• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a humidor.

DraXxus1549

Hey after looking around this site for a while, I have come to the conclusion that I need a humidor. I don't smoke very often, so I am thinking that something that holds around 50 cigars would be perfect for me to start collecting, I am not made of money so anything below $50 I will definitely be interested in looking at.

Also I know nothing about humidor maintenance but I am sure I will be able to find information on that somewhere on this board.

I've bought two from www.famous-smoke.com and one from www.cheaphumidors.com. Happy with all three of them and both have very reasonable prices imho.

If you're going to spend some time on these forums, you might want to go ahead and get a cooler. They are inexpensive and with some Heartfelt beads and a digital hygro, they are an easy solution. Check out the Coolidor 101 pinned thread above here for some good info on how to do it. They aren't much to look at but they certainly do the job and do it well.

Do some searching and read the stickies at the top of this forum. You'll see that this has been covered many times now.

That said, here were my steps to humidor nirvana:

1) Find a cool place to store the cigars (below 75 or so to prevent beetles from hatching)

2) Find a cooler to store your cigars (desktop humidors are really just for show. They're cool looking, but not very functional because of the size). If you REALLY want a wood humidor, then plan on getting at least a 300 ct or larger, but I'd recommend an end table, coffee table, or cabinet setup. However, for a novice, a cooler is a much better solution, because most people have one laying around. Also, decent large size humidors can easily run more than $500. That's insane in my opinion.

3) Humidity beads from here: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/ I recommend 65% if you live in a humid area or prefer more "open" smokes. Otherwise, 70% should be good.

4) Distilled water for the beads. Megamart brand is fine

5) Get a cheapo digital hygrometer from walmart or radioshack. DO NOT RELY ON A MECHANICAL HYGROMETER. THEY SUCK. Do a salt test to see how far off it is and make a note. Mine read high by ~2% (says 67% when it's really 65%). Here's the instructions: http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=49237

6) Get an empty cigar box or two. My local tobacco shop sells them for $2 a piece and donates the money to charity. Any regular cigar smoker will most likely have plenty they are willing to part with.

7) Put your beads, boxes and hygrometer in the cooler. Wet the beads per the instructions with distilled water. Give the humidor a week or so to "condition".

8) Stock your cigars in the boxes and take pleasure in the fact that your "humidor" only cost you around $30 to $60 for everything. You now have more money to spend on smokes than if you had bought an expensive one from somewhere else. Plus you have enough room to store several boxes of cigars.

* You think you don't need a large humidor. You do. Trust us. Desktop humi's are never large enough, even for casual smokers. Remember that cigars can keep for upwards of 5 years. Most are better when smoked with some age (6 months to 1 year). Unless you plan on smoking less than a cigar a month, a desktop is just not going to be big enough. Remember that a 150ct doesn't not equal 150 cigars (maybe 150 AF short stories :laugh: ). Most retailers are a bit ambitious in their claims regarding cigar counts.

I have a fairly large desktop humidor and it works just fine... for my singles. The 15 other boxes are in my coolerdor, hahaha

Do some searching and read the stickies at the top of this forum. You'll see that this has been covered many times now.

That said, here were my steps to humidor nirvana:

1) Find a cool place to store the cigars (below 75 or so to prevent beetles from hatching)

2) Find a cooler to store your cigars (desktop humidors are really just for show. They're cool looking, but not very functional because of the size). If you REALLY want a wood humidor, then plan on getting at least a 300 ct or larger, but I'd recommend an end table, coffee table, or cabinet setup. However, for a novice, a cooler is a much better solution, because most people have one laying around. Also, decent large size humidors can easily run more than $500. That's insane in my opinion.

3) Humidity beads from here: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/ I recommend 65% if you live in a humid area or prefer more "open" smokes. Otherwise, 70% should be good.

4) Distilled water for the beads. Megamart brand is fine

5) Get a cheapo digital hygrometer from walmart or radioshack. DO NOT RELY ON A MECHANICAL HYGROMETER. THEY SUCK. Do a salt test to see how far off it is and make a note. Mine read high by ~2% (says 67% when it's really 65%). Here's the instructions: http://www.cigarpass...showtopic=49237

6) Get an empty cigar box or two. My local tobacco shop sells them for $2 a piece and donates the money to charity. Any regular cigar smoker will most likely have plenty they are willing to part with.

