• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Made the cutter switch...

Eshaw99

Just livin' the dream
I left my Xikar that I've had for nearly 10 years in a golf cart in Pigeon Forge, TN. I went to my local B&M to pick up a replacement. When I got there, I noticed they were having a sale on the Palio cutters. After hearing nothing but positive reviews over the course of several years, I decided to give the Palio a shot.

In short, I love it. Never had a complaint with the cut of my Xikar, I just didn't like how little bits of leaf would get down in the "V" and cause it to stick (attempting to clean it out can be a pain as outlined in this very old story http://www.cigarpass.com/forum/index.php?threads/adventures-in-idiocy.11407/). The Palio is a simpler design and provides a flawless cut. I think I'm a convert.

I have literally had the same Palio for over 10 years now....never sharpened, though it does need it. But I'll probably just buy a new one. They are the best cutters I've ever used.

I have literally had the same Palio for over 10 years now....never sharpened, though it does need it. But I'll probably just buy a new one. They are the best cutters I've ever used.

I've had the same Palio cutter for at least 10 years as well. Still sharp enough to cut without tearing or leaving pieces still attached to the cigar.

I had such a laugh reading your xikar teardown thread.

It makes me want to tear mine down more...I love it when springs go flying.

I prefer the Palio over the Xikar Teardrop type. Xikar's more traditional cutters are still very good, but I'd agree that the Palio is sharper. I stopped using V-Cuts well over 20 years ago. I like a big, open, draw. One advantage with the V-Cut is it is easy to sharpen.
Also, the notion that some of these cutters are self sharpening is false. If anything, they may align a bit when going through their range of motion, but absolutely nothing like what we think of as sharpening is happening.

I own both brands. I have them stashed so I'm never without. In my backpack, golf bag, hummi and car. IMO, trying to say which one I like more is like saying I love one of children more than the other. Not going happen.

I own both brands. I have them stashed so I'm never without. In my backpack, golf bag, hummi and car. IMO, trying to say which one I like more is like saying I love one of children more than the other. Not going happen.

I've seem to have grown a sizable collection of cutters as well over the last couple of years. My favorite right now is the Colibri v-cutter. I tried the Xicar v-cutter and I'm not a fan. Still have yet to try anything from Palio.

My favorite is the Xicar scissors. But I also have the colibri v-cut which is a nice change up. I also have the Xicar tear drop in my truck as a backup. I had a Palio but sent it in for warrant work only to find out the company was acquired by (I think) Cuban crafters. I'm been waiting for months to get the carbon Palio back. I cannot wait to get my Palio back.

What that guy said. It seems I have burned through about half a dozen "fancy" cutters from losing them. Palio had the nicest, most fluid motion. But felt cheap. The xikar tear drop felt heavy, solid, but felt unstable closing sometimes. -cold weather, numb hands, in a hurry, gloves, etc. Felt as if I needed more dexterity to pull off a clean, perpendicular* cut. In addition, finer adjustment "shaves" were harder to accomplish. Palio is a very good tradition cutter. However, my mainstay now is a xikar scissor. -very sharp, great control for finer "shaving" cuts, compact, and has a bottle opener. Palio is a solid purchase, sans the bottle opener...

I've seem to have grown a sizable collection of cutters as well over the last couple of years. My favorite right now is the Colibri v-cutter. I tried the Xicar v-cutter and I'm not a fan. Still have yet to try anything from Palio.

Hopefully Secrert Sanata is reading this.......

I've got an old standard Palio somewhere in a pile of stuff needing to be sent for repair. The plastic track got a bit of a bend from really light use and won't close all the way (hard to describe). Still sharp as all hell but it won't finish the cut.

Thanks for the reminder!

Just bought a Colibri V cutter after all these endorsements. My plastic V-Cutter is failing me and I've never really spent money on a cutter. Hoping for the best. If not I'll burn this place to the ground ;)

I've got a Palio and a Xikar, also the Victorinox Cigar tool and a large gauge Xikar punch, all on the little table where I smoke. I probably punch most of my smokes these days, but whatever the mood is I've got the tool.

Palio cuts wonderfully but feels cheap to me. Xikar is built like a tank but has to be lined up and operated 'just so' to get a good cut. It will do so, however, if you do your part.

Six of one, half dozen of another. Or, as I've heard them say in Texas, it's sort of a 'right boob, left boob' problem......:D

I've got a Palio and a Xikar, also the Victorinox Cigar tool and a large gauge Xikar punch, all on the little table where I smoke. I probably punch most of my smokes these days, but whatever the mood is I've got the tool.

Palio cuts wonderfully but feels cheap to me. Xikar is built like a tank but has to be lined up and operated 'just so' to get a good cut. It will do so, however, if you do your part.

Six of one, half dozen of another. Or, as I've heard them say in Texas, it's sort of a 'right boob, left boob' problem......:D

One thing I found with the Xikar Xi cutters is that the xi2 and xi4 cuts aren't as nice as the xi1 & xi3. Maybe it's just me but I found a world of difference between them and how they cut.

My Xikar .008 or whatever it was called punch was supposed to be my go to. No matter how careful I am with carrying it, I always seem to ding up the blade.

On the plus side the warranty is awesome.

Best cutter ever was those cheapie Havana Cutters for $1.89. I lost my last one a year ago and have been searching all over for some. A number of years back someone on CF had the company do a run of them. If you run into one in a cigar shop, got it you won't regret it. I have one of almost every kind of cutter, like my Palio, but technique is everything with cutters. YMMV There are no wrong answers!

Best cutter ever was those cheapie Havana Cutters for $1.89. I lost my last one a year ago and have been searching all over for some. A number of years back someone on CF had the company do a run of them. If you run into one in a cigar shop, got it you won't regret it. I have one of almost every kind of cutter, like my Palio, but technique is everything with cutters. YMMV There are no wrong answers!

That's only because you didn't have your teeth with you!

That's only because you didn't have your teeth with you!

You don't carry yours in your pocket like my Uncle Larry did?

He'd only put em in if he couldn't chew something. Needless to say he rarely put them in. He'd plow through steak and Doritos with no teeth. Lol.