• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Look for a basic 40" flat panel TV

As an a/v junkie (especially in the TV and movie genre)I will concur with the group that 720p will be more than sufficient for the casual user, and Panasonic is among the top producer of new gen plasmas. But again as a casual user any LED/LCD/Plasma will be pleasing to you, so go to best buy and pick the one you think looks best and then ask them for floor model and save yourself a few bucks.....makes no sens in getting extended warranty as the technology evolves so fast that it is just not worth it...plus the odds are worse than Vegas on those things as the average payout on them is 1.5-2 cents on the dollar...
If you are going the Panasonic route (I own one of them too) make sure you check the model number concerning all the buzz on the Internet about them stepping down the power supply in the set after a certain number of hours, around 1,000 to 1,200hrs. When they did that, the black ratings changed significantly, it stopped me from buying a new Panasonic set last year and made me buy a Samsung plasma instead.

Just Goggle 'Panasonic black ratings' and I'm sure you'll get plenty of info.

All due respect he is looking for a secondary set and is admittedly not that concerned about resolution, so while I giggle with glee at all the options and fun stuff you wrote, I think he is looking for ease and you are speaking to a different target...lol

1200 hours and I would want a new set anyway, and at todays prices it is realistic as well....especially for those sets of which you speak as they look great even with that "endgame flaw", plus most of them were discontinued and discounted for that very cause making them cheaper......win-win me thinks..lol
Glad I was able to make you giggle my friend...I aim to please...lol

While I defer to you as an expert and would never doubt your opinion, all the options I mentioned above are on my bedroom TV that cost less than $325 (with a Costco coupon)...lol

Also, with all due respect, most of us couldn't afford a new TV every 1,000/1,200 hours or so...do the math, you'd be buying a new TV every year!....talk about making someone giggle...lol

Gary i buy tv every month twice actually once from cablevision and once from netflix

I am leaning toward this Sharp unit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NOZMSY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

After taxes I will have $425 at the local Costco or Best Buy. There were some sweet deals on 1080p, 120 Hz LCD Panasonics a few weeks ago. I may sit and wait to see what pops up. Thanks guys!

I'll say it again - if you can find what you want at Costco, you get 90 days to take it back for a full refund, and an extra year on your warranty for no extra cost. I think both those are significant......

Good luck - B.B.S.