• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a good Champagne

Black Plague

And I mean REAL Champagne, not that shit that Korbel calls "champagne." I mean Champagne from the actual Champagne AOC.

...but I don't want to pay Dom Pérignon prices either.

If it helps, the occassion is my girlfriend being accepted to nursing school at IUPUI. So, for her tastes, something a little lighter and sweeter would probably be preferable. Perhaps a blanc de blancs?

Help me out, wine snobs! Thanks in advance. :)

I am no wine snob, but Laura and I love this. And it is a bit sweeter and very reasonably priced for what you get. Of course, it isn't from France.

My favorite NV Champagne, is Moet & Chandon Nectar Imperial. Definitely a lighter, sweeter champagne. It is widely available and I believe a bottle runs me around $34 here in Massachusetts.
Nectar.jpg

Although, I think your celebration calls for a vintage champagne. I just picked up a bottle of Perrier Jouet La Fleur, my favorite bottle in a some what limited experience. The '96 was on the shelves where I purchased; I have a feeling there may be more '98 out there. It will save you a few bucks at $99.99 as compared to the $120 I believe a '98 Dom sells for.
PerrierJouetFleur.jpg

No matter what you choose, all champagne seems just a little bit sweeter when you are celebrating. Best of luck to your girlfriend.

There are MANY sparkling wines that are just as good if not better than Champagnes and there are some bad sparkling wines as well. I prefer sparklings that are at least made in the true méthode champenoise that are barrel aged in French oak for the first fermentation.

If you insist on a "Champagne" just because you're going for the name only and don't know or care to know anything else regarding sparkling wines then Perrier Jouet is an option.

As far as "blanc de blancs" there are sparklings and Champagnes that are made with pinot noir and chardonnay grapes for example that are just as "light and sweet" as blanc de blancs. I prefer these over blanc de blancs. Personally I think "sweet" sparkling wines are disgusting and can't recommend them. Perrier Jouet is made from chardonnay and pinot noir and a very small percentage of one or two other grapes (I think but I'm not sure).

There are MANY sparkling wines that are just as good if not better than Champagnes and there are some bad sparkling wines as well. I prefer sparklings that are at least made in the true méthode champenoise that are barrel aged in French oak for the first fermentation.

I'm very familiar with Italian sparkling wines (prosecco, asti, etc.), just never had a good Champagne and was curious to try.

Out of curiosity, what good wines from the US, South Africa, Aussie, etc. are there that are made in the méthode champenoise? (definitely not the aforementioned Korbel :barf:)

Out of curiosity, what good wines from the US, South Africa, Aussie, etc. are there that are made in the méthode champenoise? (definitely not the aforementioned Korbel :barf:)

Hopkins Vineyard Gold @ $35.00 per bottle is one that I prefer but it sounds like you're looking for something a little more high end than this particular one.

All Korbel is manufactured with the "méthode champenois."

May be made the traditional way...but the bottles I've had at New Years Eve parties have certainly been far from good, at least to my taste.

If Korbel is supposed to be a good non-French champagne, then maybe I just don't like champagne :laugh:

If not, there's always different Italian frizzantes, which are sweet enough that my lady will drink 'em.

Not a big Champagne fan here but I can tolerate Freixenet for toasts and holidays. Cheap bastard that I am.

@ CasaSoho

The local liquor store has a very nice selection of wines, and taking a list of suggested champagnes with me and asking the in-house wine expert, I ended up going with the Moët & Chandon Nectar Impérial. Thanks all you guys for your help! :thumbs:

@ CasaSoho

The local liquor store has a very nice selection of wines, and taking a list of suggested champagnes with me and asking the in-house wine expert, I ended up going with the Moët & Chandon Nectar Impérial. Thanks all you guys for your help! :thumbs:

I hope you enjoy. The Wife and I used this as our go to celebrating bottle back when she was The Girlfriend. At the time, she didn't care for most Champagnes but this was light and sweet enough for her.

@ CasaSoho

When seeing your description of what she likes, that was actually what I was going to recommend. Kept reading and realized I was a day late and a dollar short. But, she should enjoy it. And congrats to her on the milestone.

Not a big Champagne fan here but I can tolerate Freixenet for toasts and holidays. Cheap bastard that I am.

I was going to mention that one AVB, it's one of my favorites! :thumbs: I prefer the Cordon Negro Extra Dry over the Brut. It's made in Spain utilizing the "méthode champenois" and considering its price (less than $15.00 per bottle) it's probably one of the best deals going on sparkling wine. :)

And I mean REAL Champagne, not that shit that Korbel calls "champagne." I mean Champagne from the actual Champagne AOC.

