• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looks like I'll be doing my first turkey, any tips?

Turkey
Bag
Salt/Pepper
Couple spoonfuls of flour
Onion
Celery

Agree with Doc, make sure it's completely thawed.  Make sure to remove the neck and giblets (which will be in the cavity of the bird).  Nothing worse then forgetting about the giblets and cooking them inside the bird.  I wash it off, pat it dry and apply a fair amount of salt/pepper to the outside.  Cut up the onion/celery and put on top of the flour, inside the cooking bag.  Place the bird in the bag, breast side up and cook until it hits 165 degrees.

Smoke it or fry it. Both methods are tasty. 

Fried is the only way to go, for me. If you don't have the setup, though, then that option is out. Benefit to me is that it's a whole lot faster and it frees up the oven for whatever the wife is cooking. Oh... and I can smoke a cigar while watching it fry. :)

Only tips you have to remember for frying is to thaw completely and turn off the burner when you drop the bird. Well, and measure how much oil you need the first time, but 3 gallons has never let me down, ever.

Have fun. :)

I have fried a lot of turkeys, chickens and ducks. It is easy and safe if you follow the rules and common sense. I have a concrete slab out back well away from anything that can burn. There is lots of guidance out there explaining what to do as well as more than a few You Tube Videos on what not to do.

I cook up a couple turkeys every year and used to fry a small turkey (maybe 12 to 14 lbs) as an appetizer to keep the kids from picking at the one destined for the table. I don't fry anymore when kids are around because it makes me nervous.

jfields said:
My Grandmother was a firm believer in cooking the bird on a rack breast side down, and covered in foil for at least 2/3 of the cooking time. She felt it always made the breast meat hold the juices. Whether luck, or superstition, they're never dry unless cooked way too long.
Once flipped back over, do your regular basting and browning.
She always kept it simple with the seasonings as well. Just salt and pepper with a few bay leaves on the cavity.
Don't forget to remove the innards from the front and rear of the of the bird. :laugh:
This is how my mom and grandma taught me. I added the injection because I like the way it gets the spices into the meat. Is mine better than the way I was taught? I doubt it, but everyone should add their own creativity. I like Doc's analogy "it's just a big chicken". Have fun with it and let us know how it turns out.

You could try this:

cthturkey.jpg

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2013/12/17/introducing-the-cthulhu-themed-holiday-turkey-the-cthurkey-pic/

Picked up a 12lb Butterball.  I'll be going with a standard oven method.  I do plan on stuffing the turkey with some....well....stuffing.

I'll add a pic before we devour it!

Well I'm happy to report that my turkey dinner went perfectly!

I took Doc's advice and kept it simple this time.  I did stuff the turkey with some cornbread stuffing, and boy am I glad I did, it was delicious.  I also did a green bean casserole, salad, gravy, and asparagus.  The timing of it all was just right, as it was all served hot and fresh.

My wife, who rarely eats meat off of a bone, raved about it.  We had leftover turkey/stuffing sandwiches yesterday that were great too.

Thanks for all the help CP, I had a blast cooking it and it was a success!

Glad it turned out great. I have not had a Butterball before, but you have peaked my interest and I will give it a shot next time.
I agree, turkey and dressing sandwiches are great!!

I brine and fry every year. We do it every Thanksgiving and Christmas, and two at a time. This was our 8th year frying. I use a cup of kosher salt, to every gallon of water to cover the turkey. No sugar, or added spices. The saltiness of the outside crunchy skin is unbelievable! I have to fry two every year now, because nobody touches the ham. I'm a firm believer that once you brine and fry, you will never want it any other way!

Frying a bird is really simple, make sure your oil is 375, get the turkey as dry as possible, and slowly lower it in the oil. I use a meat thermometer to test for doneness. I use the fryer pot to brine the turkey in. I brine for 10 hrs, pat dry. I always mark the outside wall of the fryer depending on the water level so I know how much oil to use. That is the only dangerous part, you don't want to use to much oil and have it boil over. The turkey will drop the temperature of the oil, so you start with it higher, and try to maintain 325.