• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maintaining humidity?

I put a small bowl of water in there tonight, lets see what happens. I'll let it sit for two days.

Edit: I meant a week.

I took the bowl out two days ago and checked the hygrometer today. It read 57% rh, I looked at beads in one case and practically all were white. What do you think.. not enough seasoning?

Re-hydrate the beads to about 80% of them clear and put them back in the humidor. This humidor must be very dry or the seal on the lid is not good. Either way you need to add moisture to the beads. Place the bowl of water back in as well for a few days and see if the rh starts to climb.

Any other ways I could do it besides spraying? Cant seem to find an unused bottle

Any other ways I could do it besides spraying? Cant seem to find an unused bottle

You can pour distilled water on the beads very slowly. There is a possibility that some of the beads will crack this way but cracking does not affect the way the beads work.

I think I was having similar problems with my humidor, when it appeared to be holding a good Rh, but then it would drop. My problem ended up being improper seasoning. I was trying to do it too quickly by wetting the wood but immediately putting my cigars in there.

I ended up taking the long, slow route:

1) Took all my cigars out and placed them in a sealable plastic baggie

2) Wetted down some paper towels with distilled water (didn't have a clean sponge)

3) Wiped down the entire interior of my humidor until the wood looked wet. Note: it wasn't soaked where water would pool or drop. It was just wet so that the wood changed color to indicate moisture was added to it. This immediately created a humid environment of over 90%

4) Put in my humidifier and a shot glass filled with distilled water.........Waited 24 hours. This dropped the humidity down to about 73%

5) Did the same process all over AGAIN! That is, I wiped the wood again with distilled water and waited ANOTHER 24 hours! This was the longest wait of my life but I was thankful to do things the right way!

6) At the end of the waiting period, the humidity was around 70% - 75% with no cigars in there. I filled that sucker up, and at first, the humidy spiked around 85%, so I opened the humidor occassionally to help balance things out, as well as close my humidifier (credo). Now it's around 69% and holding nicely.

So if you used the painter's tape and you still have that low of a humidity, I would say that the interior of your humidor isn't seasoned properly. You want to make sure that the wood has absorbed all the natural humidy that you create so that it maintains that level when full. I knew that my humidor was properly "charged" when it was able to maintain the humidity I wanted WITHOUT any cigars in there for at least 24 hours.

Interesting, it would make a lot of sense. I'll give you guys an update in a few days.

Thanks again.

Well I tried it again, reseasoned again and everything and it did the same exact things. I mentioned it to the person who originally inspired me to purchase one because he was having success with his and guess what...his did the same things so he moved on to a coolidor. Im done with the humidor and I started to reason my other small one 2 days ago. That'll have to do for now until I can save up for a larger one in a few months.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. Appreciate it!

Well I tried it again, reseasoned again and everything and it did the same exact things. I mentioned it to the person who originally inspired me to purchase one because he was having success with his and guess what...his did the same things so he moved on to a coolidor. Im done with the humidor and I started to reason my other small one 2 days ago. That'll have to do for now until I can save up for a larger one in a few months.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone. Appreciate it!

Well if you need someone to help you dispose of the humi, just let me know, I am here to help... :whistling: