• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Media Center Extenders (windows 7 media center extenders)?

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
Anyone have any experience with Windows Media Center Extenders?

The short version of a long question: I built my mom a Windows 7 media center HTPC, which she LOVES. Filled with movies, remote access from my house so I can tech support issues, etc... Now she want's to be able to watch the STORED MOVIES (mostly .MKV format) from the htpc in her bedroom... And I'd like to do it without building another media center... I've seen a few media streamers, but I don't know too much about them... and the most important part is I need this GRANDMA friendly... Pictures (thumbnails) are pretty much a MUST. (movie posters, etc)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Well, I do this, but I don't use an extender. I just picked up an inexpensive laptop that has the things I needed - wireless 'N', HDMI output, decent video, and so on. We got an Alienware M11x 12" netbook for under $300, and it has more than enough umph to do it all. Then I use MyMovies on my HTPC downstairs, and have the laptop log into MyMovies as a client (I use a dual band router and stream BluRay movies no problem) and browse my collection, and play them. And trust me, if my wife can run it... it's easy. She's not a whiz on 'puter by any stretch of the imagination! (Sad but true...)

if that's a route you may consider, check out MyMovies - it is free, but you get more features with 'donations'. I've found those are features I don't need...

works great for us, but it's not exactly what you are looking for. Nice feature is that the netbook becomes my wife's laptop when I take mine to work, and she's more prone to using it since it's smaller and actually able to be used as a laptop! (mine is a 17", heavy, no battery life gaming laptop)

You could get a refurb Xbox and wireless for about $200 it has windows media player that will link up with the computer. It sets up fairly easily and streams very well if you have good wireless signal.

You should be able to just use Windows Media player, or other players, to browse out to the main HTPC where the files reside.