• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maduro humidity

brownnation

A lot of the darker smokes I have tend to smoke more humid than the lighter wrappers. The draw is tighter and they burn more unevenly. I've taken to setting them out for a couple hours before I smoke them and I'm considering keeping them in a different humidor at a lower %.

I keep my humidor at around 65%. Anyone else have this issue with the darker smokes? I think I'll try keeping a humi at between 62-63% for the dark ones and see if that helps.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

Brown

I smoke a lot of Maduro's. All my cigars are grouped in the same humidors.

However, the top section of my humidors always run a few % RH lower than the middle and bottom, this is where I store my ISOM boxes as I prefer them to be 65% or below.

Brian

sounds like alot of trouble and expense for a 2% rh difference.

sounds like alot of trouble and expense for a 2% rh difference.

Well, I have my main humidor mini cabinet thing that holds 500+ (hoping to keep testing it out to see how many I can really get in there :thumbs: ) and then I have a desk top that holds 100. I was just going to crank down the humidity in the desktop and keep my maduros in there. I'll keep them at 55% if I have to, I just seem to for whatever reason have trouble with them at about the 66% that my other humi is usually at.

And it very specifically seems to be the darker leaf, I don't recall ever having an issue with the others, so I don't think it's a hygrometer issue, I've calibrated it, it's digital, etc. I've just really been fighting the maduros.

I store all of my smokes at 65% or so. I smoke A LOT of maduros (almost exclusively) and I never have any problems. Have these been fresh from the vendor or are they long term residents of your humidor? I have found that maduros do take a little longer to stabilize due to the thicker nature of the wrapper leaf, but not much longer.

I store all of my smokes at 65% or so. I smoke A LOT of maduros (almost exclusively) and I never have any problems. Have these been fresh from the vendor or are they long term residents of your humidor? I have found that maduros do take a little longer to stabilize due to the thicker nature of the wrapper leaf, but not much longer.

Yes, this is definitely true. They get better after I get them shipped to me if I let them sit in the humidor for about a month. But even after that they tend to not to smoke as well as the others. I have noticed the maduros take way longer when I get them (usually from CI) to stabilize. I generally now don't even attempt to smoke them until I've had them about a month. They get better, but I still fight with most of them.

For a long while a cheap favorite of mine was the El Rey del Mundo Robusto Larga Oscuro. I found that they actually needed higher humidity to smoke like I wanted them to. My humi was set @ 65% so I threw them in a small desktop set @ 70% and they were much better.

As far as the rest of my maduro stock, they all smoke excellent @ 65%.

Could your hygro be off?

I find a bit under 65% to be about right for most cigars. I just burned a 601 Oscuro La Fuerza yesterday that was perfect from my 63% desktop.

BTW, depending on the cigar, 2% can make a difference. Criollo/corojo blends are still smokable at 67%, of course, just not as tasty as at 65% with draw and burn off, too. At 63% they are better still! Why it would be more expensive or difficult?