• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

March Pipe Tobacco of the month prt. 2

Vapers

• Davidoff Flake Medallions-- tin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solani 633-- Tin

• McClelland 2015-- bulk

• Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Coins-- bulk

• Total voters
I voted Solani as it's the only one I haven't tried and I have been quite impressed with the other blends of theirs I have sampled.

- Tim
I may add some to my next tin purchase.

There's a shop not too far from my place that stocks Solani blends - or so they said when I inquired as to what brands they carry. Only problem is there's no other reason to head that way. Maybe a spring field trip is in order. You never know what you might find at an out-of-the-way B&M. ;)

Thanx for the heads-up, Tim! Always looking for new blends to try. :thumbs:

Steve

I voted Solani as it's the only one I haven't tried and I have been quite impressed with the other blends of theirs I have sampled.

- Tim
I may add some to my next tin purchase.

There's a shop not too far from my place that stocks Solani blends - or so they said when I inquired as to what brands they carry. Only problem is there's no other reason to head that way. Maybe a spring field trip is in order. You never know what you might find at an out-of-the-way B&M. ;)

Thanx for the heads-up, Tim! Always looking for new blends to try. :thumbs:

Steve

No problem Steve. Let us know how it tastes if you find it!

- Tim

Maybe a spring field trip is in order. You never know what you might find at an out-of-the-way B&M. ;)

Steve

Sometimes you can find some really great stuff that you cant find online. Ive heard of people coming across Bengal Slices, discontinued GLP, etc. This is especially true of those B&Ms that have no internet presence.

Good Luck!

Anyone have some reviews on the Davidoff yet. I haven't had time to start a bowl yet.

Anyone have some reviews on the Davidoff yet. I haven't had time to start a bowl yet.

Havent had a chance to crack the tin. Probably will be a while too since I already have some opened tins that I need to work through.

Havent had a chance to crack the tin. Probably will be a while too since I already have some opened tins that I need to work through.
You should talk to Mr Mason or Ms Ball. And I don't mean Jackie or Lucy! ;)

For m Review of the Davidoff Flake Medallions, I smoked the tobacco in two different pipes. The first pipe was a new Savinelli, that has only had a couple bowls of Virginia smoked out of it. The second pipe was a Master Beraldi with several bowls of VaPer passed through it. Here are the results:

Sample one—New pipe

The pre-light smell is a strong ketchup, as is consistent with most high quality Virginias. The start of the smoke was very leathery with grassy notes, as is also consistent to high quality Virginia blends. Very little spice so far, with a very earthy room note. About halfway through there is a transition to a very rich caramel like Virginia flavor. After the halfway point the spice begins to pick up, but is subtle and still holding a very pure Virginia flavor. About ¾ through the flavor transitions back to leathery with a very strong peppery spice and spicy aroma. Toward the end of the bowl the flavor finishes with a transition back to pure Virginia. Through the entire bowl the tobacco burned with only one re-light.

Sample two—Seasoned pipe

The second bowl was very consistent with the first, but was slightly richer, bearing a sweeter aroma. Both the first and second samples burned fairly cool thanks to the added Perique. For reference this blend consists of Coin pressed and cut Virginias, Perique, with a very small and subtle Cavendish center.

You should talk to Mr Mason or Ms Ball. And I don't mean Jackie or Lucy! ;)

Good point but I dont like too many opened tins at one time even if I put them in mason jars. Once you open a tin, it changes whole aging process IMO. I will more than likely sit on that tin for a while due to the virginias in it. Either that or buy another to age and open this one in the near future! :laugh:

For m Review of the Davidoff Flake Medallions, I smoked the tobacco in two different pipes. The first pipe was a new Savinelli, that has only had a couple bowls of Virginia smoked out of it. The second pipe was a Master Beraldi with several bowls of VaPer passed through it. Here are the results:

Sample one—New pipe

The pre-light smell is a strong ketchup, as is consistent with most high quality Virginias. The start of the smoke was very leathery with grassy notes, as is also consistent to high quality Virginia blends. Very little spice so far, with a very earthy room note. About halfway through there is a transition to a very rich caramel like Virginia flavor. After the halfway point the spice begins to pick up, but is subtle and still holding a very pure Virginia flavor. About ¾ through the flavor transitions back to leathery with a very strong peppery spice and spicy aroma. Toward the end of the bowl the flavor finishes with a transition back to pure Virginia. Through the entire bowl the tobacco burned with only one re-light.

