• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Low Country Boil...

SweetMelissa

Sweet Innocent Angel
So in honor of Alabama kicking some LSU arse in less than 2 weeks I am going to do a Low Country Boil...anyone ever attempted and pulled off a good one? If so...share your sweet seafood story please!!

Melly

My grandma grew up in Savannah Georgia and we always had low country boil when we would go to visit her family down there. We make it every so often as well during the summer...especially when feeding a good amount of hungry people.

Anyways, I don't know the specifics of the recipe, but I do know my mom and grandma put in whole unshelled shrimp, kielbasa, quartered (depending on size) potatoes, corn cobs cut in half, and seasoned with salt and some Old Bay. All cooked in a turkey fryer in some boiling water. Like I said, it might not be too specific, but I don't recall there being too much more to it. Oh, and don't forget to dump the pot on the table to eat. That's the way we always did it when we visited our family in Savannah. Eatin' right off the table, ain't no other way to eat low country boil!

Good luck and enjoy yourself some good eatin'!

There's a great place across the bay from me called the Boiling Pot that does a "name your own additions" Low Country Boil . . . we use Zatarain's when we do one at home, because we used to live in Louisiana.

Shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes. Add to the boil in reverse order (potatoes first, shrimp last) Live crabs & crawdads are great if you can get them where you are, lobster tails, stone claws, cherry clams . . . it's all good.

I like to use the little tiny white spring potatoes in mine, and easy-peel shrimp.

~Boar

Zatarain, is that in place of the Old Bay I take it?

Yep, Zatarain's Crab Boil. We like things spicy!

http://www.zatarains.com/Products/Seafood-Boils/Crawfish-Shrimp-and-Crab-Boil-Bag.aspx

In fact, we usually punch holes in the boiling bags to get it hotter. ;)

~Boar

Thanks guys...I am fairly sure of what I am gonna put in it...of course the corn, potatoes, sausage...then shrimp, crawfish and crab legs...maybe some mussels if i can get my paws on them :)

Bowens Island Frogmore Stew

Ingredients:
6 to 8 cups of water
3 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
Dash of hot sauce
1-1/2 lbs. of red potatoes
2 lbs. of Polska Kielbasa, cut into 1 to 2 inch lengths
6 ears of corn, shucked and broken in half
2 lbs. shell on fresh shrimp

The process:
Place the cold water, Old bay, and hot sauce in large pot. (The amount of water depends on the size of the pot; you should have enough space inside to let the ingredients breathe and move, and enough water to just barely cover them.) Bring the water to a boil over high heat; then add the potatoes and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are soft when pierced with a fork. Reduce heat to medium-high, then add the kielbasa and corn and cook for another 5 minutes, Increase the heat to high. Once the pot is at a boil add the shrimp and then remove from heat. Stir gently to mix, and keep watching until the shrimp start to turn pink. Drain in a large colander or wooden bowl to serve. At our house we just layer the table with several layers of newspaper and dish everything out on the table. Very fun time and awesome meal. I pulled this recipe from a men's journal several months ago and it is great. Its a recipe from Bowens Island Restaurant in South Carolina. Hope you enjoy.

When crawfish season kicks off here in a few weeks I will have to post some pics from my brother-n-law's resteraunt. It is the Crawfish Hole #2 in Minden, LA. Huge pots cooking 70 lbs at a time. Small pots with corn, potatoes, shrimp, and crab legs. We quit using the Zatarain's in the water and started sprinkling a seasoning on the crawfish after they were boiled and dumped into the tub.