• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lot 23 MADURO

sgates

Cigar: Lot 23 Maduro Toro

I really like the natural wrapper lot 23, and in fact, I own about 3 boxes of different sizes I like them so much. I find the natural wrapped cigar medium to full with a lot of creamy notes with a hint of nut that gets stronger as you smoke, eventually culminating in some dark coffee notes without any harshness. I really enjoy them and was looking forward to trying the new maduro when they came out. Going up to another one of my office in Phoenix, I stopped by the local B&M to get some singles and saw two boxes of the maduro lot 23's sitting out ready to be tagged. They were the same price as the natural, so I picked up a 2 pack of Toro's and 3 Churchill sizes. I smoked one of the Toro's straight away to see what they were like (and if I wanted to buy the box immediately).

img167.jpg

The construction of the cigar is spot on as usual, with some firmness in the hand but a perfect draw. The wrapper color was a traditional maduro, not oscuro in color, with some light shading around what veins were appearant on the wrapper. No real hints of spice or idea of what was to come came from the prelight draw (which was perfect), so I lit up with great anticipation.

Upon first light, I received a huge mouthful of acrid smoke on the first puff that made me cough - not a good sign. However, after a couple puffs, it settled down into the familiar lot 23 profile of a medium bodied cigar smacking of nuts and coffee. The first quarter of the cigar held nothing different AT ALL from the natural wrapped lot 23 and wouldn't have known it to be maduro if I didn't have my eyes open.

img168.jpg

The second quarter kept following straight on following the regular lot 23 profile, which while good, isn't what I was hoping at all from this cigar.

img169.jpg

The third quarter of the cigar started to become acrid again and after clearing the cigar and trying to rid itself of the putrid flavor to no avail, I let it go out.

This cigar isn't noticeable different than the regular version, and I am hoping that it's youth and potential overhumidification (even though it burned perfectly with a wonderful draw and ample smoke) made this cigar underwhelm. Hopefully a little age and proper care will help distinguish this cigar from its brother and show its true colors.

Seth :thumbs:

Thanks for the review! I was leery of this cigar because it seemed to be an afterthought for the line. Plus it has such delicate flavors in the Natural it was hard to imagine a Maduro - like it didn't fit the profile.

Steve

Back