• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mass storage inside large humidors?

les017

Hey all - I have a new Montegue end table humidor. Claimed to hold 1500 sticks, but hey, whatever. This thing is great and hold it's envirenment VERY well. It has an upper drawer, which I use for daily and sampling. But underneath are 3 shelves for boxes. Problem is, and this is the one thing where this humidor fell short, is that none of the shelves have drawer sliders. Since its 28" deep this is a slight issue when dealing with loosening bundles and 5 packs. Esecially since this is the bottom of an end table and therefore right on the floor.
Now I have a plan to solve or at least alleviate this problem...using little storage bins, which would store bundles and groups of 5'ers of the same sticks. But I am concerned about what kind of container would be safe to use.

1) I have found some mesh desk organizer baskets that could work but they are a little pricey each. But since they are mesh i would have plenty of breathing.

2) Then there's the Sterilite mini-tubs (about 5x12" x 5" high). Seems these could work since i am coming from a Sterilite-dor. But in that the cigars were not actually resting on the tub. Would the cigars absorb a plastic flavor or maybe even possibly want to mold in the bottom of a plastic tub?

Would either of these be acceptable, especially in regards to long-term storage. I certainly don't want to pick up any flavoring or run a severe risk of molding in the little tubs.

My last option is to make some spanish cedar boxes/crates that will fit the bill. And then this would allow me to make the sizes that would work the best for this humi.

I guess another option would be to employ used cigar boxes (and I probably will to some extent) but I would like to utilize the vertical space between shelves as much as possible. Many cigar boxes seem to hover at 2" tall while i would prefer my contaners to be 4"-5" tall. The gap between shelves is 5 1/2".

any help y'all, any help........

thanks and happy new year!!

Hey Les,

I was thinking of getting the same humi, and was/am going to do it so i can age some boxes. For those 5vers, I was going to use cigar boxes. I did see a picture of someone's humi the other day and they were using plastic baskets, looked really efficient and cheap.

Ken

To maximize space you can re-tie the bundles with some ribbon you have from empty cabs or just buy some yellow ribbon and tie the cigars together to maximize space.

"2) Then there's the Sterilite mini-tubs (about 5x12" x 5" high). Seems these could work since i am coming from a Sterilite-dor. But in that the cigars were not actually resting on the tub. Would the cigars absorb a plastic flavor or maybe even possibly want to mold in the bottom of a plastic tub?"

If you notice the picture of my humidor I have those Sterilite tubs and have been using them for cigar storage for five years and no problems. Yes you can buy the cedar trays and I do have those but the Sterilite can't be beat price wise. That will leave you more money to buy boxes of cigars to fill up the bottom section.

......I guess another option would be to employ used cigar boxes (and I probably will to some extent) but I would like to utilize the vertical space between shelves as much as possible. Many cigar boxes seem to hover at 2" tall while i would prefer my contaners to be 4"-5" tall. The gap between shelves is 5 1/2".

any help y'all, any help........thanks and happy new year!!
I think this is probably your best option. IMHO you do NOT want to "eliminate" any air space between shelves. I think that would slow down the natural convection that helps equalize the humidity in the humidor. I have bought nice cedar cigar boxes from my local B&M for a couple of bucks and with some "cigar box tetris" you should be able to utilize the space in your humidor very effectively.

Good luck - B.B.S.

snip...plastic baskets, looked really efficient and cheap.
Yep, that's what I use in the Coolidor. $1 for a pair at the Dollar Store. Not as pretty as the wood ones, but they work.

snip...plastic baskets, looked really efficient and cheap.
Yep, that's what I use in the Coolidor. $1 for a pair at the Dollar Store. Not as pretty as the wood ones, but they work.

thanks all - i appreciate the feedback. I DID think of usig ribbon to tie bundles but I think that would leave them too susceptible to damage....rooting around and all.
Since it sounds like non of my orignal options are BAD then i will probably just go with what works and not worry about it, although i will likely gather some sp cedar thin lumber and make a few breathing, slatted crates as I go.

Evan