• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking to take up Golf

theEpiphany

I've decided that after having a passing interest of casually going to driving ranges as a kid, I've decided to pursue an interest (at 29 no less) to start trying my hand at golf.

The thing is...I don't know anyone that plays golf and neither does my wife, however she'll be coming with me. I'm guessing that I should probably take some lessons to get the swing at least partially thorough. I've been reading and researching things a bit here and there concerning clubs and it seems that I could start off with a 3 wood, a 7 iron and a putter, unless someone can recommend something else.

Any help that anyone feels like giving...I'm all ears..

First off lessons are a must. Look for a local golf pro in your area. Second try looking for used golf clubs on craigslist, that should be the easy part. Good luck and lots of patience.

If you have a PGA Superstore nearby (I think they are a chain) that would be a great inexpensive place for lessons. They also have Men's and womens free clinics on the weekends to teach you the basics.

You need a putter, wedge, 7 iron, and you might as well get a driver and learn to hit it early on.

Craigslist, ebay, and the PGA Superstore or a Edwinn Watts would have a great selection of used clubs at great prices.

Wish you lived closer, I would teach you for free. I am a 6 hanidcap, but had it down as low as 2 in college. I took the PAT (player ability test) and past it so I could go to school to teach, but my mom made me stay and finish college instead of PGA school. moms.....

Take enough lessons to learn how to hold the clubs and how to swing. Everyone on a course is an expert and most of their shots go everywhere but where they want. Thank them kindly for their advice and then remember what the person you paid for advice said.
Other than that just enjoy it and be ready to use lots of balls.

Before you decide to take up this "sport", perhaps you should listen to This

Doc.

1. Practice your cursing

2. Practice drinking cheap beer

3. Practice your cigar smoking

4. Now go play golf...the rest isn't that important.

Most courses will have a driving range and practice facility on them. You can get lessons from the club pro or one of their assistants for a little cheaper(at the course I belonged too the asst. pro was 5 times a better instructor and cost $20 less an hour.) After a couple lessons go out and have some fun. It may not come around right away, but give it time and it will. My first year I put a 7 iron in a pond and broke a second club on a tree....YIKES My second year I started smoking cigars and not taking things so serious on the course ... I had more fun and my game got better. Ohhh and I didnt start till I was 44....old dog new tricks.

Enjoy

Right off the 55 in Santa Ana (you live in Cost Mesa, right?) there is a Roger Dunn Superstore. They have boatloads of used clubs at a good price. Go in there and tell them you are relatively new to the game and need some advice. They usually aren't super-friendly, but should get you on your way.

As to my advice on clubs, get yourself "game improvement irons", and get a set. Each club has it's own loft and length; a lot of this great game is figuring out how you hit each club, and how far. Callaway, Wilson, Taylor-Made, Cobra... All of them have good basic game improvement sets. You are 29, so make sure you get stiff shafts in ALL the clubs you get (steel for irons and graphite for woods). The shaft flexability relates to how fast you swing the club...

Get a driver at 10-11 degrees, and a 3-wood at 15-17 degrees. Swing a few at the store and get a feel of what feels best to you. Test out the putters as well, and get a feel of what you like.

Lessons should be to show you the fundamentals, and ingrain them. Grab the book "5 Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan. 99.9% of all professional swings are based on the teachings in this book. A great book to have.

I know this probably sounds like you have to spend a ton, but not really. A good used set of irons should be $100-300, the woods another couple hundred total for both, and a putter will run you anywhere from $5-300. Really though, golf is an expensive sport, so don't be afraid of investing a bit to start off right. Besides, in Newport, a round at Pelican Hill will run you $250.00!!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. When you get settled-in in the sport, let me know and we'll meet to play and smoke some cigars... :thumbs:

Good luck.

Regards,

BT

Edit to add book info...

My suggestion... Don't worry about lessons, start off just trying to have fun. Once you've been out a few time and laughed at yourself a little (or alot), then start thinking about lessons. I've never had a lesson, and love the game. My only problem is consistency. I'm a 20's handicap (not great), but I have fun out there. It's the one sport that doesn't let me be competitive. In the end, enjoy the pace, enjoy the surroundings, and don't get good clubs to start out!!!!

Ditto on the Roger Dunn Super Store...exit McFadden. I forget the name of it, but there is a great little course off of Bristol South. A great place to learn the game. If the course kicks your a$$, the Siglo Lounge is only 5 minutes away.

Properly fitted clubs are a must. You can buy fitted equipment under $300...more like $200. My recommendation would be an old set of Ping Eye 2's (One of the best set of clubs ever designed). Go to the following website and do a static fitting. http://www.pinggolf.com/fitting/webfit.aspx The results give you a place to start. Will the static results be perfect? No, but it is better than being way off. If your clubs are way off, your lessons and effort are WORTHLESS!! Ill fit golf clubs will promote a poor stance and a compensating swing. Go to ebay or Roger Dunn to find a set. Like I said, don't pay more than $300. If you become addicted, you will piss away thousands of dollars on an annual basis.

Just like cigars, there are golf forums. The best one is www.golfopinions.com

If you have any specific questions, please PM me. If you want to play, I'm only an hour away.

Jason

I will second my opinion and say lessons are a must if you want to have enjoy yourself. I started out two weeks with no lessons but after watching friends shoot in the 80's and I was in the 130's it really got to me. After 5 lessons by the end of summer I was shooting in the low 80's playin around 4 rounds a week.

Lol.. Watchin Caddy Shack as I type this.

Here is how I started when I was 23

Clubs - Used - Try ebay or a golf shop

Lesson - Find a club or a nice range that has a pro. Club pro's can be expensive but Range Pro's and Asst Club Pro's can be a lot cheaper and usually sell lessons in packages.

If you are really starting from 0, maybe go to the range a few times and hit some balls to see if you like it before you shell out some cash.

Just be patient, keep practicing and (try) to stay calm.

Oh and pack a lot of cigars.

First and foremost, you need to learn the "rules" of golf. This is golf etiquette, common courtesy and the general rules of the game. This is a key that many people skip, but the most important part of the game. Once you do this, go out to your local public courses and just enjoy the game.

I wish i would had gotten lessons when i first took up golf. It took me forever to forget everything i thought i was doing correct.

I started playing golf when I was about 27. I took lessons from a pro at the local course just to get the basic ideas down, and also took a set of lessons on short game.

The lessons werent too expensive, and helped me a lot in getting down a swing and learning a few basic things. One thing I was told by people was to not buy clubs until after you start taking lessons. I used loaner clubs from the pro shop to get a feel for what I liked during the lessons, then I went out and found a nice cheap set of starter clubs.

I think its important to get cheap clubs at first also. Undoubtedly after you have been playing for a while, you will either not play as much as you thought you would, or you will really like it and play even more, and eventually you'll want better clubs.