• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

M-I-Z......S-E-C!

mu mike

It's not a lie if you believe it.
Yesterday the SEC welcomed my alma mater, the University of Missouri, as its 14th team at a press conference on campus. So thrilled and excited to be joining the SEC (and leaving the dysfunctional Big 12 behind us). It's a tough road to hoe athletically, but well worth it for the university as a whole.

I can't wait to start planning some away game road trips for football!

M-I-Z......Z-O-U!

I'm happy for Mizzou and wish them well. But this whole "changing conferences thing" is getting ridiculous. It's sad to see some of the traditional rivalries that I grew up watching come to an end. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Aggies and Mizzou, the new flavors of Tiger Bait. Some of the realignments are ridiculous, Boise State in the Big East. I think we should have gotten a team further east for the SEC, but Mizzou isn't a bad choice.

While I hate to leave behind the tradition and rivalries from the old Big 8/12, I'm happy to be rid of the uncertainty of the conference. I hope Texas is happy that they have now ran off Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, and Mizzou.

I know that football just got a whole lot tougher for us, but hey......outside of Kentucky, I like our chances of competing with anyone in that conference in basketball. And, it's just a matter of time until Calipari gets busted for cheating at Kentucky just like he has at every other stop.

I know Mizzou has at least two of the Walton heirs living there and contributing to the U. Are they putting money into facilities like Oregon and some of the others? If they are and they get some exposure to recruits in Florida, Alabama and some of the other football factories in SEC territory, it could bode well for their program.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' timestamp='1320673279' post='1062008']
Aggies and Mizzou, the new flavors of Tiger Bait.
[/quote]

Boy, isn't that the truth. I just looked up the SEC to refresh my memory and every division is just stacked. Idk if mizz can make .500 in conference right away.

Boy, isn't that the truth. I just looked up the SEC to refresh my memory and every division is just stacked. Idk if mizz can make .500 in conference right away.

I don't disagree that it's going to be tougher, but the move was not based solely on football reasons. Luckily, there were people looking out for the best interests of the University as a whole and that meant joining the SEC. Stability and $$$. The rest is secondary.

I don't disagree that it's going to be tougher, but the move was not based solely on football reasons. Luckily, there were people looking out for the best interests of the University as a whole and that meant joining the SEC. Stability and $$$. The rest is secondary.

Agreed. Big 12 is a nightmare in the making. I doubt it'll be around in 5 years.

I know that football just got a whole lot tougher for us, but hey......outside of Kentucky, I like our chances of competing with anyone in that conference in basketball. And, it's just a matter of time until Calipari gets busted for cheating at Kentucky just like he has at every other stop.

Kiss my ass, Brent!!! ;) Kentucky has more tradition in basketball than any other program in the nation. Seven National Championships, Thirteen Final Four appearances, more wins than any other school, the best winning percentage of any college basketball program and the nation's largest college basketball media network. WE (I can say that as a graduate) are very good in basketball...and, by the way, the rest of the SEC is very good in basketball too. I personally welcome Missouri with open arms. I think that if there has to be an addition to the conference, Missouri is a good choice. Missouri fans can take comfort in the fact that the SEC may be the the strongest conference in the nation.

Texas really does have to take a look at the damage that their selfishness caused. Watching the Big 12 rivalry games has always been fun for me even though I am an SEC graduate and fan. The fall out from the Longhorn Network controversy is sad. The writing was on the wall for other Big 12 schools when Nebraska headed to the Big Ten.

There is going to be a re-alignment of divisions in the SEC to accommodate the new western schools. From what I have seen, either Missouri or Auburn will join the SEC East. That's far from certain right now but lots of analysis on preserving century old rivalries in football is going on right now. Fun stuff.

Missouri will be in the East, per Mike Slive at the presser yesterday on Mizzou's campus.

Missouri will be in the East, per Mike Slive at the presser yesterday on Mizzou's campus.

That sounds good to me. I'd hate to lose an annual game All Burnt and Bama. At least the SEC tried to keep its old traditions like Bama-UT, Aub- Georgia, as well as some new games that have been good int he past few years, Bama-LSU, LSU- Florida.

I think it will be a great move for Missouri. I think the SEC tag will make recruiting a bit easier.

Ken

That sounds good to me. I'd hate to lose an annual game All Burnt and Bama. At least the SEC tried to keep its old traditions like Bama-UT, Aub- Georgia, as well as some new games that have been good int he past few years, Bama-LSU, LSU- Florida.

This what makes the SEC what it is. I cant imagine not playing LSU, Auburn and UT every year. I still think all this expansion hurts the SEC more than it helps.

I still think all this expansion hurts the SEC more than it helps.

I disagree, and obviously the SEC presidents do as well. Conference expansion was inevitable, and the SEC got two schools who will greatly increase their bargaining power as it currently negotiates a SEC network (because of TV markets). There aren't many other available schools the SEC could have chosen that would have increased their television market as much as Mizzou and A&M.

So, if I'm a fan of another SEC school, I would be very happy with the addition of these two schools. Neither will be powerhouses but yet the inclusion of each allows for a larger $$$ share for each school if the SEC network is as lucrative as all expect it to be. Win-win

By the way, if you're not reading MrSEC.com, you're missing out on some great SEC football coverage (and outkickthecoverage.com has great stuff as well, but covers the entire college football landscape).

I don't know about Mizzou, but in the addition of A&M the fan base is as fanatical as those for LSU, Bama and other SEC schools. It is fanatical tot he point of the entire fight song being against Texas, not sure what they are going to do about it now. I believe they also travel well, which means sold out stadiums and more money for the conference. We wouldn't have added Rice despite the Houston TV market, because they don't travel as well. Again this is all about what I've seen from Aggies growing up near College Station.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' timestamp='1320774030' post='1062266']
I don't know about Mizzou, but in the addition of A&M the fan base is as fanatical as those for LSU, Bama and other SEC schools. It is fanatical tot he point of the entire fight song being against Texas, not sure what they are going to do about it now. I believe they also travel well, which means sold out stadiums and more money for the conference. We wouldn't have added Rice despite the Houston TV market, because they don't travel as well. Again this is all about what I've seen from Aggies growing up near College Station.
[/quote]

Major little brother syndrome, milkman cheerleaders and and bunch of other wierd stuff going on. ugh

I still think all this expansion hurts the SEC more than it helps.

I disagree, and obviously the SEC presidents do as well. Conference expansion was inevitable, and the SEC got two schools who will greatly increase their bargaining power as it currently negotiates a SEC network (because of TV markets). There aren't many other available schools the SEC could have chosen that would have increased their television market as much as Mizzou and A&M.

So, if I'm a fan of another SEC school, I would be very happy with the addition of these two schools. Neither will be powerhouses but yet the inclusion of each allows for a larger $$$ share for each school if the SEC network is as lucrative as all expect it to be. Win-win

By the way, if you're not reading MrSEC.com, you're missing out on some great SEC football coverage (and outkickthecoverage.com has great stuff as well, but covers the entire college football landscape).
hurt was not really the word I was looking for. I guess I just dont really care for expansion with teams that are not geographically in the southeast. Mizzou going to the east? blah. I just have this "SEC is selling out" feeling. Guess I'm going to have to learn to live with it!

I go to to both of those websites. Also rollbamaroll (meltdown time is aweosme) and tigerdroppings.com has an aesome SEC board.

I guess I just dont really care for expansion with teams that are not geographically in the southeast.

How did you feel when Arkansas was added in 1992? They're not in the southeast, either.

Um, okay. So where do you draw the line to the southeast? The Arkansas border?