• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a decent scotch.

americanfighter

I drink bourbon more than anything else however I would like to try some scotch. So I was wondering if you guys knee of a scotch that is pretty good but doesn't brake the bank. I am thinking in the 20 to 30 dollar range.

The only scotch i have had JW black lable and though it was a little harsh.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

If it was me, I'd look into the wealth of Scotch (and other) reviews that our esteemed member "AVB" has written.

Scotch is an acquired taste. There are so many different flavor profiles that experimentation is your best bet. I think Glenfiddich is a very good, reasonably priced single malt. Like MadMonk, I think you would be wise to visit AVB's reviews. There is a wealth of information for you to peruse.

There isn't a whole lot of Scotch IN the $20-30 range, actually.

If JWB tasted "harsh" to you, try Dewar's White Label or Chivas Regal. All are quality blendeds, but Dewar's is the mildest of the three. In single malts, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are . . . inoffensive.

~Boar

If JWB is too harsh, I really don't think you will find much that will be more agreeable. Water it down a little and get an appreciation for the flavors and gradually add less and less H20.

If that doesn't work, move on and don't force it life is short drink what you like.

Yea nothing wrong with that. I was drinking Makers 46 last night and added just two drops of water and the flavors and aromas came out beautifully. Before I took the time to appreciate drinking things neat I could drink Walker Blue and it would still taste bad. Take the time to read some reviews and figure out what to look for in a drink. AVB's reviews helped immensely because I was able to think "oh that's what I taste". Now I can appreciate both a low dollar scotch and a high dollar scotch equally.

I'm not a big scotch guy but I had a client give me a bottle of Oban a few weeks ago and damn was it good! May be getting into it more as well instead of mostly bourbon.

cool thanks guys I will give those a try. Today is my birthday so I will see if I can convince someone to get me one of the single malt scotches

Aberfeldy 12 would be and is always my suggestion for new scotch drinkers. To me it has a lot of citrus flavors. a couple drops of water is a great idea to cool it off. Aberfeldy makes Dewars. I'd stay way from the white label.

I'm kind of curious how you drink your boubon and did you drink the Johnnie Walker Black the same way?

And if not, why?

I'm kind of curious how you drink your boubon and did you drink the Johnnie Walker Black the same way?

And if not, why?

On the rocks for both. JW may have just hit me weird because it was the first time i tried scotch. My favorite bourbons are Jefferson's, Jim beam bookers, Woodford, and for a bargin, Jim Beam devils cut

Haha all that stuff has a bite to it too. It'll take time to get accustomed to scotch. IMHO sometimes the flavors aren't hit you in the face like bourbons.

Not going to find much at $20-30 for single malt. Even for good blends that is on the lower end of the scale however there are some out there. Dewar's as mentioned, Famous Grouse and Grant's. I would suggest a different way of getting used to scotch instead of adding water until you like it and then cutting back. Add a ice cube and as it melts keep trying, you'll see how water changes the taste and get a pretty good idea of how much water you like in your drink. A standard ice maker ice cube is about 3 tablespoons of water.

But what do I know. ;)

Thanks for all the replies. I think i am going to give Glenlivet 12yo a try. A little more money than I wanted to spend but it comes with allot of recommendation from around the web as a bang for you buck (also since its my birthday I will live a little). I will reply after I try it.

Thanks again

AF

I'm kind of curious how you drink your bourbon and did you drink the Johnnie Walker Black the same way?

And if not, why?

On the rocks for both. JW may have just hit me weird because it was the first time i tried scotch. My favorite bourbons are Jefferson's, Jim beam bookers, Woodford, and for a bargain, Jim Beam devils cut

I don't think the problem was the bottle of scotch you chose. As you found out scotch doesn't taste like bourbon. The next time you are going to have 2-3 drinks start with bourbon before trying the JW Black. I bet over the period of 4-5 drinking sessions you will adjust to the flavor profile of scotch. JW Black is right up there with anything in it's price range in my opinion.

There are very few people, in my experience, who like both bourbon and scotch. Ray is one of the few.

Doc

Get yourself some Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Might as well jump right in with both feet. :whistling: