• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking For A New Laptop

I can get you corporate pricing on anything Dell, so if you want anything from their line LMK!

Thanks!

I switched to Lenovo a few years ago and I've been pleased with them.

Rod said:
I've been debating this as well and have pretty much settled on a mac since Win 8 came out. Wife gets a student discount making it slightly more attractive as well. 

Go refurbished and it's even more attractive. Apple's definition of refurbished is not the same as a PC manufacturer.
I don't think it's possible to get a student discount on a refurb pricing? I may be wrong though, just not finding it. 

JHolmes763 said:
Apple's definition of refurbished is not the same as a PC manufacturer.
LOL... the koolaid is strong with this one.

FYI, you can get new, redistributed, refurbished or scratch&dent Lenovo through their outlet here. I've never bought this way, though, so you're on your own. I doubt the come with the free reacharound that a Mac refurbished does, but maybe you can save enough to afford one?

No koolaid here.  I have some buddies who work for Apple corporate, and am well aware of their refurbished policy.  Any Apple computer that is returned to Apple for whatever reason gets sent back to China.  It then gets fully disassembled and re-built; any defective parts get replaced.  That includes replacing the screen or shell (case) if any blemishes are seen.  They then ship it to the customer in a plain brown box (no fancy Apple packaging), and call it refurbished.  I've purchased three computers from Apple this way and couldn't be happier.  Their customer service is by far better than any company I've seen.  If you drop your iPad and it shatters (assuming it's still under warranty), Apple has been known to replace it (one time) free of charge.  If out of warranty, they'll give you a significant discount on a new one.

I'm no Apple fan boy, just prefer to use what works. ;) This, coming from someone who grew up building computers in the 80's/90's, and who's career is in IT.  Formatting your hard drive every 2 years because of Windows corruption issues becomes very tiresome.  I've also never had an OS upgrade go as smooth as of a Mac (OSX).  I have numerous reasons for going Mac.  While they're great computers, they're not perfect either, though it's as close to perfect as I personally need.

Ben - You are correct, you cannot use both the student discount and the refurb discount, however the refurb discount is usually a better deal.  If you know someone who works for Apple, you can get an additional discount on any refurbished item.  If you know them well enough, they may even give you their 25% employee discount; I think they can only purchase two items per year at 25% off.

Not here to debate which is better; both PC and Mac have their place.  Go with what works best for you.  

Good luck.

Suggest the MacBook and getting the additional warranty for about $100 if you shop it. Your in the clear for three years, and I believe you already own an Apple iPad if I remember ( and I don't remember we'll). Do you really want to run MS?

Forgot to mention how beautiful the baby is.

Rod said:

FYI, you can get new, redistributed, refurbished or scratch&dent Lenovo through their outlet here. I've never bought this way, though, so you're on your own. I doubt the come with the free reacharound that a Mac refurbished does, but maybe you can save enough to afford one?

Ben - You are correct, you cannot use both the student discount and the refurb discount, however the refurb discount is usually a better deal.  If you know someone who works for Apple, you can get an additional discount on any refurbished item.  If you know them well enough, they may even give you their 25% employee discount; I think they can only purchase two items per year at 25% off.

Ahh gotcha. Looks like I need to find someone who is an employee. Not opposed to going the refurbished route. I've got my eye on the 15in retina. 

I concur with Rod on the Apple refurb thing. I've bought 2 iPads and an ipod and both looked new out of the plain box they ship it in. New bezels, new glass, and a new battery come standard with each refurb. All are running flawlessly and the oldest is an iPad 1 that will be 3 years old next month.

bfisher88 said:

Ahh gotcha. Looks like I need to find someone who is an employee. Not opposed to going the refurbished route. I've got my eye on the 15in retina. 

Authorized reseller here, would be glad to send out a 15 to you close to cost which is about 10 points, more on the apple care. Shipping is free and since you're out of my home state you wouldn't have to claim sales tax at the time of purchase (Or at all if that's how "Utah" rolls).

This past weekend I decided to pull the trigger.  I bought a Mac Book Pro with Retina Display.  It's got a 13 inch screen with 8 Gigs of RAM and a 256 Gig solid state drive.  Since I am a grad. student I got a student discount.  It was slightly more expensive than the Dell XPS I bought a few years back, so not so bad.