• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

/love Sun Grown

Yojimbo

Brutish Nubber
I have learned today that I am quite a fan of Sun Grown smokes. Always been a maduro man, but I may have to grab up a few of these.

Just finished an AF Cuban Belicoso 5.75 x 52, and it was like nothing I've smoked yet. Great smoke! (Thanks Dan!) First few puffs were sharp, but it smoothed right out. Nice even burn, and GREAT aroma.

Even the warm taste it left after I finished it is something to savor.

Try the patel sun grown, by far the best patel cigar out there.

Also, go for an Oliva Serie O.

I have a sun grown thread in the review section, of a bunch that I have smoked. I'll get back to updating it this week probably.

The AF/VSG/DCM sungrowns are among the best out there.

the Patel sungrown is just alright IMO, left me wanting more, similar to vsg that came up short. I thought I found a smokin deal with the CI/Cbid Patel OSG... not even close to the RP sungrown found everywhere.

the Patel sungrown is just alright IMO, left me wanting more, similar to vsg that came up short. I thought I found a smokin deal with the CI/Cbid Patel OSG... not even close to the RP sungrown found everywhere.

The OSG pales in comparison to the actual Patel Sungrown.

Padron 64/26 are sungrowns.

Try the patel sun grown, by far the best patel cigar out there.

I have a sun grown thread in the review section, of a bunch that I have smoked. I'll get back to updating it this week probably.

I concur about the RP Sungrowns. A good cigar for the price. :thumbs:

Yup, I enjoy the heck out of most sun growns. ESPECIALLY the VSG line. :) I keep touting em, but they are my favs of all and have been for a noob while :) Also have almost a full box of Patel Sun Grown in the humi as they are also very tasty IMHO. I have to try some of the fuente Sun growns though, as they seem relatively cheap and everyone seems to enjoy them also!! :)

Don

P.S. As far as the Padrons go, they speak for themselves as well. :) I have to say I love the 64s, and just really enjoy the 26. The 64 to me seemed more like a nice Hot Chocolate on a cold night huddled by a fire. Just my opinion though, as that is what smoking that cigar said to me in the wintertime. :)

Yup, I enjoy the heck out of most sun growns. ESPECIALLY the VSG line. :) I keep touting em, but they are my favs of all and have been for a noob while :) Also have almost a full box of Patel Sun Grown in the humi as they are also very tasty IMHO. I have to try some of the fuente Sun growns though, as they seem relatively cheap and everyone seems to enjoy them also!! :)

Don

P.S. As far as the Padrons go, they speak for themselves as well. :) I have to say I love the 64s, and just really enjoy the 26. The 64 to me seemed more like a nice Hot Chocolate on a cold night huddled by a fire. Just my opinion though, as that is what smoking that cigar said to me in the wintertime. :)

Was that the SG 64 that tasted like chocolate? I always though that flavor profile was more common in maddys.

Firing up an Edicion de Silvio now. Not a sungrown, but I'm well enough for whiskey and smokes, so I'm taking advantage of it, lol.

I have learned today that I am quite a fan of Sun Grown smokes. Always been a maduro man, but I may have to grab up a few of these.

Just finished an AF Cuban Belicoso 5.75 x 52, and it was like nothing I've smoked yet. Great smoke! (Thanks Dan!) First few puffs were sharp, but it smoothed right out. Nice even burn, and GREAT aroma.

Even the warm taste it left after I finished it is something to savor.

Glad you liked it, those are one of my favorites. I believe that had 2 years age on it. Great stick at a pretty decent price point.

And if ya want a little spice, try the RP Sun Grown.

I'm not sure why, but I still cannot find a Sungrown I like. Maybe the day will come..but for now, I guess I prefer maddies.

Actually (per my understanding) ... ALL Padron cigars are grown in the sun. For some reason they don't actively advertise this, but I've been told by a number of sources. Also, as I recall the wrapper on the 1964 is Mexican, something a lot of people like to ignore, since Mexican tobacco has never been held in high esteem. However, as the 1964 will show you, it can be very, very tasty when done right :D

I don't think the O is a sungrown wrapper. The Serie V is a sungrown, and I would recommend trying it.

the Patel sungrown is just alright IMO...

Yep, that's where I'm at. All of it. The thing with sungrowns for me is I have certain vitolas I like. I love the AF Beli, don't really care for the chateau. I love the Serie V lancero, don't much care for the larger rings. Blah, blah. You gotta find the right size. Kinda like women. :)

Since we're on the topic of SG, I'm surprised that so far nobody has brought up the Ashton Heritage (puro sol). This cigar is made with 100% SG tobacco, not just the wrapper, but also the binder and filler. Has a very unique taste, IMHO. I don't smoke a lot of these, but really enjoy them when I do. As far as I'm concerned, the only downside to ANY Ashton is the price tag *LOL* The quality of their cigars never disappoint (from my vantage anyway).

Actually (per my understanding) ... ALL Padron cigars are grown in the sun. For some reason they don't actively advertise this, but I've been told by a number of sources. Also, as I recall the wrapper on the 1964 is Mexican, something a lot of people like to ignore, since Mexican tobacco has never been held in high esteem. However, as the 1964 will show you, it can be very, very tasty when done right :D

Umm, I don't think there is any Mexican tobacco in Padron cigars. From what I understand they are Nicaraguan puros. Somebody chime in if I am wrong.

Umm, I don't think there is any Mexican tobacco in Padron cigars. From what I understand they are Nicaraguan puros. Somebody chime in if I am wrong.

Wanna bet a '64 on that? ;)

Let me do some searching, I'm 99% on this, because I remember everybody being in denial about it when the information came out. Stores claim the '64 to be a puro, but I don't find anything by Padron claiming this. I'll post back with some references as I find them.

Wanna bet a '64 on that? ;)

Let me do some searching, I'm 99% on this, because I remember everybody being in denial about it when the information came out. Stores claim the '64 to be a puro, but I don't find anything by Padron claiming this. I'll post back with some references as I find them.

See the CA interview with the Padrons from 2006. They have experimented with 2% mexican tobacco in their blends in the past, but now they are 100% Nic.

Excerpt:
Q: Why don't you ever use tobacco from other countries?
A: I have tried tobacco from Mexico, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and from many countries. We have tried them out. I tried various seeds too.

Q: But haven't Padrón cigars been considered Nicaraguan for a while now?
A: Yes nowadays it is. We have used 2 percent Mexican tobacco but we haven't liked the results.

link to article