• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MDO Plywwod Humidor

Ellman

I want to build a humidor, not for display but more for storage. Has anyone use MDO(medium desity overlay) plywood for a base. then maybe line it with spanish cedar. I reason is I.m looking at about 8 to 12 cubic foot box and coolers that size are priced to high. as long as i seal it it should hold humidity well i think. any ideas.

A lot of the cheap humidors are made from MDF, then lined with cedar, a cheesy plastic is placed over it.

Emo

If you can get it to hold humidity, it will work. :)

you oughta try styrofoam coolers. That is what I use. They are cheaper, and work just as good, if not better.

Actually, for that size of storage, I wouldn't use coolers, but I might put the Ply Box together, seal the joints with odor free silicone and then line the inside with 1/2" styrofoam before I put in my cedar lining. The foam will help regulate the temp and the cedar lining will help stabilize the RH. But for something that large, you are going to spend a pretty good penny for the cedar.

However, a 150 qt cooler is not too bad, and that is 5 cubes, so 2 coolers is 10 and you don't have to lay out so for cedar lining, just use empty gar boxes. The $ saved will pay for the coolers. IMHO

What About A plywwod box with cedar boxes in it, do I have to line it?

LOL, hesitant to say this with my limited knowledge. But I dont think it would hurt a bit to rely on a number of boxes to do the job.

Ellman said:
What About A plywwod box with cedar boxes in it, do I have to line it?
If you are just storing boxes of cigars I guess it would work. But the plywood is going to soak up a **** load of water! ??? I would just get a 150qt cooler and use it coffin style! You will be amazed at how many boxes you can fit in those suckers!

As pointed out, the plywood will soak up lots of humidity and may cause bowing. Lining with ceder will regulate this and also make a stronger box if the grains are crossed. Getting a good seal on your door will be the hardest part. I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature, do you think the storage in Dominica, Hondorus etc , the boat these come over on or the truck that delivers them is temperature controlled?

An alternative would be to get an old fridge and convert it. I looked into this pretty seriously before the wife and I found a cabinet humidor that fit the decor. Twice a year they pick up old washers, fridges etc so I could get one for free. Pull the compressor, the cooling fins and all that. Screw in 1/4" ceder ply inside and you'll have room for 80+ boxes in a standard size fridge. Just a thought.