• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

long term storage - glassine or cellophane?

hangten

Hey all -

Looking at how I want to keep my long term storage boxes. I picked up a roll of glassine and cellophane and was going to use the glassine to line the interior and then wrap the box with cellophane and tape seal the whole thing. But then I was thinking that glassine may be better. Wondering what the consensus is?

Hey all -

Looking at how I want to keep my long term storage boxes. I picked up a roll of glassine and cellophane and was going to use the glassine to line the interior and then wrap the box with cellophane and tape seal the whole thing. But then I was thinking that glassine may be better. Wondering what the consensus is?

WTF is glassine? You're making it way harder than it needs to be. Store your boxes the way you received them. If they're sealed, crack them open and inspect them. Then put them in your humidor. If you don't feel like opening them, then just put them in your humidor.

@kann is right.

If you have a humidor with the correct humidity %, you have nothing to worry about as Kann stated.

WTF is glassine? You're making it way harder than it needs to be. Store your boxes the way you received them. If they're sealed, crack them open and inspect them. Then put them in your humidor. If you don't feel like opening them, then just put them in your humidor.

@kann is right.

Glassine is the paper that is used in all of the cigar boxes that we buy. Back in the day before I took a hiatus from cigars all of the forums would talk about MRN and how he would seal all of his cigars for long term storage. I was even sealing them in vacuum food sealers. Now I don't think I want to preserve the freshness as MRN did with ziplocks and I did with vacuum food sealing but I am looking at setting and forgetting (for years). So by wrapping them in paper or cellophane it creates a small atmosphere for the cigars that will allow for marrying flavors yada yada yada and is still air and moisture permeable to a very small and slow measure. Also, if by chance a bugger were to hatch then that particular box would be the only box infected in the humidor.

I guess I am a little OCD here but that is what makes hobbies fun for me.

Glassine is the paper that is used in all of the cigar boxes that we buy. Back in the day before I took a hiatus from cigars all of the forums would talk about MRN and how he would seal all of his cigars for long term storage. I was even sealing them in vacuum food sealers. Now I don't think I want to preserve the freshness as MRN did with ziplocks and I did with vacuum food sealing but I am looking at setting and forgetting (for years). So by wrapping them in paper or cellophane it creates a small atmosphere for the cigars that will allow for marrying flavors yada yada yada and is still air and moisture permeable to a very small and slow measure. Also, if by chance a bugger were to hatch then that particular box would be the only box infected in the humidor.

If you create an algorithm to calculate the square root of every zip code in the United states, and then plug in every zip code in the United States you will then know the square root of every zip code in the United states.

If you create an algorithm to calculate the square root of every zip code in the United states, and then plug in every zip code in the United States you will then know the square root of every zip code in the United states.

@hangten You're making it way more difficult than it needs to be. There isn't a science to this and you don't need to create a small atmosphere for your cigars, that's what the humidor does. There is no need to preserve the freshness with zip locks or vacuum seal them either. In the end, it's your preference, but you did ask.

Back when I was new here, we used to discuss this type of thing adnauseum. The FOG's sat back and occasionally told us to "buy cigars, put them in your humidor, forget about them, smoke one when you want". But me being a type A person by nature and an Electrical Engineer by education, thought ....................... "but what if?"

I was certain that I could think of a better way ...... that was then, this is now.

Buy cigars, put them in your humidor, forget about them, smoke one when you want

Last edited: