• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Loose beads

Mattster said:
I am contemplating getting these to replace my black ice.

question is, can you lay the sticks directly on the bags that contain the beads?

i certainly don't want to damage my sticks, but if i can get some sacks for the bottom of the humidor and lay the sticks on tip or vice versa that would be ideal.
I think I've heard you can lay them next to sticks but, I never take any chances. I lay a piece of waxed paper under the bags.

Mattster, you can place cigars in direct contact with the bag -- if there is no standing water on the bag or the beads beneath the mesh.  For most users, that means you'll need to dry off the surface with a towel, and perhaps wait a bit for the beads to absorb any water on their surfaces.  You might also cover them with a dry piece torn from a towel, or a sheet of Spanish cedar (a layer-divider from a box of cigars), and then put the cigars on top of that.  But the best solution might be to use a wooden humidor divider to keep the bag separate from the cigars themselves.

I recently converted my desktop humidors from those propylene glycol gels that come in glass jars.  Since I had several of the jars, I cleaned a few of them out thoroughly, poured the beads to about one-inch depth (maybe a little less), then replaced the perforated covers on the jars.  The mesh bags or Heartfelt's perforated plastic tubes provide more surface area (good for helping a humidor recover quickly after it's been opened to grab a tasty stick), but I already had the jars and decided to "recycle".  I'm thinking about buying more beads and making a coolerdor; I'll probably get a couple of bags to hold the beads for the cooler, and possibly add more beads to my desktops; extra beads will help the desktop humidors compensate for the extremely dry indoor air during winter, and I still have gel-jars that need to find gainful employment.

Back