• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Losing patience...a bunch of questions.

deyomatic

Hey folks, I'm (obviously) new here, just posted my introduction. Getting right to the point...I've been using a "tupper-dor" for years now with success. I have a digital hygrometer- no idea what the brand name is, it just says "Hygro Thermometer" on it. It eats batteries like a pirahna, so I picked up an analog hygrometer at JR cigars on my way to Florida last February. Like an idiot, I did not realize the analog unit required calibration. I simply taped it to the inside of my tupper-dor and used Oasis and Griffo brand fluid until it read in the 70-ish percent range. Recently, my fiancee purchased me a real humidor- a 540 cubic inch unit which came with its own analog hygrometer. I followed the set up instructions for the hygrometer and the humidifier "patties." Turns out, my tupperdor has been way off for awhile. I reinstalled the digital unit. Now, I've got 2 analog units (both supposedly calibrated) and the digital one. The humidity values have never matched. I even went so far as to calibrate the analog units with the digital unit. The Digital unit reads 75%, one analog reads 68%, and the other 60%.

Anyway, that's just a back drop to my situation. I'm living in New England, whose humidity varies day to day. From the research I've done so far, it sounds like I should be using humidity beads. Anyone from New England have a recommendation on what beads to use? I guess my question is how do they work? If I use 65% beads, is it physically possible for the humidity to exceed that? How much lower than that will it go? I'm also assuming that people will recommend buying a hygrometer that I can trust. Any suggestions as to the brand? Heartfelt had a couple of digital units that can be "zeroed" out at 75% (see link). Is the "round adjustable" one a good one to use? Now, with the salt test...will sea salts work? That's all I have in the house and it would seem that if I was to buy more salt I might as well buy one of those test kits they sell...Anyway, thanks for the space. I look forward to your suggestions...

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=10

Take all these questions up with VIPER139. David's been getting a lot of great publicity lately on here as well as Cigarweekly..and for good reason! I just ordered a 1/2lb of beads and a bag to hold them in from him and his company. He even private messaged me saying he got my order and was going to amke sure it got out today before he left!!!

I use 65%RH beads in all of my humidors and I LOVE THEM. easy to use, VERY reliable. I would let some brothers here recommend a hygrometer though, I use cheap ones from Walmart, I dont worry much though, the beads are fantastic! :thumbs:

First off don't feel alone, all of us at one time or another have had the same frustration as you are feeling right now. The good news is you can get a handle on this without alot of trouble.

If you want to get one of the adjustable hygrometers I sell do yourself a favor and get the package deal with the Boveda calibration kit with it. This makes calibrating the hygrometer about as easy as it gets. I really like the adjsutable hygros, and that is not just because I sell them. They are a good quality unit and once adjusted a pretty accurate. I would recommend checking the calibration at least yearly or every six months is better.

To your question; "If I use 65% beads, is it physically possible for the humidity to exceed that"? Yes it is, it will take a little while to get the overall rh down if you are well above 65%. All of the cigars will have to give off the moisture they have absorbed but over time they will come down. When the beads become saturated, mostly clear, you will need to dry the Heartfelt Humidity Beads out which is no big deal.

If your humidor is 540 cubic inches 1 ounce is enough but I would recommend the 2 ounce tube. With double the amount of Heartfelt Humidity Beads your humidor will dry out quicker and be more stabil in the long run. It will also increase the amount of time you will have before you need to dry them out as well.

Let me know if I can help more.

David

Thanks for the info, guys. Just to clarify, the humidor is still empty. For whatever reason, I am still keeping my cigars in the box they came in on the shelf in my old tupperdor. They seem to smoke fine, and I'm having one or two per day, so I'm not concerned with storing them. I'll hold off on ordering any more smokes and using the new humidor until I have this issue straightened out.

I had planned on getting the kit, with the hygrometer and the calibration kit as well.

Do the beads act as a humidifier or do they absorb excess humidity?

Thanks for the info.

Do the beads act as a humidifier or do they absorb excess humidity?

They do both. The beads will absorb any excess moisture in the humidor and give off moisture if the humidor needs it. This way the humidor will stay very close to the Rh level of the beads you use.

Beads will make all your problems go away.

Keep them hydrated with distilled water (I like the little spray bottle they sell in the travel section of Wallyworld or Target) so that half are clear and half white and you'll be golden.

Oh yeah pitch the analog hygro's and stay with digital. Salt test for accuracy.

I was getting very frustrated too. I was almost fanatical about checking humidity and temp. I had a cigar mentor tell me not too worry to much about it. If they smoke fine and stay close to the recommended 70/70 don't sweat it. Basically he said don't let cigar smoking be all about maintaining a humidor.

I was getting very frustrated too. I was almost fanatical about checking humidity and temp. I had a cigar mentor tell me not too worry to much about it. If they smoke fine and stay close to the recommended 70/70 don't sweat it. Basically he said don't let cigar smoking be all about maintaining a humidor.

Agreed... the "set and forget" humidification device I use takes the hassle out of maintaining a humidor. Set the target humidity level, set the target temperature, and that's it. I just fill up the reservoir with distilled water every now and again, and that's it.

Takes the stress and hassle out of ensuring your cigars are kept well.