• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maduro fermentation process cigars

badhangover

I have pretty much given up on maduro fermentation process cigars in my steady cigar "diet". Perhaps it is a phase. I don't know, time will tell. I used to nearly exclusively smoke maduro processed cigars, when I exclusively smoked N/C's, but I would now rather procure cigars with a truer representation of the component tobacco leaves' inherent flavor profile.

I am of the "You don't drown a good steak in steak sauce" camp. Something which tastes great, or even good, should not (in my opinion) have its flavor masked by means of adulteration. I can always alter my taste perception of a cigar by choosing a drink pairing for it. Coffee, Scotch, wine, etc all slightly alter a cigar's taste to my palate. Heck, I could add salt or pepper to it if I wished to do so. All of these things add slight taste variations within my control. The maduro fermentation process, however, is an outright masking and adulteration of tobacco's flavor profile. It is putting the steak sauce on, if you will, before it even reaches my table. Yes, I realize it is (often) a natural procedure, but I no longer enjoy the sweetened adulteration of the tobacco leaf.

I have also come to wonder if the maduro process is used at all to mask the flavor of inferior tobacco leaf. I think this is quite possibly so, and I wonder just how much this is, if it is indeed so.

Note: I am not knocking anyone who enjoys maduro cigars. I am merely now leaving more for your enjoyment.

I have pretty much given up on maduro fermentation process cigars in my steady cigar "diet". Perhaps it is a phase. I don't know, time will tell. I used to nearly exclusively smoke maduro processed cigars, when I exclusively smoked N/C's, but I would now rather procure cigars with a truer representation of the component tobacco leaves' inherent flavor profile.

I am of the "You don't drown a good steak in steak sauce" camp. Something which tastes great, or even good, should not (in my opinion) have its flavor masked by means of adulteration. I can always alter my taste perception of a cigar by choosing a drink pairing for it. Coffee, Scotch, wine, etc all slightly alter a cigar's taste to my palate. Heck, I could add salt or pepper to it if I wished to do so. All of these things add slight taste variations within my control. The maduro fermentation process, however, is an outright masking and adulteration of tobacco's flavor profile. It is putting the steak sauce on, if you will, before it even reaches my table. Yes, I realize it is (often) a natural procedure, but I no longer enjoy the sweetened adulteration of the tobacco leaf.

I have also come to wonder if the maduro process is used at all to mask the flavor of inferior tobacco leaf. I think this is quite possibly so, and I wonder just how much this is, if it is indeed so.

Note: I am not knocking anyone who enjoys maduro cigars. I am merely now leaving more for your enjoyment.

What part of the process are you referring to as 'steak sauce'?

If you take this to an extreme, all tobacco is fermented...ergo, you would not be smoking. No?

I realize tobacco leaf is not plucked straight from the ground, rolled up into cigars, and boxed and shipped out for retail. However, I think the difference between "natural" and "maduro" cigars is fairly straightforward. The maduro fermentation process changes the leaf composition to a sweeter version than that of "natural" cigars. I no longer enjoy that.

edit to include:
If "steak sauce" is not clear enough, then I will compare corn flakes to frosted flakes. I initially chose a meat analogy instead.

You can send me any that may be taking up space in your humi since you don't like them any more. Addy is in my profile. :D

I have pretty much given up on maduro fermentation process cigars in my steady cigar "diet". Perhaps it is a phase. I don't know, time will tell. I used to nearly exclusively smoke maduro processed cigars, when I exclusively smoked N/C's, but I would now rather procure cigars with a truer representation of the component tobacco leaves' inherent flavor profile

That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. All tobacco undergoes various curing and fermentation processes in order to make it something you'll fine palatable.

The process used for maduro wrapper is no more and no less pure than any other processes (and in fact, it's very similar).

-- All tobacco is grown with various combinations of fertilizers (which affects the taste)

-- All tobacco is harvested at various times, from various parts of the plant (which affects the taste)

-- All tobacco is cured (though there are various ways to cure it, which affects the taste).

-- All tobacco is fermented (though there are various ways to do this as well, which affects the taste).

The process is actually very similar regardless of the type of wrapper/tobacco being processed, in an abstract sense. What you're saying thus doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... any more than any particular process used to make the wide varieties of tea are the "one true process" or any more "natural".

What you claim are inherent tastes/flavors in the tobacco really aren't... there's an entire process that brings these out, even for "natural" wrapper/tobacco.

BTW, "maduro" isn't just about the processing, it's also about when the leaf is picked... remember that "maduro" means "ripe" -- maduro leaf is left on the plant longer, similar to how grapes left on the vine longer are made into ice/dessert wine.

I think everyone goes through their phases. I've read others voice this about just about every wrapper type out there. Maybe you'll be back to maduros, maybe not. But I for one am glad that there's one less pair of lungs suckin' on all those disgustingly sweet Magicos, Genios and Secretos. :whistling:

I realize tobacco leaf is not plucked straight from the ground, rolled up into cigars, and boxed and shipped out for retail. However, I think the difference between "natural" and "maduro" cigars is fairly straightforward. The maduro fermentation process changes the leaf composition to a sweeter version than that of "natural" cigars. I no longer enjoy that.

The difference being the heat and time - correct?

As far as 'sweeter', that's interesting. I find they lose some of the 'taste' of the tobacco, like it's been cooked out.
However, that could be the 'blending' to compensate for the wrapper.

What % does the wrapper attribute to flavor/taste?

I'd look at a nice VSG and would call it a maduro, although I don't know if the process to get it that shade was actual fermenting or just the leaf (I believe the later).

I'd have to find a maduro and natural cigar with the same binder and filler to test....hmmmm, what to try! :D

What % does the wrapper attribute flavor/taste?

I'd look at a nice VSG and would call it a maduro, although I don't know if the process to get it that shade was actual fermenting or just the leaf (I believe the later).

I'd have to find a maduro and natural cigar with the same binder and filler to test....hmmmm, what to try! :D

Oh no.... not again! See linky! :whistling:

Well, that adds to the confusion... "maduro" used to mean just the process... it has come to also mean the color of the wrapper. However you can obtain fairly dark wrappers that are not created with the maduro process at all (which simplified, is just leaving the leaves on the plant longer, and then fermenting it in tightly packed bails longer).

What % does the wrapper attribute flavor/taste?

Oh no.... not again! See linky! :whistling:

Hehehe....you've been paying attention like a good CP'r! :thumbs:

And using 'search'! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Well, that adds to the confusion... "maduro" used to mean just the process... it has come to also mean the color of the wrapper. However you can obtain fairly dark wrappers that are not created with the maduro process (which simplified, is just leaving the leaves on the plant longer, and then fermenting it in tightly packed bails longer).

That's the point of the comment. Which 'process' and how does it 'change' the leaf.

I hear ya. Whatever the process or lack thereof, maduros are generally too sweet for my liking. :)