• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a Red Sox fan

AngryFishH

Official Big Fish
With all the hubbub recently about how Jeter is the worst shortstop in baseball I would like to propose a premium 5'er ($6-$10 ea.) wager. On ESPN radio the other day I was listening to Red Sox fans explain how Jeter was overrated and clearly the worst shortstop in the game (referencing the report published by the University of Pennsylvania) and how Julio Lugo was one of the best.

First trying to believe that Jeter (in the last 3 years Gold Glove in '04, '05, '06, Hank Aaron award '06, Silver Slugger '06, '07) is worse then Jason Bartlett (Ray's), Jack Wilson (Pirates), Troy Tulowitzki (Rockies) or even Ryan Theriot (Cubs) was laughable. Then to think that journeyman Julio Lugo is one of the best was hysterical.

So, I will offer this bet to see who indeed is the best shortstop. Let's take 5 common stat categories and whoever leads in more categories after the last game of the season wins.

Rules:

After the last game of the year both players will be judged on:

AVG.
Hits
HR
Errors
OBP

1. If you player fails to get 300 AB's his stats don't count. This way there is no stat freezing while on the DL.
2. If an EOS stat ends in a tie we will use head to head stats for that specific stat instead.
3. If you have less then 100 posts or have been on the site less then 3 months PM me first and we can work something out.

Is there anyone here who really thinks Lugo is better?

Fish

With all the hubbub recently about how Jeter is the worst shortstop in baseball I would like to propose a premium 5'er ($6-$10 ea.) wager. On ESPN radio the other day I was listening to Red Sox fans explain how Jeter was overrated and clearly the worst shortstop in the game (referencing the report published by the University of Pennsylvania) and how Julio Lugo was one of the best.

First trying to believe that Jeter (in the last 3 years Gold Glove in '04, '05, '06, Hank Aaron award '06, Silver Slugger '06, '07) is worse then Jason Bartlett (Ray's), Jack Wilson (Pirates), Troy Tulowitzki (Rockies) or even Ryan Theriot (Cubs) was laughable. Then to think that journeyman Julio Lugo is one of the best was hysterical.

So, I will offer this bet to see who indeed is the best shortstop. Let's take 5 common stat categories and whoever leads in more categories after the last game of the season wins.

Rules:

AVG.
Hits
HR
Errors
OBP

1. If you player fails to get 300 AB's his stats don't count. This way there is no stat freezing while on the DL.
2. If an EOS stat ends in a tie we will use head to head stats for that specific stat instead.
3. If you have less then 100 posts or have been on the site less then 3 months PM me first and we can work something out.

Fish
I'm a HUGE fan of the sox but I've got to give you that one. Jeter is one of the best

Well, I see ESPN managed to wind you up pretty good. I don't know any knowlegable RS fan who believes that crap. It was also poo pooed on NESN. Jeter is a fine shortstop. I'd take him over Lugo any day in the week.

Doc.

Well I never thought we would agree on Yanks/Sox Doc.

The whole thing seemed like it was hype to get the Jeter/A-Rod discussion back to the front page when it first came out. But when I heard the 1/2 hour dedicated to it on ESPN radio I thought some of those "short time" Red Sox fans had been drinking too much of the company Kool-Aid.

I will leave the bet open for a few days just in case I can entice (or infuriate) someone enough to take it.

Fish

Yeah that's nonsense. Don't get me wrong, the yankees suck (NH born and raised) but I have a lot of respect for the players and Jeter is a great shortstop.

Rules:

AVG.
Hits
HR
Errors
OBP

Fish

Typical Yankme's fan...

long on words

short on WS titles (these last few years)

:sign: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

seriously...

everyone knows that Jeter swallows

GO RED SOX

edited to add: just wait until the biggest turncoat fan of them all sees this thread... Vince, where are you?

That mean you are taking the bet Seadub?

Fish

Count me in.

edited to add: you're taking Jeter... I'll take the short stop who starts for the Sox, if it's Lugo then it's Lugo.

And how 'bout a side bet that my Sox once again finish ahead of the yanks ???

Fish

Count me in.

edited to add: you're taking Jeter... I'll take the short stop who starts for the Sox, if it's Lugo then it's Lugo.

For the first bet. Initially this was about who is the better SS, Lugo or Jeter. My guess is that you are looking at Jed Lowrie coming up or trading for someone better so how about this. Whoever you have starting opening day is your guy. If he doesn't get the minimum 300 AB's then his stats don't count.

For the side bet. Want to do a second fiver on who has the better record at the end of the regular season? Let's also say that if there is a tie we also go to the season series for the tiebreaker.

Sound fair to you?

