• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a "starter" CC

Jayb

Hey All, I'm very curious about CC's, but being a newb, it's a little intimidating. I think that I would enjoy them from the descriptions here, I enjoy something full flavored, but I'm not a big fan of spice dominating my palate. Also I love a creamy smoke, something that reminds me of the old fashioned cream soda my grandfather always had. From doing a few searches, I've seen the Upman Sir Winston recommended, but it seems a little pricey atm. Any other suggestions would be great.

Belinda would be the first...alphabetically! ;)

But Bolivars are said to be flavorful!

Let us know what NCs you like and we can recommend CCs based on that.

Otherwise, try a RASS (Ramon Allones Specially Selected). They are inexpensive and tasty. It's a flavorful medium bodied smoke that shouldn't disappoint any new or experienced CC smoker.

Jayb

worried about strong bold cuban cigars...try anything churchill.
i find churchills to lack strength and flavours compared to my beloved petit coronas.

derrek

PSD4, R&J Ex#4, Cuaba's are creamy, Trinidad Reyes, R&J Cazadores for a cheap full body cigar, Sancho Panza belis, H Upmann #2......

R&J Cazadores for a cheap full body cigar.

I wouldn't say the Cazadore is a full bodied cigar. Its probably the strongest ISOM on the market. Sure it is cheap and not a very pretty cigar to look at either. This is the cigar you recommend if the person really likes strong cigars like LFD cigars. I personally think the Cazadore is one sided with just strength in mind. I still love them for that very reason but I don't see much else going on with them.

If you really want to try to H. Upmann and are looking for an affordable option...try the aluminum tubos. The Coronas Major, Coronas Junior and Corona Minor are all quite affordable.

Monte #2, PSD4, or RASS. But then again, that about encompasses my whole ISOM experience.

R&J Cazadores for a cheap full body cigar.

I wouldn't say the Cazadore is a full bodied cigar. Its probably the strongest ISOM on the market. Sure it is cheap and not a very pretty cigar to look at either. This is the cigar you recommend if the person really likes strong cigars like LFD cigars. I personally think the Cazadore is one sided with just strength in mind. I still love them for that very reason but I don't see much else going on with them.

I agree!

Get a sampler seleccion of 10 different common CCs. Many dealers offer them. A couple I like that are creamy and interesting are the Upmann Mag 46 and HdM No. 2 (or Petite Robusto).

Had a buddy of mine visiting from out of town, had his first CC's w/ me. I gave him a Rome Y Julieta Short Churchill Tubo and and Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure no. 1, I think one of my first was an Hoyo Epi no. 2, which was recommended. if you get the chance to have anything with one year plus age on it, it should be rather enjoyable. Whatever you decide I think the best for the budget are the 3 packs, boxes of 10 or getting a sampler of singles.

Enjoy!!! :D

Hoyo Epi #2---creamy, flavorful, and mild. Great starter CC and still a personal favorite.

~Boar

I'll second that recommendation. This is the cigar I handed out when my son was born.

Great time of year for these guys too... I don't know what it is, but I get a nice, citrusy note out of them that screams "pair me with a heffe and smoke me in the summer!" I think I'll do just that later on today. :)

As far as a great starter goes, it's hard to say. You really should just get your hands on whatever you can and start exploring. Keep in mind consistency is always an issue with any cigar but even more so among Cubans, so don't write off a cigar if your first one was a dud. Also, keep your expectations in check, or you may be disappointed. Cubans are not necessarily better than NCs, they're just different.

The HDM #2 is a fine choice, for a milder, pleasant everyday, midday smoke, but for a bit more complexity I would highly recommend the H. Upmann Mag 46. These have been smoking brilliantly ROTT and you will find the size to be the best of both worlds.

Perhaps, as suggested, a sampler is the best next step for you untilyou are ready to commit to a box or two that you love.

Enjoy your smokes.

Cheers

One of my first box purchases was San Cristobals de la Habana La Punta. They're easy to smoke with a woody, almost vanilla flavor to them. Some of them have a little spice, but it's not overpowering. They aren't overly complex, but I like them and will probably get them again at some point once I smoke my way thru a few more of the ones I have.

El Rey Del Mundo "Choix Supreme", RyJ Short Churchill, RASS, maybe a PSD4 should all fill the bill.....
wub.gif

For the price, the H Upmann Magnum 48 EL is very good. Chocolate and sweet tobacco. Not overpowering at all.