• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

maximum humidy

Nrotik

What is the maximum humidy you can have in a humidor before mold starts to grow.

I think you mena minimum, because the maximum is of course 100%.

Others will know for sure, but I think mold has been seen at 80% before. I just remember seeing that number before.

But why worry, as cigars won't smoke right above 70.

Just having a problem with the humidity rising to around 72% to 73% depending on the temperature in the house....I have the 65% beads and they don't seem to be absorbing the moisture...trying to keep the humidor at 70 but sometimes its tough with the outside tempertaure being lower than 70 but the house staying at 75....

How clear are your beads? You may want to try drying them out a bit with a hair dryer. Also did you test your hygrometer to be sure it is acurate?

Nrotik,

You may want to consider drying you beads out if they are not absorbing any moisture. I dry my beads out by placing over the heater register of my furnace for a awhile and they are back to all white. You also may not have enought beads to control the amount of space you are trying to control the humidity on. The bead work great don't give up on them yet. Good luck!

I have a 100ct humi....I have one small tube of the beads on top...and one large tube on the bottom....in both tubes pretty much all of the beads are white..my digital was tested one week ago and is plus 1...

How many cigars do you currently have in the humi? the beadsd should really straighten this right out. Also how long has the humi been set up?

have bout 70...the humi has been set up for a week....it has always been hangin around 70%, never close to 65%...how long should the beads take to work?

Should not take that long at all mine normally react fairly quickly when I add water to them. should not take more than a couple days. Out of couriosity are the smokesnew or have you had them awhile? I have noticed some brands and stores ship rather moist so if they are new they might just be throwing off a lot of extra humidity.

It is possible then that the smokes are just wetmany manufacturers ship cigars at higher humidity to make sure they reach their destination OK. You could try to leave the humi open for a couple hours and then (this is the hard part) close it and leave it closed for a at LEAST 24 hours. Let the humi do its job and let the beads gather up the excess. Getting a humi started is a real pain in the bottom. Also while you have the box open run a hair dryer on your bead tubes to dry out any extra. The biggest thing is to just be paitient and let the beads and wood do their work. Once the cigars start breathing and the beads start working it will be fine. When I first started my humi it took weeks for me to get it right.

I just don't want to ruin my cigars before I get a chance to enjoy them..

Nrotik said:
I have a 100ct humi....I have one small tube of the beads on top...and one large tube on the bottom....in both tubes pretty much all of the beads are white..my digital was tested one week ago and is plus 1...
[snapback]229733[/snapback]​

Did you buy after I switched to the new tubes, holes all aroung the tube?

I think if the humidity is staying below 75%, you're OK following Aaron's advise of drying the stuff out then leaving the humi closed for an extended period.

Humidor maintenance is a black art, it takes a while to get the hang of it.

It's true that many places store and ship their sticks on the wet side.

Make sure each cigar has access to the overall air in the humidor (dont' leave them sealed in the ziploc bags if they cam in one) and be patient.