• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Manual Transmission is pickup trucks

Scap, thanks for the link. That was very helpful. Peter, have you seen those Semi Trucks that are made to look like a regular pickup truck? One of those would be very cool- like a Ford 550. But it means that I would burn a gallon of fuel just getting out of my garage and another to get to the end of my driveway- $5 just to get out of the house! I'm kidding- I think. Thanks for the ideas and resources guys.

Scap, thanks for the link. That was very helpful. Peter, have you seen those Semi Trucks that are made to look like a regular pickup truck? One of those would be very cool- like a Ford 550. But it means that I would burn a gallon of fuel just getting out of my garage and another to get to the end of my driveway- $5 just to get out of the house! I'm kidding- I think. Thanks for the ideas and resources guys.

Those trucks are for guys who have to overcompensate for anatomical inadequacies.

Because my VW is under the recall and possible buyback I have been looking at a full size pickup for a replacement. My only requirement at this point is a crew cab. What brand would everyone recommend quality wise?

If I were to get a new truck, I'd go with a GMC, just because I like the features and aesthetics of them. A moderately optioned Chevrolet goes for about the same as a GMC with the same options stock, so the upcharge for "the name" really isn't there anymore unless you are looking a Denali. But, I'm not in the market for a new truck, so I'll continue changing the oil and rotating the tires on my 11-year-old Dodge.

I'd honestly look at models that are in their last year of production before the next generation is introduced. Those have had time for the bugs to surface and be worked out. True, you may not get all the fancy bells and whistles that are introduced every new model, but you'll know what to look for. Once you figure out what you may want, get on brand-specific internet forums and research, research, research. Most people only post on forums now when they have a problem and need an answer, so look for trends in issues. Every vehicle is going to have its quirks, good and bad, and it is really just deciding what you want to live with.

As for long term quality, I still don't think you can go wrong with a Toyota. The early Tundras had brake issues, but that has long-since been remedied. Or, the newer Titans come with the Cummins diesel, now, too. I'm not too high on the looks, though (is it a Nissan? Is it a Ford?), but that's subjective and you are the only one that has to like it.

Slightly used. I'd say an 11-14 F-150.
Brand new. I'm leaning GM Silverado/Sierra 1500.

I drive a 13 F150. Great truck. Dad has a 15 Chevy and my best friend just got a 16. Very nice trucks.

Drove a newer Ram for a few months at the beginning of this year when my Ford was at the body shop. It was ok, but it was a stripped down base model rental.

Ok I had another question regarding manual transmission trucks. I understand that manual transmission is the predominant transmission in Europe and I guess the rest of the world. What would be the experience be if I tried to import a Toyota Hilix or similar? Anyone done this?

Ok I had another question regarding manual transmission trucks. I understand that manual transmission is the predominant transmission in Europe and I guess the rest of the world. What would be the experience be if I tried to import a Toyota Hilix or similar? Anyone done this?

I hear it is very expensive. Would be amazing to have a diesel Hilux with a manual transmission here in the States.

I hear it is very expensive. Would be amazing to have a diesel Hilux with a manual transmission here in the States.
That's what I'm saying. What kinda costs would I see on importing a truck from Europe?

I was reading that the EPA puts the kibosh on importing the Hilix diesel unless you had a bunch of mods done to it that would apparently double the purchase price.

I was reading that the EPA puts the kibosh on importing the Hilix diesel unless you had a bunch of mods done to it that would apparently double the purchase price.

That's pretty much what I've heard.

Can't imagine the boat ride would be cheap, either.

Boat ride would be about $2K from Europe to the east coast, and closer to $3K if you are trucking it over to the left coast. It was just over $4K to ship our Jeep from Germany to Hawaii. We've shipped vehicles both ways a few times.

Just saw this:

• BBI75Yp.img
18) 2018 Ram 2500/3500 Cummins Diesel 4WD
Base Price: $42,440

Workhorse manual transmission pickup trucks are a rare breed. Manual transmissions were once the top choice because it came with a granny low first gear for serious trailwork or slow speed towing around the farm. The only truckmaker to still offer one is Ram. So, with a big diesel and a manual transmission driving this Ram feels like an awesome commercial-grade throwback.

It’s not quick but it sure is fun to feel all that torque channeled and multiplied by a stout and slow-shifting manual gearbox. The Ram, when equipped with the 350 hp Cummins diesel generating 660 lb-ft of torque can be ordered with the G56 six-speed manual. When combined with the low range in the 4WD truck’s transfer case - the Ram feels like it could climb a vertical wall.