• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mac Clones? Finally an alternative to the pricey Apple Computer

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Came across an article on ZDNet the other day about emerging Mac Clones - PC's that cost around $399 and will run OS X natively. You get a clone PC that is more powerful than a $1,500 Apple. I hope this trend continues, and Apple finally decides to license their OS to Dell, and other mfgr's at least. OS X is a great operating system, it's just a shame Apple makes you purchase their hardware to run it.

Things might just get interesting now. Check out their site: http://www.psystar.com/shop/openmac.html

I wonder if this means that the price of Mac/Apple will go down? I am about to invest in a 24" iMac in next month and get rid of my 4 year Dell Dimension 2400. I love my Dell, but it has become way to slow, even with a 1gb of RAM. THe only things that are keeping me from comitting 100% ti the Mac is the cost, and the fact that most of the games I play are not compatible. But, the software that comes with Leapard and some of the other productivity apps really seam far better than any Windows apps.

Also, I hear that there is a way to make the Mac run in a windows enviroment so I may be able to use my "PC" software.

Tim

Whooo boy, a Mac hardware / OS discussion brings out the religious fervor in many folks....worse than politics, sometimes.... :laugh:

IMHO, the strength of the MAC platform has always been its more or less closed architecture, in terms of hardware and software environment. A "clone" platform will NOT have the same BIOS nor the exact same hardware that a "real" McIntosh platform will have and as such, may not (probably won't) have the reliability that many feel they achieve in the Mac environment.

Also, I'm not clear on the legality of installing OSx on non-Apple hardware. I don't know if it's legal or not. This may bother some and not others, but if the OS goes through any type of validation with the hardware (via a BIOS check or other embedded codes) it may fail, and make OS installation and security upgrades problematic, at best.

FWIW, I'm a Windows user and have never had the issues with Windows that so many folks seem to have had. I wonder that if you take away the firmly controlled and completely known and tested software and hardware environment that the Apple folks are used to, you'll be in much the same boat as any other PC clone.....it may work great, it may not.

Moki knows these platforms perhaps as well as anyone in these forums. If I'm out in left field, I'm sure he'll let me know..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

I wonder if this means that the price of Mac/Apple will go down? I am about to invest in a 24" iMac in next month and get rid of my 4 year Dell Dimension 2400. I love my Dell, but it has become way to slow, even with a 1gb of RAM. THe only things that are keeping me from comitting 100% ti the Mac is the cost, and the fact that most of the games I play are not compatible. But, the software that comes with Leapard and some of the other productivity apps really seam far better than any Windows apps.

Also, I hear that there is a way to make the Mac run in a windows enviroment so I may be able to use my "PC" software.

Tim
"WinRot" is a well known and easy to fix issue. It's also easy to prevent if one knows and understands what goes on with the OS. Consider adding a Gb of ram, reformatting your hard drive and re-installing your OS. You may re-think the upgrade altogether.

If you're sold on a Mac, I won't try to talk you out of it. Just keep in mind that you're comparing 4-year old hardware and OS with new stuff. A new Windows platform would be pretty snappy, as well.

Food for thought - B.B.S.

Just keep in mind that you're comparing 4-year old hardware and OS with new stuff. A new Windows platform would be pretty snappy, as well

You are 100% correct in a new Windows machine would out perform my current one. At 1gb of ram I am maxed out on this motherboard, and a new motherboard is not an option, would have to start from scratch with most of my componets, and for the price that I could find, it is a better option to get a new system.

I am not "Sold" on anything yet, but the Wife really likes the "look" of the iMac, and I am afraid that she wins most of the "what are we gonna spend 2 grand on" battles. Either way I will get a new, better, "prettier" rig and will be happy either way.

Tim

IMHO, I will stay with windows machines just due to price difference. Unless I need something specific, I feel like the cost/performance ratio is better on the windows machine. A very subjective subject, but oh well. :) Also, with the very small amount of spyware/virus with the Apple, it is slowly gaining for me in my mind, as I am tired of running virus check after spyware check after virus check. If Apple lowered their prices, or subbed out a bit to big name companies, I feel like OS X would run away with it.

Don

Edit: for spelling

I for one love my iMac's, and so does the wife. We've been Mac users for years without any problems (nothing big enough to bother with).
I'm running the iMac5,1 with 2.16 GHz of processor speed and 2 GB of memory...damned thing works like a charm for me.

I recently switched over to a Mac around January or so and have had no problems at all. That being said, I never really had too many problems with my Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop that I replaced. I did lose all of my data once in a crash where I had to call Dell and reinstall the OS. The 24" iMac is stunning to look at and work on. Can go up to 4GB of RAM and is virtually silent. Some say that the video cards on the Mac are weak and way behind the other Windows computers out there. That Doesn't really matter to me that much. I probably have never pushed a graphics card to the max anyway. Ever since Apple moved to Intel processors, you have been able to install and run Windows on them. Some programs make you reboot into Windows while others allow you to run open windows with XP and OS X simultaneously. I have never used this function so I cannot comment. This is something to consider if you stick with Windows strictly for gaming. Although the thought of another computer running OS X is nice, I still like how Apple makes the hardware and the operating system, allowing them to integrate them in a more seamless way without some of the potential problems. Apple doesn't require any authentication/registration with their OS and they rely on the end user just "doing the right thing" when it comes to reinstalling the OS on other computers. So even though they might not be checking, I am pretty sure it would violate the EULA in the end.

Rod, just a heads up, Gizmodo/ZDNet still have no real verification of anything shipping from Psystar. Legally clones cannot be sold. But, you can take any PC at this point in time with the right video card/soundcard/motherboard combo and install os x on it. Plenty of instances of OS X Leopard being installed on Dells, HPs, Toshiba laptops, etc....

