• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Marathon Runners

Smokin'Sims

Gettin' my nerd on, Hopp Schwiez!
I had a wild idea to try and run a marathon back in May of last year. To make this wild idea a bit crazier,I decided that my first marathon should be the Himeji Castle Marathon in Himeji Japan. I live in Switzerland. So at the end of July I started train, during scout camp in Italy. During the training, I missed 2 weeks to shinsplints and maybe 10 or so other workouts due to life getting in the way. This was also through a Swiss winter, which isn't too bad just a few slippery snowy days. At the end of February, I went off to run this thing with a friend well experienced in marathons. I finished in 5 hours 57 minutes, 3 less than the cut off time. Maybe I could have pushed myself harder and done better, but I had three main goals. My goals were simple: 1) not get kicked off for being too slow, 2) not be DFL (Dead F*** Last), and 3) not break myself. I accomplished all my goals. It was a fantastic race and excellent community support and organization. It won;t be last marathon, but my buddy said has set an extremely high bar for the rest. My next few races are half marathons; mostly flat, but one with an elevation gain of 1.2km. In Nov. I'm going to do the authentic marathon, Marathon to Athens. Hopefully, without mimicking the entire legend and dying at the end. Anyone else run full or half marathons? What were your experiences like?

28-7064003_full.jpgIMG_3294-1.jpg

I haven't done distance runs since school and the Army but always enjoyed the challenge. Great pictures!

I really want to start running. I just don't have the time to commit to it. Ok, I could probably make time, I just need the motivation.

Nicely done, regardless of your finish time, you made it!

Great accomplishment, congratulations!

That's awesome! Congratulations on finishing your first marathon. Whatever your time -- YOU FINISHED. That's an accomplishment, in itself. I love the idea of running THE Marathon in Greece. Best of luck!

My wife has taken up running since she has quit smoking and drinking. She's done a few shorter races, and has her first half marathon coming up in a few weeks. She's been hinting at running a half on each of the islands here that hold one (Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Big Island). I'm pretty proud of her, and I'm sure that if when we eventually get back to Europe, she's going to want to run in as many different countries as possible. I think she just likes the medals... :p

Again, congratulations on the feat of feet. Keep it up!

My favorite picture from this race is below. I had joked with my buddy running it that if Ihad the energy, I'd try to do some Deion "Primetime" Sanders high stepping near the end. After 41km, I thought I was crossing a bridge to the finish line (I had about 300m left to my surprise) and went for it.

Kann, there are many races all over Europe, and a few here where you can run through several countries in a race, France Switzerland and Germany.1159-1694970_full-1.jpg

Nice work brother. A full marathon is no joke!

My Wife no I were you into a few fun runs every year up till about 5 years ago. We went through a few months of training for a half and that November I broke my foot. The wife kept on training and I didn’t. After two surgeries I was finally cleared to jog again mid April. The race was Memorial Day in Boston. Well I went for it and it was hell. 2:45mins of hell to be exact however we finished and the wife stuck by my side to keep me going.

Fast forward 5 years to now and I am toying with signing up for the race again for this Memorial Day as I have been out running a bit for this weight loss challenge I’m in. I’ve done 10 miles in under 1:30 a few times over the last few weeks. The competition ends in 4 weeks so my goal is to do a half out on my own on the last week of the competition.

Cheers
Paul

I really want to start running. I just don't have the time to commit to it. Ok, I could probably make time, I just need the motivation.

Nicely done, regardless of your finish time, you made it!
Agreed! Finishing that distance is no joke.