• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mama Juana anyone?

Dave

Padilla Lanceros, yum yum!!
Ok, so I heard about this special drink called mama juana, mainly found in the Dominican. It's essence is in the bottle, consisting of flowers, wood chips, and leaves to help re-ferment liquor (usually rum) to provide a bolder profile.

Ingredients I used:

Whole cloves
Chamomile
Cinnamon sticks
Brasil wood
Hoja de Tilo (don't know the english name)
raisins
star anise

Most of these can be found in little packets in the Spanish aisle of your supermarket, or just go to a Latin grocery store.

I put these ingredients into an empty bottle, filled the rest with red wine. Ideally I am supposed to use honey as well, but this initial filling is meant to clean out the ingredients and prep the herbs and spices for future use. You can drink the wine from the initial pouring, but I've heard from many people that it's not that good, thus the wine used might as well be cheap. Leave it in for a week, then pour out the wine, but be sure to try to keep the herbs and spices still contained in the bottle.

My friend told me to use Brugal as the rum base. I looked around in the liquor store and Brugal Anejo was fairly cheap, so I might go with that. I'll come back to this in about 6 months after I put some Brugal in, hopefully the experiment will bear fruit.

Tilo

As for the recipe, I don't know how it's made. Like Cocito, I bet there are many variations.

yeah cause the one that i was told you mix the wine, honey and rum in the bottle with all the "pieces" and let that sit for a while then drink it like that.

but becareful Dave Mama Juana is said to leave women in your surrounding area "tired" :whistling:

I was told by many not to mess with this stuff. Also isn't there soposed to be marijuna in that mix

I have a bottle of this that's been sitting on the shelf for about two years now. One of my employees brought it back from her vacation visiting her family in the D.R. Tone's right, as much as I can determine there are several variations. I was told to mix the contents of the bottle with rum and drink it. It's claimed to be the remedy for every health ailment imaginable. I've been wanting to try it but frankly, I'm a li'l nervous! Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend.

Short story.... Last year I spent two hours in the kitchen making my first ever batch of coquito. When I was finished I filled the empty( :whistling: ) Bacardi bottle from which the rum came, with the coquito. I had enough left over to fill a small carafe and I put both in the refrigerator to cool. Later that night I went to the fridge to sample perfection. ;) Someone had shifted the bottles around and when I opened the fridge the Bacardi bottle came tumbling out, in slow motion, and smashed all over the kitchen floor. :0 :( :angry: All I had left was the small carafe...... and it was damn good too! I'll try again in a few weeks.

I have a bottle of this that's been sitting on the shelf for about two years now. One of my employees brought it back from her vacation visiting her family in the D.R. Tone's right, as much as I can determine there are several variations. I was told to mix the contents of the bottle with rum and drink it. It's claimed to be the remedy for every health ailment imaginable. I've been wanting to try it but frankly, I'm a li'l nervous! Maybe I'll give it a go this weekend.

Short story.... Last year I spent two hours in the kitchen making my first ever batch of coquito. When I was finished I filled the empty( :whistling: ) Bacardi bottle from which the rum came, with the coquito. I had enough left over to fill a small carafe and I put both in the refrigerator to cool. Later that night I went to the fridge to sample perfection. ;) Someone had shifted the bottles around and when I opened the fridge the Bacardi bottle came tumbling out, in slow motion, and smashed all over the kitchen floor. :0 :( :angry: All I had left was the small carafe...... and it was damn good too! I'll try again in a few weeks.

I've heard from numerous sources that the longer it sits in the bottle stewing in the myriad herbs and spices, the more potent the concoction. In short, better tell the wife to take the next day off after you partake of the magic mojo juice. :laugh: :blush:

It's essence is in the bottle, consisting of flowers, wood chips, and leaves to help re-ferment liquor (usually rum) to provide a bolder profile.
How exactly are you re-fermenting a potent alcohol that would usually kill off any yeasts? Also one that has been distilled leaving very little, if any, fermentable sugars left in solution?

Kind of confusing.

That sounds tragic, hopefully this years batch will be better safeguarded, LOL

It's essence is in the bottle, consisting of flowers, wood chips, and leaves to help re-ferment liquor (usually rum) to provide a bolder profile.
How exactly are you re-fermenting a potent alcohol that would usually kill off any yeasts? Also one that has been distilled leaving very little, if any, fermentable sugars left in solution?

Kind of confusing.

I'm only using the word "re-ferment" as a pseudo adverb for a lack of a better word comes to mind. Maybe "fortify" would be a better fit.

Kind of confusing.

I'm only using the word "re-ferment" as a pseudo adverb for a lack of a better word comes to mind. Maybe "fortify" would be a better fit.

Would infuse work?

Probably tastes like a flavored cigar too...

-Rob

I was in the DR last year and picked up a couple of bottles....you have to transport it dry though. They won't let you fly with any liquid in the mix. I have been refilling it all year with rum, red wine and honey. Tastes just like it did when I bought it and was told it will last for 10+ years. They drink it down there like water.

That sounds delicious, I have got to try that. mmmmmm.

Peace, Ceasar

Well, last time I went to the DR, I drank the best MamaJuana ever. It had been fermented for a long time, and I asked the guy his recipe. So here it goes.

First, if you do buy the ''Kit'' (in the DR, they sell bags of the herbs, mixted), or the individual leaves and spices, you have to put the in a bottle, or glass gallon jar in my case, with some king of string spirit: rhum, preferably, but not the good quality stuff, the most decent cheap rhum you can find. Why? Because the process is the following:

1. Set all the leaves and spices in the bottle of your choice. You should have about 1/2 to 2/3 of the bottle loosely filled with the herbs.
2. Pour your spirit of choice in there (decent cheap rhum the best) to cover the leaves.
3. Let it be for 2 weeks, and then throw the licor...in the garbage! Why? The flavor of the leaves is too strong at that point....
4. Now pour 1/3 good red wine, 1/3 good dark rhum, 1/3 honey.

Let it be for as long as you can. The longer the better. After it is all empty, repeat the process with the same spices, over and over again untill the become tasteless....

I was told you can keep it as much as 15-20 years by people in the DR.

I could not say it has a big effect on the little soldier, but in my case, after a couple of glasses, it makes me hella tipsy, and funny feeling, in a good way...

enjoy guys...it is my choice beverage with a cigar by the way

gianni