• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

mason jar

jepe

Hello.

I just purchased some Tobacco:

Dunhill NIGHTCAP 50g

McClelland FROG MORTON ON THE TOWN 100g

G.L. Pease MALTESE FALCON 2oz

McClelland CHRISTMAS CHEER 2008 100g

In order to keep them in good shape
I just put them in mason jar as they are?
I mean, all of them together ?

First off, welcome to the Pipe Room! Glad you could join us!

Have you opened all of the tins? If so, you may be better off just putting the cover back on the tins and sealing them in heavy plastic bags. If you plan to smoke them within a month or so that would be your best bet.

If you plan to keep them longer, then you could benefit from storing the loose tobacco in mason jars. Empty the contents from each tin into their own mason jar and seal the top. Do not mix any of them together (I'm not sure if that is what you were implying, but definitely do not do that!). All of those tobaccos listed should benefit from aging.

Here is a good link to check out if you are curious about tobacco storage.

Tobacco Storage

-Adam

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am planning on keep them for along time.
I didn't know I'm supposed to empty the contents
from each tin into their own mason jar.
I thought I just put them all toghether in one
jar with their tins. ???

Thanks a lot.

Unless you are bleding your own, just keep them in their tins. If you're aging them, then open each tin and place it in it's own mason jar. I usually heat the jar w/ the tobacco in it, in the microwave for 15 seconds. Then put the lid on, push the pop up thing down and it's air tight.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am planning on keep them for along time.
I didn't know I'm supposed to empty the contents
from each tin into their own mason jar.
I thought I just put them all toghether in one
jar with their tins. ???

Thanks a lot.

Yeah, you really only need to empty the contents of the tins if you plan to store/age the tobacco for a long period of time. If you are looking for short term storage, a heavy zip lock style bag should keep them fairly fresh for a month or so.

As long as the tins remain factory sealed, you don't have to do anything with them. Once you crack that seal, you need to take care of the tobacco.

Once opened, you can leave them in the tins for about a month or maybe a little longer (depends how dry you like your tobacco), put the tins into bags that will extend that time by a few months, empty them into jars for long term storage, or just let them dry out completely and become garbage ;) .

Sorry I dont mean to jack this. As I was ready this I got to thinking. I bought some mason jars and have put some tobacco in them. They are the ones that have the flat seal to go on top and then you screw the ring over top of it. That is all you do right? Nothing else has to be done correct?

Sorry I dont mean to jack this. As I was ready this I got to thinking. I bought some mason jars and have put some tobacco in them. They are the ones that have the flat seal to go on top and then you screw the ring over top of it. That is all you do right? Nothing else has to be done correct?

That's all I've ever done. Some people seal them with wax or even heat seal them, but I haven't found that to be necessary. The seals are VERY tight.

Thats all I have ever done with any of my pouch or "open" tobacco.

I heard in really long term storage like multiple years people seal the top of the jars with wax to help keep an air tight seal.

Back the the original posters question, the only way I could see you need mason jars is if you dont smoke your tobacco on a regular basis. I mean if you only smoke a bowl or two from time to time and the tobacco is going to last you acouple months I would put them in mason jars. But until you open them or you are smoking the tobacco enough you dont need to worry about them drying out.

One little note - The reason they sell new lids is because you're not suppoed to re-use them. Now this is just for long(years) term storage. The lids are usually sold next to the jars and pectin, etc.