I don't know the links, but a google would hook you up.

I am about to invest in a 24" iMac in next month and get rid of my 4 year Dell Dimension 2400.
There is no comparable 24" integrated, quiet, pretty, attracts friends, windows system :D

For many years I wanted to switch to Mac. Finally, after several nervous intents, 16 months ago I purchased a 17" MacBook Pro

I'm not sure what you guys use you computers for but I/we are totally reliant, have been since we first went onto the web with our formulas in 1997. Windows platform sucks. This has been proven to me time and again when my computers bomb out unexpectedly. Besides the systems I have given away, our last windows computer, used only for one or two specifics, such as Quickbooks, would not boot up, just one week ago. We went into our storeroom to see if we could find a power pack. I was shocked to see 5 towers and 3 monitors in the storeroom, all problem systems. Needless to say, we couldn't get the hard drive to work so my son purchased a cradle that converts to USB and we got the files off the drive.

Slowly I started switching my family onto a Mac. Each birthday, we purchased our sons a MacBook Pro. My daughter has the 13" and finally, after a very nervous transition, my wife, as of 10 days ago, has the new Mac Air and she loves this little light weight (3 pounds) laptop, she works on it all over the house.

Two of my sons are MCSE qualified, they did the course several years ago. They understand windows systems better than most and they all said to me, after about 10 days on a Mac (the exact same thing I said), why did I wait so long?

Mac's are quiet, pretty, fast, don't require severe virus protection. Don't scatter files in a million places, fragmenting hard drives, which causes windows to slowly slow down over time until one day, poooooof!

Windows sucks! I don't want to debate you Tom. I am simply talking from personal experience. Yes, Mac's are a little pricey but in my case, I think we will save money in the long run.

Brian

Glad to see this topic come up actually. After the flood, I lost my Sony VAIO to water damage. I've received my flood claim and am now in the market for a new laptop.

I really want to try Mac, but I'm just nervous about it. I feel like nothing will be compatible with it. I don't know, I guess I'm just not educated on Macs enough.

Glad to see this topic come up actually. After the flood, I lost my Sony VAIO to water damage. I've received my flood claim and am now in the market for a new laptop.

I really want to try Mac, but I'm just nervous about it. I feel like nothing will be compatible with it. I don't know, I guess I'm just not educated on Macs enough.
Yep, I know the feeling Wyatt.

I had decided that I was going to install windows on my MacBook pro, via software called Parallels (there are other ways to do it) until the sales person asked me why I need windows.
If you are running something that is ONLY windows based software, then install windows. For example, if you use UPS shipping software, it's only windows based, well, was 18 months ago.

I did not install windows. Spent the first half day with my new Mac coursing and by the next day I was saying, what the hell took me so long.

Brian

What kind of things do you use your computer for? Are any specific programs a necessity for you?

Yes, Mac's are a little pricey but in my case, I think we will save money in the long run.

That's the key. Long-term time and money savings.

All of my businesses are Microsoft-free zones because of the added costs of running Windows-based machines. And some of my businesses are quite computer centric: A regional ISP, a software development firm, and an ICANN-accredited domain registrar. Every desktop and laptop is a Macintosh. And I can say quite confidently that my employees are very happy with them, and many have Windows-based computers at home. Some have even switched their home machines because of their work-related Macintosh experiences. :whistling:

Basically my laptop computer usage consists of:

- Wireless Internet usage (cigar pass, hehe) this is the main use for my laptop. I have Dell XPS desktop I use for most applications (word, excel, power point)

- Photo editing/albuming and what not

- Music storage/burning (I have an ipod currently)

To be honest that's about it for my laptop, it's just for me to use on those items. I do my work on my desktop. Of course my laptop is also my travel computer that is used at hotels for internet and what not.

Basically my laptop computer usage consists of:

- Wireless Internet usage (cigar pass, hehe) this is the main use for my laptop. I have Dell XPS desktop I use for most applications (word, excel, power point)

- Photo editing/albuming and what not

- Music storage/burning (I have an ipod currently)

To be honest that's about it for my laptop, it's just for me to use on those items. I do my work on my desktop. Of course my laptop is also my travel computer that is used at hotels for internet and what not.

Then there should be no problem what so ever. No sure if you may need to reconfigure the wireless router though. Microsoft makes Office for Mac so if you want to use those programs and have to ability to open them on a Mac or a PC you are good. If you are using an iPod, well that and iTunes are from Apple so there should be no problems there. For photos and whatnot, the computer comes with some software and the popular programs like Photoshop/ Photoshop Elements can be used on a Mac. Hope this helps.

Then there should be no problem what so ever. No sure if you may need to reconfigure the wireless router though. Microsoft makes Office for Mac so if you want to use those programs and have to ability to open them on a Mac or a PC you are good. If you are using an iPod, well that and iTunes are from Apple so there should be no problems there. For photos and whatnot, the computer comes with some software and the popular programs like Photoshop/ Photoshop Elements can be used on a Mac. Hope this helps.

It does help. I think the MacBook Pro is a bit outta my price range for what I use my laptop for, but the MacBook looks fine as well. I've been reading on it.

I did not know that Microsoft makes Office for Mac. That's good, gives me flexibility if I want to use my laptop for work projects as well.

I think I'm leaning Mac :)

Anyone who recommends Linux based on what Brickhouse stated he needed a laptop for is simply clueless.

Yeah, everyone knows you can't run the Internets on Linux!!! :sign:

Although, seriously, wireless would be his only troublepoint. Firefox for browsing, Gimp for photo editing, SyncPOD or something similar for the iPod, etc.. Just depends how much you want everything to "just work". Wireless isn't impossible, either. :)

---John Holmes...