If it helps, the occassion is my girlfriend being accepted to nursing school at IUPUI. So, for her tastes, something a little lighter and sweeter would probably be preferable. Perhaps a blanc de blancs?

Three reasonable "Champagnes" that I currrently have in regular rotation are:

Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve, $29.99
92 points Wine Spectator: "Full-bodied and intensely flavored, this exhibits mature characteristics of candied fruit, coffee and vanilla pastry, along with fresh lemon and ginger accents. Seamless harmony and texture with a long, long finish. The majority of the blend is from the 1997 harvest, with approximately 40% reserve wines from the 1989 to 1995 vintages. It is aged roughly four years on its lees."

Ariston Aspasie Brut Prestige Champagne, $34.99
This is pure vintage 1998, but it is not labeled as such. Paul Vincent Ariston says that his 25 year-old vines reflect the vintage, but the Prestige, made from vines averaging 60 years, reflect his terroir. He feels that putting a vintage date on this wine would be an insult to his best vineyard plots. It is composed of 50% chardonnay, 25% pinot noir and 25% meunier. This was one of the best bottles from my 2005 trip, and we drank two just to make sure! It has fantastic Brouillet black cherry power, and finishes very dry and super long. It is a powerhouse in the style of a vintage Bollinger, but with even more soul! (Gary Westby, K&L Champagne and Sherry buyer)

Tarlant Brut Zero Champagne, $27.99
Do you like dry Champagne? A real brut style? Well, this is it-a no-dosage-added beauty from Tarlant! It is a vibrant, even electric style of Champagne, with no sweetness whatsoever to cloud the purity of its flavor. Unlike some other "ultra brut" Champagnes, this wine has great texture and richness, mostly from a generous use of reserve wines and barrel ageing. This is a great introduction to this style of wine! Tarlant is one of a handful of cult producers in Champagne, but unlike most other trendy estates, they have been around for a while-since 1687! This wine is a blend of '00, '99 and '98 with the two older vintages stored in wood vats prior to bottling. The composition is pinot noir (1/3), pinot meunier (1/3) and chardonnay (1/3). All of the fruit comes from hillside vineyards in Oeuilly in the Vallee de la Marne. The Tarlant family uses organic practices in the vineyard, but they are very coy about calling themselves organic, no doubt due to the family's prominence in the vignerons association in Champagne. (Gary Westby, K&L Champagne and Sherry Buyer)

:cool:

ok, first of all let me say that I own a wine shop
The best quality champagne/value is Pol Roger nv for about 40 or under
check it out

check it out
???

I dunno rbbrock, probably a guy surfing the 'net for "champagne" or something similar who came across this thread and has something very constructive to offer so he decided to sign up and give a suggestion.

I never heard of Pol Roger but I did check it out as vinounlim suggested and I think his recommendation is a very good one. The next time I'm looking for a sparkling wine, I'm going to see if I can get a bottle of this to try.

Thanks vinounlim! :thumbs:

check it out
???

I dunno rbbrock, probably a guy surfing the 'net for "champagne" or something similar who came across this thread and has something very constructive to offer so he decided to sign up and give a suggestion.

I never heard of Pol Roger but I did check it out as vinounlim suggested and I think his recommendation is a very good one. The next time I'm looking for a sparkling wine, I'm going to see if I can get a bottle of this to try.

Thanks vinounlim! :thumbs:

Hah, just a wandering good samaritan, spreading his love one forum at a time. Well if you find a bottle, let us know how you liked it! I've heard of Pol Roger (all good things, actually) but have never tasted any.

check it out

Well, if your a wine shop owner then it must be good ;) .

I actually tried the Pol Roger White Foil and the '98 at a tasting last year along with 60-70 other Vintage, non-vintage, prestige and QPR's and the Pol roger didn't really stand out as anything special. Other than a note that the Champagne lists for ~$20, but I still don't have any in the cellar ..... perhaps I should give it another try someday. Then again, I have found a couple stellar sub $40 wines that I keep in regular rotation.

:cool:

Much like cigars, the smaller producers of Champagne tend to make the more interesting bubbly. I think of Moet Chandon as the Champagne counterpart of Macanudo and Vueve Cliquot like Cohiba Red Dot. Look for some of the nonvintage selections from Champagne houses like Alfred Gratien and Billecart-Salmon.

while this isn't "champagne" it's good for the $. It's all my g/f will drink as well.

Martini & Rossi Asti. Slightly sweet without the bitter, can be had for $9-12 a bottle or $18-25 a magnum.

Moet White Star would be my runner up for slightly more.