Fish

Edited to add "regular" season

I will take both Seadubs bets if he is brave enough...... Turncoat my butt, just beacuse I lived in Boston and took you and your Dutch hussie to a game once does not make me a Benedict Arnold.....a couple of wins every hundred years does not make me sweat your nonsense either....

:cool:

I will take both Seadubs bets if he is brave enough...... Turncoat my butt, just beacuse I lived in Boston and took you and your Dutch hussie to a game once does not make me a Benedict Arnold.....a couple of wins every hundred years does not make me sweat your nonsense either....

:cool:

HA!

So Seadub, will you cover us both? How much faith do you really have in your team?

Fish

Fish

Count me in.

For the first bet. Initially this was about who is the better SS, Lugo or Jeter. My guess is that you are looking at Jed Lowrie coming up or trading for someone better so how about this. Whoever you have starting opening day is your guy. If he doesn't get the minimum 300 AB's then his stats don't count.

For the side bet. Want to do a second fiver on who has the better record at the end of the regular season? Let's also say that if there is a tie we also go to the season series for the tiebreaker.

Sound fair to you?

Fish

Edited to add "regular" season

I don't think there's an issue with Lugo being the SS but I'll take the bet with whatever SS the Sox put in their lineup that meets the criteria that you've put down. And let's make it whoever gets farther towards a penant. Screw the regular season record... let's take it to the WS so even the Wildcard could pull an upset (we'll give the yanks a sporting chance :sign: ).

--------------cue the music------------------

---------------------The clouds part and a ray of orange, dappled Sunlight shines brightly------------

I have FAITH in the BOSTON RED SOX.

So, yes, I'll take your bet Fish and because a certain jackass piped in... I'll cover Vince's silly ass as well.

Wow... I'll take a few shots (like McNamee in Clemens' ass). 2008 will be a fun season. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am good with the Shortstop bet, consider it official.

For the second team bet. Why won't you make it for who wins the AL East? Are you afriad that the Sox will limp in like they have done ohhh so many times in the last 10 years? What are you worried about, you signed the 400lb Bartolo Colon today. He almost gurantees you 100 wins... :laugh:

Take the bet for best record and I will side bet you again when the playoffs start.

Fish

I am good with the Shortstop bet, consider it official.

For the second team bet. Why won't you make it for who wins the AL East? Are you afriad that the Sox will limp in like they have done ohhh so many times in the last 10 years? What are you worried about, you signed the 400lb Bartolo Colon today. He almost gurantees you 100 wins... :laugh:

Take the bet for best record and I will side bet you again when the playoffs start.

Fish

Uh... actually I was giving your team a chance to sneak in. You want it to be boring... so be it. Consider it done.

Colon will come out firing along with the rest of the lineup. This will be a fun season.

Here's another bet for you fish...

Ramirez/Ortiz vs. arod/giambi

The wager = which duo gets the most HRs and RBIs. a tie decided by OBP

I'm not falling for that one. Giambi is as useless as teets on a bull. I will be extremely happy when his money comes off the books next year and we sign CC Sabathia with it. :D Plus, I think Morgan Ensberg has the line on the 1st base job and might be the regular by the all-star break.

I have a feeling we will be side betting all year...

Fish

I'm not falling for that one. Giambi is as useless as teets on a bull. I will be extremely happy when his money comes off the books next year and we sign CC Sabathia with it. :D Plus, I think Morgan Ensberg has the line on the 1st base job and might be the regular by the all-star break.

I have a feeling we will be side betting all year...

Fish

Fish... this is a perfect example of the difference between a yanks fan and a BOSTON RED SOX fan.

The BOSTON RED SOX fan has learned a degree of FAITH through years and years of miraculous loses and humiliation. This is a FAITH that even leads to making wagers that border on the silly (I know jeter is one of the best in the league... but FAITH allows me to accept your bet). FAITH is a foreign concept to the yanks fan, they've had titles handed to them and the luck always fell their way.

In this case, Fish, you use your head. Ramirez/Ortiz would crush whatever the yanks put in the heart of their order... there is no question. But what about having FAITH, Fish, in your team (even in arod) that they'll pull off some show of batting supremecy?

Being a BOSTON RED SOX fan is certainly a gift. I'm grateful I grew up on the right side of the block.

edited to add: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D

Seadub reminds me of story. Back in the '50's, when the Sox were what was called back then, a second division team, My father was giving me a ride home from Little League practice. I asked him, "What team should I root for, dad". A very serious look appeared on his face. Very somberly he replied,"You don't have any choice son, you're a Red Sox fan". It's a fuggin' religion around here. There's no other way to explain it.

Doc.