• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

machine mades, good value or why bother?

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
During our recent Urban Bourban Tour, we had dinner Borbon's Bistro on the patio. Most of the men folk were puffing away and two or three were smoking machine made cubans and although I didn't get any details, they seemed to really enjoy the machine mades and indicated the prices were quite reasonable.

Have you smoked any machine made cubans?

Were they a good value or would you recommend stepping up and buying hand rolled?

If you recommend machine mades, what brand would you recommend and how much would you expect to pay?

I know that's a lot of questions but inquiring minds need to know, LOL. I think that was the ad line for the National Enquierer.

The machine made cigars are great for a profile of the brand (i.e. Partagas Perfectos has a the perfect Partagas taste, but not complex). It beats burning a HM when all you want is a Partagas and it's a great way to smoke good cigars cheap.

I swear by the Los Statos Delirios. I can get them for under $2 a stick and they are perfect for yardwork, running errands or whatever. Smoke it all, toss it, leave it in the ashtray at the store when I go in...it doesn't matter - it's a $2 stick.

Were they a good value or would you recommend stepping up and buying hand rolled?

Yes to both, actually, IMO.

They are a good value, but most of the time, with the number that I smoke, I prefer to buy handmade long filler cigars.

Once in awhile, a Quintero Breva or Partagas Chico hits the spot though...

Jose La Piedra's received a few strong reviews here. The caveat is that many of the short-filler varieties need to be aged a while to temper their harshness. Of course, this is true of a few long-filler or premium havanas, too.

Steamboat I have some Quinteros londres extra I can send you to try ,you can see if you like them. I think they are hand finished , they don't have alot of time on them but they are a tasty inexpensive smoke. Jose Piedra cremas are another cigar I like to keep in the humi for times when I go fishing. PM me your addy .

Por Larranaga has a few machine made cigars that are really interesting and a great go-to smoke.

Don't discount the machine made, as often the tobacco tastes just as good as the hand rolled stuff.

Echoing much of what has been said here, I agree that low-end/machine-made CC's are certainly worthwhile. Months ago I purchased 1 box each of:
Quintero Panatelas
Por Laranaga Panatelas
Jose Piedra Petit Cetros
Flor de Cano Selectos
Fonseca Cosacos

I handed 1 of each out to my regular herfers and our consensus was PL and Piedras all around highest marks, Quintero next for honest, unapologetic tobacco taste and strength, and Flor de Cano and Fonseca last.

Currently I have 2 boxes of Quinteros and a partial of the PLs. For the price (cheaper than anything NC worth a damn) they can't be beat, IMO.

I have to say a Quintero Brevas with a little time on it is not a bad stick. Not fantastic, but not bad.

Heheheh, I just realized that my previous post on this topic was my 666th.

Muahahahahahaha

i read the thread title(then clicked)...already preparing a repy...the answers are/were not what i expected.

first let me state...money is not the issue(if the only good cigars out there were 100$ each i could/can still afford them). for me the size is what means the most...the closer the cigar is to a petit corona the better the chance i will enjoy it.

i smoke all cigars...hand rolled , mm , machine bunched hand finished.

enjoy them all...but i will say this...all cigars have the right time and place.

herfing with others...i will smoke my best(this week i may feel a machine made smoke is my best...next week it may be a monty from the 80's).

drinking...i will smoke mm's.

in cuba...i will smoke fresh(young)cigars.

hockey on tv...i will almost always reach for a mareva sized smoke(between the 1st and 2nd period is the time to light up)...there are machine made 5 1/8 by 42rg cigars .

etc etc .

there is a myth...started by i dont know who and perpetuated by a lot of people...that machine made cigars dont age or only age to a certain point...i believe this is untrue. i have some most excellent machine made smokes from the 80's and 90's that have aged quite nicely...also i have cohiba clubs from '03 that i feel are quite a bit better than the fresh 20packs i buy in cuba every november.

i guess the point i am trying to make is...
a waste of time???only if you think so.

derrek :whistling:

I'm surprised that I haven't seen Rafael Gonzalez Panatelas Extra being recommended. It isn't the best mm, but it is very consistent, and very cheap (I get them for about $1.90 each). They do remind me of RG PC's :love:

I do prefer Piedra's and PL's though.

And to answer your question, yes, they are definitely good enough to seek them out and try them. You might as well try them, right? Worst case scenario, you find out you don't like a $2.00 smoke!

i read the thread title(then clicked)...already preparing a repy...the answers are/were not what i expected.

first let me state...money is not the issue(if the only good cigars out there were 100$ each i could/can still afford them). for me the size is what means the most...the closer the cigar is to a petit corona the better the chance i will enjoy it.

i smoke all cigars...hand rolled , mm , machine bunched hand finished.

enjoy them all...but i will say this...all cigars have the right time and place.

herfing with others...i will smoke my best(this week i may feel a machine made smoke is my best...next week it may be a monty from the 80's).

drinking...i will smoke mm's.

in cuba...i will smoke fresh(young)cigars.

hockey on tv...i will almost always reach for a mareva sized smoke(between the 1st and 2nd period is the time to light up)...there are machine made 5 1/8 by 42rg cigars .

etc etc .

there is a myth...started by i dont know who and perpetuated by a lot of people...that machine made cigars dont age or only age to a certain point...i believe this is untrue. i have some most excellent machine made smokes from the 80's and 90's that have aged quite nicely...also i have cohiba clubs from '03 that i feel are quite a bit better than the fresh 20packs i buy in cuba every november.

i guess the point i am trying to make is...
a waste of time???only if you think so.

It is possible, you missed my meaning. When I say why bother, I was trying to ask, if you are going to the trouble to purchase ISOM's, should you buy machine mades or just go ahead and get hand rolled. I was trying to get a feel for value, the difference in taste/quality vs price, etc. I would hate for someone to think I believed any cigar a waste of time. Swisher Sweets, Acids, etc. might qualify as a waste of time if you ever finsihed smoking one. IMHO, they qualify as a waste of money but YMMV.

(i.e. Partagas Perfectos has a the perfect Partagas taste, but not complex)

Hoochie mama. I love those things. They are now hard to find, but they are AWESOME. I'm a big fan of the machine mades. Still enjoy Romeos and Partagas MM's from time to time. I would like to try the bolivar ones in the near future.

It is possible, you missed my meaning. When I say why bother, I was trying to ask, if you are going to the trouble to purchase ISOM's, should you buy machine mades or just go ahead and get hand rolled. I was trying to get a feel for value, the difference in taste/quality vs price, etc. I would hate for someone to think I believed any cigar a waste of time. Swisher Sweets, Acids, etc. might qualify as a waste of time if you ever finsihed smoking one. IMHO, they qualify as a waste of money but YMMV.

steamboat

well...in my own way(i suppose i ramble at times)i was trying to say yes machine made cuban cigars are worth it and have their time and place.

i will bring a 30$ box of smokes home from cuba(many times) and i will smoke machine made cigars in cuba if i feel like one.

hope you you enjoy if you decide to try.

The breva is my everyday smoke. Even times when I want something better I still end up grabbing a good ol faithful breva. They never let me down.

HdM Palmas Extra, MM hand finished. At one time Partagas made a Topper that was about 6 X 40 about a buck a stick islandside. John

I smoked a Guantanamero last night and it was just OK.

RyJ and Punch Tubos that are machine made are the best IMO.