• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

looks like mold

LOCAL669

i recently had a problem with humi that has been running good for a litle over a year. my rh usually stays between 68 - 74 with out to much work. then i noticed a small patch of blueish green mold spot anout the size of pencil eraser in two spots on the inside lid of the humi. i took it my local shot he scrapped the mold away and clean it with solution for. i also got a new oasis pack to replace my old one (same size). but now my rh is betwee n 75-80 and i starting to get a whitesh spot on some of my older cigars. i noticed some spikes on the the white dots. is this mold what should i do .

:(

Get some beads but if you want to continue to use your Oasis I'd adjust it down. I know some adjust maybe yours is one. If it doesn't adjust I'd write the factory to see if they could help. Good luck.

I would be worried about any rh level over 70, I would salt test my hygrometers and get some 70rh beads, if you want to lower the rh lower than 70 you just us less water, mine is regulated between 64-66 and I haven't had any problems with mold. If its growing on your humi I would really be worried. Good luck.

John

I try to keep my cabinet in the 64-68% range all the time. Only reason it gets that high (68%) is the effect the pelt coolers have when they run hard during the summer to keep the temps down inside the cabinet (68F). 70-74% is too high, IMHO. I know that RH is very much a personal preference decision, but as my head over 70% I think you are in the "increasing risk" category for mold.

Unless your humidor is "huge", I believe you'll find beads work really well, with far less hassle than an active humidification device. I had four coolers before I got my cabinet, and bags of beads kept them all at a rock solid 65%.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

If its just now developing on the cigars (light surface mold), seems like I read somewhere that you just dust it off and smoke them anyways. But separate any with mold from the others so it does not spread.

I try to keep my cabinet in the 64-68% range all the time. Only reason it gets that high (68%) is the effect the pelt coolers have when they run hard during the summer to keep the temps down inside the cabinet (68F). 70-74% is too high, IMHO. I know that RH is very much a personal preference decision, but as my head over 70% I think you are in the "increasing risk" category for mold.

Unless your humidor is "huge", I believe you'll find beads work really well, with far less hassle than an active humidification device. I had four coolers before I got my cabinet, and bags of beads kept them all at a rock solid 65%.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Great advice bro :thumbs:

~Mark

as long as the mold isn't on the foot of the cigar you should be ok. I would highly suggest getting some beads though. Check out www.heartfeltindustries.com

as long as the mold isn't on the foot of the cigar you should be ok. I would highly suggest getting some beads though. Check out www.heartfeltindustries.com

Mold is Mold, regardless on what part of the cigar its on. I'm deathly allergic to mold, so I wouldn't smoke a cigar that had any mold on it at all, no matter what brand or how rare it was.

Because if you see mold on the wrapper... the mycelium is already deep down inside the cigar.

Your suggestion about the beads is excellent however.

Mold is Mold, regardless on what part of the cigar its on. I'm deathly allergic to mold, so I wouldn't smoke a cigar that had any mold on it at all, no matter what brand or how rare it was.

Because if you see mold on the wrapper... the mycelium is already deep down inside the cigar.

I guess I worded that a bit wrong. If you had a bit of surface mold that can be wiped off, it's not as bad as green mold that has taken over the foot of a smoke. But you're also correct, when it comes down to it, mold is mold any way you cut it.

Over 70 is mold territory in my house. 62-67 is where my humi resides. I say smoke em.

I guess I worded that a bit wrong. If you had a bit of surface mold that can be wiped off, it's not as bad as green mold that has taken over the foot of a smoke. But you're also correct, when it comes down to it, mold is mold any way you cut it.

Problem is if its on the outside... its normally on the inside too. So even if you wipe off the fruit bodies on the wrapper... your still smoking mold.

I found this old thread and decided to re-use it instead of start a new one....

I was seasoning a new 20 count humidor and simply forgot about it. I left the small cup of distilled water in the humi for about 3 weeks. I just opened it today and found mold growth on the lid of the humi. I have wiped it off and it is airing out right now. Luckily, there was no immediate need for it. But, I would like to use it without worrying about mold. Is there anything that I can do to ensure that wiping and airing will kill the mold issue? How long should it air out? Should I re-season the humi once the mold issue is resolved?

Thanks in advance.

I found this old thread and decided to re-use it instead of start a new one....

I was seasoning a new 20 count humidor and simply forgot about it. I left the small cup of distilled water in the humi for about 3 weeks. I just opened it today and found mold growth on the lid of the humi. I have wiped it off and it is airing out right now. Luckily, there was no immediate need for it. But, I would like to use it without worrying about mold. Is there anything that I can do to ensure that wiping and airing will kill the mold issue? How long should it air out? Should I re-season the humi once the mold issue is resolved?

Thanks in advance.

Is there a humidification device, credo or the like in it? If there is I would open it and replace the foam in it, as I am sure it has been infected as well. Put a 1/2 tsp of alcohol, either rubbing or Everclear (my favorite) into a qt of distilled water. Wipe the inside of your humidor out with this solution and let it air dry. Repeat a couple more times, and then season it as you would a new humidor, but keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks once it's stabilized, before adding any smokes. This should take care of any mold spores you have left hiding in it. Personally, I put a tsp of Everclear into every gallon of distilled water I use in any of my humidors, desktops or cabinets, as I've found it leaves no residual odor, and is a great deterrent to mold.

Good luck!

Jeez, I bought an " orphan" 50 count humidor a while back, and had a bowl of distilled water in it for at least 6 weeks. I forgot all about it untill I started reading this, and when danny said what had happened to him I remembered. Luckily nothing wrong. And Jack, I will give that tsp of everclear a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Gerard.