Sample two—Seasoned pipe

The second bowl was very consistent with the first, but was slightly richer, bearing a sweeter aroma. Both the first and second samples burned fairly cool thanks to the added Perique. For reference this blend consists of Coin pressed and cut Virginias, Perique, with a very small and subtle Cavendish center.
How did you prepare the coins and load your pipe? That can make a difference.

I rolled up two coins and loaded them into one of my Boswells that does well with Virginias. I don't smoke a lot of VaPers, so I don't have a pipe dedicated to them.

The smoke starts out very thick and it's very sweet and earthy. I find this to be fairly consistent with most high quality Virginias. The Perique is there, but it's not as pronounced as some blends. It just sits in the background and raises its hand every now and again so I know it's there. I think the cavendish takes some of the oomph out of the Perique as it adds its sweetness. I don't get a lot of variation as the bowl is smoked down. I seem to always get a bit of a bitter finish with Virginias towards the end of the bowl, but it's less prevalent with this blend than many others.

This is obviously very high quality tobacco and it tastes pretty good. The times I've rubbed it out or broken it up, it tasted a bit different and the Perique was more pronounced. It has always burned very well and left a very fine ash.

Personally, I prefer Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flakes simply due to the price difference. The Davidoff is a little smoother, but the difference doesn't make up for the price differential in my opinion.

I like this stuff a lot and have smoked my way through 2 tins prior to this Tobacco of the Month thread. The Virginias are immediately powerful and sweet, so much so that you think you might have to be a bit careful here but then the cavendish steps in to soothe them with a gentle touch. Meanwhile the Perique stands back a bit and sort of infuses the whole affair in a wispy blanket of slightly musty and sour fruit.
Deeeeeelicious!

After I mentioned this stuff to Alan a few months ago he introduced me to Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flakes. I find the flavors in the Davidoff more subtly married and overall it seems a bit more refined but the price of the Stokkebye tobacco more than makes up for that. I have 2 tins of the Davidoff but about 3/4 of a pound of the Stokkebye ;)

- Tim

I have 2 tins of the Davidoff but about 3/4 of a pound of the Stokkebye

Tim,

Just like you and Alan, I also love the Bullseye! It's great stuff, and your right for the price you can't beat it.

OK, I finally got around to cracking open my tin of Davidoff Flake Medallions, in between taking care of my 3 week old baby girl and my 2 year old Rottie who is recovering from surgery on his ACL, my smoking time has been severly compromised. But, this evening I decided to take my other dog on a nice long stroll and chose to fire up the Davidoff flakes in a Dunhill group 3 Cumberland quarter-bent billiard.

I took one flake/coin and folded and stuffed it in the bowl, then I took half of another flake/coin and rubbed it out on top of the folded flake/coin to help with the lighting of the pipe. I used my Zippo to get things going.

The first few puffs were very peppery with some tart notes coming from the virginia. As I smoked through the bowl I noticed that the perique was very dominant when exhaled through the nose, but I tasted mostly virginia on my tongue. The cavendish added a nice sweetness that was always hovering in the background.

Overall, this was a very interesting blend. I need to smoke a few more bowls to really give a good review, but I definitely enjoyed this tobacco. :thumbs:

Sounds like this baccy is worth a try. Thanks for the swell reviews, fellas! :)

Just an update ... I've since smoked a few more bowls of this in a few different pipes and I am really liking this stuff. It's definitely going to stay in my rotation. :love:

Just an update ... I've since smoked a few more bowls of this in a few different pipes and I am really liking this stuff. It's definitely going to stay in my rotation.

glad to hear it!