• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

low humidity in large humi

hooiserguy

fellow newbie
Reaction score
I have a 350 count humi that I thought was a good buy not sure of the brand name but it is a (supreme Limited Edition 2000) I've had the thing for 2 weeks and trying to bring the rh up but can not get over 58%. Never had any cigars in the thing yet but my question is: Will the rh rise if humi is stocked ? It has been empty the entire time during the process.My point being if the humi is empty will the rh ever rise and hold?
If anyone has anythoughts please let me know, ???

the RH should go up when you add cigars. assuming your hygro is calibrated properly, 58% won't harm cigars IMO, as its the empty space causing the problem.
maybe try adding a couple of small sealed tupperware containers to displace the volume until you get it filled.

Ed

2 issues:

1) make sure your hygrometer is correct. Many suggest you get a digital hygrometer...or do a salt test on your current one

2) I noticed in my large humidor, I kept having to add water to my humidity beads for several weeks. Once I filled half (less than half) of the humidor, the humidity stabilized.

Also, it seems you need to allow the cigars some time to absorb enough humidity to reach an equilibrium. The cigars, the remaining space in the humidor (air), and the moisture source all need to reach equilibrium...it just takes time.

Sunward said:
the RH should go up when you add cigars. assuming your hygro is calibrated properly, 58% won't harm cigars IMO, as its the empty space causing the problem.
maybe try adding a couple of small sealed tupperware containers to displace the volume until you get it filled.

Ed
[snapback]262418[/snapback]​
I had a feeling the empty space was the problem,I will start adding sticks and see what happens. thanks for the advice

Iam using a digital hygro so I think I very close on the rh% I also use a sling psyhrometer to check calibration on the digital.

Bubble wrap makes a pretty good "inert" space filler - I used in in my cooler before it got full....

Regards - B.B.S.

I find that the cedar blocks that are in most cigar boxes make excellent filler for dead space. If you don't have any, your B&M will generally give you some.

Jim

got cedar block from my B&M last night and add them and about fifty of every day smokes this morning let ya know how it goes later....thank for the help :thumbs:

hooiserguy said:
I also use a sling psyhrometer to check calibration on the digital.
[snapback]262423[/snapback]​

Dang,

I haven't seen one of these in years! It must be the old chemistry fart in me that waxes nostalgic over something like that. :rolleyes:

Wilkey

just happen to end up with one from an old job I had years ago.I cant recall how this thing got into my truck when I quit HMMMM? :whistling: