• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Martial Arts

I agree 100% with Infinity.

Any of the traditional martial arts will instill strong positive values and will help him build confidence in himself as well as make him physically strong. I would say that one of the traditional arts is great base, and that lead instructor is the person you really want to watch and take a serious look at while you shop around. My advice is to find several styles and schools in you're area, and go watch some classes, see how that lead instructor teaches the young students, he is the one who sets the tone at that place. You will find one that really stands out and you will think, That is the person I want my little man to learn from.

I have taken Judo, Taekwondo, and Aikido at traditionally structured schools and each was a good experience. I have also trained in with friends who were practicing kempo, jujutisu and boxing. Any style is good to know, and some are better than others in real world situations.

Now that I am older and am in a different place, Haganah is the only interest I have. It really fits my needs, and is very to the point.

Mike

I feel that young children shouldn't learn joint manipulations until they are older. I would ask the MMA instructor about that, and if he agrees, then I wouldn't have any problems with my kids in an MMA school.

For self-defense, I think MMA is about the best you can get. It was born out of trial and error. They take what actually works and throw out everything that doesn't.

Traditional martial arts can be fun and rewarding as well. I studied Kung Fu for about 4 years and loved it.

I'm sure I'll get hammered for this but here's my .02
MMA is the new cool and hot thing right now. Unfortunately what people don't realize is that it's fun and cool to do ground work but on the street in SD mode you don't want to be on the ground period. You need a good rounded knowledge of fighting yes, but MMA is all about "ground and pound" right now. That's awesome until the guys buddy (yes I've seen this at a local bar happen, not a urban myth) comes from behind and takes you off of him in whatever fashion he desires.
Make sure he learns stand up first and transitions to the ground followed up with, get your a*& up and stand asap.
Again just the .02 of a newb here.

I know karate...and 7 other Japanese words.

...sorry, couldn't resist being a 5th grader again. :)

All Martial Arts are good, no matter what style. Martial arts is not about how good you are. It is not about ego, it's not about fighting, it's about inner peace. It will make you a better person.

Brian

Thanks #1.... that about sums it up right there. I think it's this more than the knowledge of techniques and skills that allows one to not have to use what they've learned.

All Martial Arts are good, no matter what style. Martial arts is not about how good you are. It is not about ego, it's not about fighting, it's about inner peace. It will make you a better person.

Brian

Thanks #1.... that about sums it up right there. I think it's this more than the knowledge of techniques and skills that allows one to not have to use what they've learned.
Exactly...well said, we do Martial Arts so we don't have to fight.

Brian