• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Making a humi out of furniture?

brownnation

I want to turn this old stand into a humidor. Is this possible? Is it a matter of sealing everything internally, or would it have to be gutted? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

humi-potential.jpg

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

Brown

Search is your friend. I know a couple of guys have made similar conversions. Search through the other conversions and then I'm sure the guys who have done it will be happy to answer any questions the threads haven't answered. :thumbs:

That looks like it would make a great conversion. replace the shelves with spanish cedar, line the cabinet with luan, (thin mahogany plywood, available inexpensively at Home Depot), maybe some weatherstrip seal for the door, you'll have a very nice humodor!

there are a few similiar projects detailed here, I'm sure you can dig up more info.

Dennis~

I have a similar idea. I have access to all kinds of antique european cabinets etc... and i am looking for the right piece to turn into a humi. I am considering a old canoe from some pacific island that has been turned into a really cool stand up cabinet.

That looks like it would make a great conversion. replace the shelves with spanish cedar, line the cabinet with luan, (thin mahogany plywood, available inexpensively at Home Depot), maybe some weatherstrip seal for the door, you'll have a very nice humodor!

there are a few similiar projects detailed here, I'm sure you can dig up more info.

Dennis~

Good advice! Use 1/8" luan to line the top, bottom, door, and sides, and 1/4" luan to replace the back. Spanish cedar shelving is ideal, as it will impart some odor as well as absorbing some of the humidity to release as needed.

For humidification, I would recommend Avallo's Accumonitor system:

Accumonitor

Determine how many square feet you have to humidify, and get one extra cannister.

Don't worry about getting it completely airtight, just seal it up as best you can, as The Accumonitor will keep the humidity level very constant. I, personally, feel a bit of fresh air seeping in is not a bad thing, as most of the commercially and furniture grade humidors produced are not entirely airtight.

Most of all, enjoy your project, as there is a great deal of personal satisfaction in doing your own conversion!

My conversion:

Armoire conversion

It is, by no stretch of the imagination, airtight. But it maintains an RH of approximately 67 with minimal effort, and I have to refill the cannisters about every 1 1/2 to 2 months. And, most importantly, my wife loves the way it looks! :thumbs: Which may not be a consideration in your household, but counts big time at "Casa Straw"!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I will try and answer them as best I can.

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'll start the project over the weekend and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

BTW...JackStraw, that cabinet is the greatest! The stuff in it didn't look too bad either. It brought a tear to my eye to see such a great use of a cabinet. Hats off to you my friend! After seeing that I might try and talk my wife into letting me "redecorate" her walk in closet. :D

Thanks again guys, hopefully in a few weeks I'll have pictures of my new humidor.

Brown

I converted an antique ice chest into a humidor Here is the thread on another site ice chest conversion

I just started another one for a friend of mine. They are rewarding projects. Just make sure you have a good sealed box.

I hope this will give you some ideas. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

JonsIceChest.jpg

Frontdoorsremoved.jpg

Completelygutted.jpg

In insulated it
Insulated.jpg

Built an inner box
Innerbox.jpg

Still more work to do
Innerboxinstalled.jpg

Tim, You humidor making fool you!
You are the master! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Too cool mouse! You wanna come and help me with my little project? :D

Ah, you can do it. There is nothing more rewarding then doing it yourself....just ask Mark(Mr.Tapes) his turn out awesome.

Edited for spelling...because I don't pay attention at times.

Too cool mouse! You wanna come and help me with my little project? :D

Ah, you can do it. There is nothing more rewarding then doing it yourself....just ask Mark(Mr.Tapes) his turn out assume.

Are we speaking in tounges now mouse? LOL
Nice to see the styro in the new one. :whistling:

See how this all works, I steal your ideas, You steal mine.........
Then we all benefit from each others knowledge!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I converted an antique ice chest into a humidor Here is the thread on another site ice chest conversion

I just started another one for a friend of mine. They are rewarding projects. Just make sure you have a good sealed box.

I hope this will give you some ideas. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

JonsIceChest.jpg

Frontdoorsremoved.jpg

Completelygutted.jpg

In insulated it
Insulated.jpg

Built an inner box
Innerbox.jpg

Still more work to do
Innerboxinstalled.jpg

Nice! I think an Ice Box is a terrific idea.