• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Long term storage in varnished boxes

Eins

Okay, I'm opening up to a small coolerdor. Where else can I store the boxes that I understand I must store for about 354 years before they become smokable. Keeping the gars in their boxes seems to be the way you all do it, but how about varnished boxes? They can't breathe (cough, cough).

BTW, is it okay to store those boxes standing up rather than lying flat? I thought it would be easier to access boxes that way, kind of like books in a shelf.

eins

the bottoms of the boxes are not varnished...dont worry they WILL get to the same rh as your cooler in a year or two...even tubes with the cap (tightly)closed will get to the same humidity as your cooler faster than you think it would happen.

"They can't breathe (cough, cough)."i keep all my boxes/cabs closed...some people leave the tops/lids open a bit(personally i think this is a mistake)to help with stabilization/aging.

not everyone will agree but i dont believe air exchange for your cigars is a good thing...the tiny amount of air they exchange when you look at em(once or twice a year) and just sitting there is enough(for me).

as to sitting the boxes on end...i dont...i would suggest on there side as this would not put any extra stress on the head/foot.oh and leave the nail in if you are going to store upright.

derrek :)

I varnished a Mayorga box that I use for long term storage of ISOM singles. Since the box isnt airtight, the RH stays the same inside and out. In fact the slower the change in RH is probably best for your cigars.

the whole storage for long-term aging is something that I'm quite interested in, too.

from what I've read, if you're lying them down for the long haul, then the less oxygen they're exposed to, the better. "breathing" helps speed-up the aging/fermentation process, but not necessarily with the same results as had they aged in a more sealed environment.
the concept behind this is that, to quote Min Ron NEE- "fermentation provides the raw materials for aging. the slower the fermentation, the longer time these materials are continuously supplied during the aging process. these chemicals have more time to react with each other to form more complex flavours, thus a better result."

oh, and I vote for storing boxes lying flat. I'd be concerned about the stress that the weight of the cigars would put on their own heads or feet over time.
(hey, is that why bears don't hibernate standing up or in the headstand position?!) :p

Quite an interesting subject, this aging process. It is dawning on me that there are centuries of knowledge and experience to condense to form one's own take on it.

I like to leave natural processes undisturbed, but I'm almost 60 and want to enjoy the results of my patience in this life, not in the next :laugh:

Knowing a little bit about static rigidity, and seeing how stiff and hard rolled tobacco really is, I would be the least concerned to store a box upright, with the cigars standing on their feet. I think that is what I'm going to do. Actually, I believe that is less stress on them then having them lie on their delicate wrapper.

edited to add that I pity them so much that I'm going to relieve one of them of their stress right now :D

Eins...I like your attitude! :D I say enjoy 'em if ya got 'em! ;)

Floyd T. :sign:

It's actually oxidization (sp?) and not fermentation that the cigars go through once in the box. Oxygen decays the box of cigars. Fermentation occurs in bales of tobacco at over 100 degrees and is an annerobic process.

They say that a varnished box allows for better aging because there is less air exchange between the outside and inside of the box.