7) Put your beads, boxes and hygrometer in the cooler. Wet the beads per the instructions with distilled water. Give the humidor a week or so to "condition".

8) Stock your cigars in the boxes and take pleasure in the fact that your "humidor" only cost you around $30 to $60 for everything. You now have more money to spend on smokes than if you had bought an expensive one from somewhere else. Plus you have enough room to store several boxes of cigars.

* You think you don't need a large humidor. You do. Trust us. Desktop humi's are never large enough, even for casual smokers. Remember that cigars can keep for upwards of 5 years. Most are better when smoked with some age (6 months to 1 year). Unless you plan on smoking less than a cigar a month, a desktop is just not going to be big enough. Remember that a 150ct doesn't not equal 150 cigars (maybe 150 AF short stories :laugh: ). Most retailers are a bit ambitious in their claims regarding cigar counts.

I agree with this, however, you don't need to get a large cooler off the bat. My first humidor was a large rubbermaid lunchbox.:cool:

Just know that if you plan to hang out here that whatever you choose its NOT big enough :laugh:

Brian

Haha thats awesome. I don't smoke that often, so I think that 50 would hold me over for a while. I think I would rather spend the money and get a nice looking one lol, rather than keeping a cooler around.

Just know that if you plan to hang out here that whatever you choose its NOT big enough :laugh:

Brian

Agreed! I'm about to have to upgrade to a bigger cooler. My 90qt, is full of boxes. I might can squeeze one or two more in there but that's pushing it. I have a 50 count on the bar that has low-mid grade singles in it for when friends come over and want a smoke. My good stuffs in the cooler.

Even still, I strongly recommend at least going with a 100 count. One reason is that the count is always over-estimated. In other words in a 50 count you'll be lucky to get 40 or so robusto/toro in there.

Another reason is that you'll start to realize it's good to store cigars over long periods of time before smoking.. for aging purposes and so you're not running out every couple weeks buying more and smoking them all right away when they need a little down time to smoke right.

I started with a 25 count, and jumped to a 100 count within a couple months. That lasted until I got my first beetle and realized my house gets too warm to store cigars... and now I'm running a 28 bottle vinotemp to regulate the temps and I think it's the perfect amount of storage for me. I smoke these days about 4-5 a week. When I arrived at these forums almost 2 years ago, I smoked about 1 a week. :)

I understand where you are coming from about getting a nice humidor. I also hear what the guys are saying about going bigger. A 50 ct will probably only hold 25 cigars by the time you get different sizes in there as well as some beads to keep them stored properly. Check out some of those links and keep in mind you can always add that coolidor for not too much money later on!

Haha thats awesome. I don't smoke that often, so I think that 50 would hold me over for a while. I think I would rather spend the money and get a nice looking one lol, rather than keeping a cooler around.

Keep in mind, cigars are better with age. Go ahead though and get the small humidor. You'll be back. They always come back. :laugh:

I you want something to show off. Get a vinotemp. Those can be made to look pretty nice.

Excellent call on the vino. I have two small vino's (9 bottles) I bought for $10 each at a place in Norcross, GA called Glbal Freight Liquidators.

That vinotemp, which from my understanding is a wine refrigerator more or less. Seems like a really interesting idea it seems a little big, I say this because I currently live in a dorm room, so having an additional mini fridge sized vinotemp in there may not be such a good fit. This is mainly why I want to get something smaller.

At the very least you'll want a 300 countish double-decker. The top tray will hold plenty of singles, but eventually, you'll come across a deal on a box of cigars you really, really like. My 300 holds 2-4 boxes underneath, and about 50 in the top tray. Been using it for several years now, and while I have to break out a cooler every now and again, it's mostly enough storage for my needs.

~Boar

If you want small and cheap just go with a tupperdor bro. $10 or less and you get a good sized tupperware, another $15 and you throw some beads in and you are golden. It is what I use here in Iraq and it keeps great.

If you want small and cheap just go with a tupperdor bro. $10 or less and you get a good sized tupperware, another $15 and you throw some beads in and you are golden. It is what I use here in Iraq and it keeps great.

Agreed.

Also, remember they make coolers in all sizes. ;)

I agree with this, however, you don't need to get a large cooler off the bat. My first humidor was a large rubbermaid lunchbox.
cool.gif
What the heck - go large. I did, and I filled the unused volume with bubble wrap. Works perfectly.....
thumbs-up.gif