• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MADURO VS. OSCURO???

Favorite inexpensive Maduro & Connecticut cigars w/ price per stick...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeRoy W. Lee

Southern Charmer...
Hello. Can you help in telling me which cigar has the most intense Maduro-like flavor: a true Maduro or an intensely fermented, "double-maduro" Oscuro? Thanks for answering these simple, basic questions, but, I gotta learn somehow... Thanks, piedpiper62

Mmkay.

Oscuro is a type of raw leaf exposed to a normal curing process.

"Maduro" refers to the curing of a leaf and the fermentation to make it "Maduro", or mature.

Oscuro leaves, however, are the leaves taken from the crown of the plant that have received maximum sunlight and cured normally. They get their darkness due to the sunlight that made them darker and thicker throughout growing.

They look similar but are different.

Mmkay.

"Maduro" refers to the curing of a leaf and the fermentation to make it "Maduro", or mature.

Oscuro leaves, however, are the leaves taken from the crown of the plant that have received maximum sunlight and cured normally. They get their darkness due to the sunlight that made them darker and thicker throughout growing.

The only way to know what you personally like is to smoke a few of each. If you want to try something very very strong. Camacho does one called Triple Maduro, it is to me like very strong pure Expresso coffee.

Liga 9 - great oscuro smoke, and the 601 is too.

Not a fan of Maduro....

T

Fuente 858 maduro.

Your poll sucks.

It’s like asking...

Would you prefer a Luke warm piece of crap, a warm piece of crap, or a hot steaming piece of crap.

Last edited:
Mmkay.

Are you sure you’re not confusing oscuro with ligero?

You still here? You must enjoy being kicked around.

Doc

I think it is actually a good sign Doc, I was young here once, talking about the amazing Gurkhas I was smoking.....
I think I turned out alright......Education, patience, and thick skin was the key

T

I think it is actually a good sign Doc, I was young here once, talking about the amazing Gurkhas I was smoking.....
I think I turned out alright......Education, patience, and thick skin was the key

T

Very true, many of us had similar journeys. I made my first (and only) order from Thompsons. I had to move twice to get them to drop me from the mailing list.

It’s interesting, when I google it, I get widely varying answers, some of it matching up with what Coin-crazed is saying and some of it definitely not. My long-held belief was that oscuro was merely a color-grade for ‘very dark, nearly black’, and did not necessarily indicate much about how that color was achieved.

I actually like ordering from JR for certain things, albeit has been more than a year since doing so.

T
Are you kidding me? He has no respect for the rules. He's 22 and knows it all. I no longer have the time and patience to educate him. BTW, I don't remember you being a jerk.

Doc

Last edited:
Be very careful when buying maduro or escuro cigars, especially from those vendors. They are often dyed dark and not what you think, but you guys know it all anyway.:rolleyes:

Doc

Apprently you are more a fan or the local B & M, that is your choice, as it is your money you are spending.

I actually like ordering from JR for certain things, albeit has been more than a year since doing so.

Don't worry on-line retailers are just businessmen with big ideas who did not stop with just one little shop. Honeslty with the Internet you have to be compete actively, or the online retailers will close your door. Also the online lives and dies today like any business, bad products, or bad customer service is news you do not want to go viral on the internet.

One local B & M way east of me has a fairly nice shop, good sized walk in humidor, great selection of Cigars, including house blend made by some of the better makers, has a Diamond Crown Branded lounge, sells nice watches also, and men's old school shavers, and grooming products. Last the staff know Cigars, is knowledgeable, and understands good old customer service.

This guys shop is in an industrial area, next too a private airport, not a foo foo building, and does a huge on line business out of a huge wearhouse in the same complex. He goes head to head with the other online rs like CI, Famous, etc., saying being me their ad. I will match the price, simple idea that captures more local sales.

I will defend the online retailer as I deal with several from time to time, those 4 or 5 have alway been positive experiences. The only time I got a wrong item I sent an e-mail, photo of the wrong item, explaination. I was told keep the wrong item, and sent the right item in 48 hours USPS Priority Mail.

Last edited:
Apprently you are more a fan or the local B & M, that is your choice, as it is your money you are spending.

Don't worry on-line retailers are just businessmen with big ideas who did not stop with just one little shop. Honeslty with the Internet you have to be compete actively, or the online retailers will close your door. Also the online lives and dies today like any business, bad products, or bad customer service is news you do not want to go viral on the internet.

One local B & M way east of me has a fairly nice shop, good sized walk in humidor, great selection of Cigars, including house blend made by some of the better makers, has a Diamond Crown Branded lounge, sells nice watches also, and men's old school shavers, and grooming products. Last the staff know Cigars, is knowledgeable, and understands good old customer service.

This guys shop is in an industrial area, next too a private airport, not a foo foo building, and does a huge on line business out of a huge wearhouse in the same complex. He goes head to head with the other online rs like CI, Famous, etc., saying being me their ad. I will match the price, simple idea that captures more local sales.

I will defend the online retailer as I deal with several from time to time, those 4 or 5 have alway been positive experiences. The only time I got a wrong item I sent an e-mail, photo of the wrong item, explaination. I was told keep the wrong item, and sent the right item in 48 hours USPS Priority Mail.
Just for the record, are you actually endorsing Thompson Cigars et al?

Doc