• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MAC GURUS

Cheekie

Yeah fuggers, I am still around!
HELP!! I am Stumped!

My little g4 12" ibook is doing some stupid crap! I get the grey screen with apples logo during boot up. From there it TAKES FOREVER TO BOOT IF IT BOOTS AT ALL....uggh ! I am on my 8th install of the original media discs that came with the laptop, some times it errors out during install and sometimes it loads but when it boots up it still remains on the very very slow boot.

So far I have zapped the PRAM, combed the apple boards, ran the repair permissions from disk utility, combed the apple boards, did the hardware check, combed the apple boards, and asked a question got a few answers none of which helped....
I am STUMPED- HELP!!!

Sounds like the hard drive is going south to me.

Indeed what he said ^ You may want to invest in a external hard drive or a new hard drive an use a program called aloha bob to transfer all back up info

....figures. You need a nice, reliable, WinTel machine like the rest of the civilized world uses...... :sign:

BS aside, it does sound like a hard drive problem. With Intel machines, you can download tools to make bootable disks from the hard drive manufacturer's that will shake down the hardware. I have to plead stupid about this when it comes to Apple platforms.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Yeah, sounds like a harddrive problem or even a logicboard problem. My powerbook did the same thing a year ago. Had to replace the logicboard and harddrive. Hopefully a new harddrive will fix this problem as it is the cheaper of the two. Goodluck.

....figures. You need a nice, reliable, WinTel machine like the rest of the civilized world uses...... :sign:
Good luck - B.B.S.
* officially FLIPS YA THE BIRD*

Ahem*
Now as I was origninally going to say- Yeah I was afraid of that, I did my research on HD's and found one on Fleabay for just under 100.00, so, I am gonna try to boot this bad boy up one last time. I am currently rewritting permissions and correcting some prefs issues. In all- it should boot from there, if not then time to gut this puppy- I have always wanted to gut/mod it but, the fact that it still had warranty until about 6 mo ago made me stop. Any one know of some case mods and cool stuff to do once this bad boy is opened up?
Does her best impression of the great Washu!

* officially FLIPS YA THE BIRD*

Ahem*
...fair enough; I had that one coming.... :laugh:

......I did my research on HD's and found one on Fleabay for just under 100.00, so, I am gonna try to boot this bad boy up one last time.....
No, no, no....no FleBay hard drives...!! You can get great, spankin' new hard drives for a lot less from NewEgg and they'll stand behind their drives if something goes awry. I'm very sure the interface for the drive is standard so there's no reason not to look here:

Laptop Drives at NewEgg

I'd sure pursue some diagnostics before you shell out the hard earned cash for a drive you may not need.....sorry I can't help more with the Mac.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Edit - fixed link to show laptop drives. I just did a drive replacement in my stepdaughter's Dell. Put one of these in the machine. 80 Gb....$63.00.....not bad.... :cool:

Yeah, sounds like a harddrive problem or even a logicboard problem. My powerbook did the same thing a year ago. Had to replace the logicboard and harddrive. Hopefully a new harddrive will fix this problem as it is the cheaper of the two. Goodluck.

Dang I never thought about the logic board ....Damn good point- I am off to see what that bad boy is gonna run me, damn it, I may just have to scrap this book and buy a new one * :whistling: * Bwahahah!

I had a mac for a few weeks, but sold it. Nice machine, but just wasn't practical for my needs. I recommend backing up your files asap. Not sure if you can make a mac drive a slave like you can on a PC, but if you can, that's the route to go. Much easier to backup that way. Good luck with it!

Good luck with it Cheeks...hope it works out.

Hey Rod - What happened with the Mac? I'd be interested to hear what worked for you and what didn't....

Mac update: I got it to work and was running disk utility... After Running Fsck command for what seemed like an entire day, I came up and was working fine! E- suggested that I run a permissions verification, so I did, got up and went to shower. Apparently while the book was doing it's thing he hit something and Kablewie! Done- I have attempted to do several repairs- after he did an improper restart during the utility check......... I am now certain I will need a new harddrive... :( the saga continues!

Right, it doesn't matter what OS you're running, if the hard drive is failing, things are just not going to work.

If you have an iPod or other external firewire drive, you can install MacOS X on it, and boot from the external drive. If that works without problems, you're fairly sure the issue if a dead hard drive. It happens.

I had a mac for a few weeks, but sold it. Nice machine, but just wasn't practical for my needs. **snip**

Rob.... what happened ??
x2???

I love my MacBook Pro - taken me a few weeks to acclimate and I'm still not there but this baby can do things like my wife did 20 years ago.
Err - just kidding, my wife is better than she was 20 years ago but you get the picture.

Brian

bought my new HD today takin er' from the stock 30g to 100g and 7200 speed...
Ironically, I buy the drive and the biatch boots and is operating. Oh how I feel mocked!