• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memorial Day Pre-1971

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
I've posted this every Memorial Day since I've been here. I trust it hasn't gotten old for some of you fellas.

Before 1971, Memorial day was not the holiday we celebrate today. It was not a three day weekend. It was not the beginning of the picnic season, nor was it start of the tourist season. It was a time to commemorate our war dead. I’d like to share with you all what Memorial day was like for a boy growing up in rural Vermont in the 50’s and 60’s

My grandmother was a Gold Star Mother, so our preparations started about 2 weeks before the 30th . My Uncle, 1st Recon battalion 1st Cav. Was killed at Kasserine Pass, North Africa in 1942. My Dad was with the 1st Infantry Div. 32nd field Artillery. How he survived, I’ll never understand. My grandfather was a WWI vet, who left the safety of the US in 1914 to serve in the Italian army. Anyway , we started our annual obligation by having the florist prepare two large urns with geraniums. Later we would haul them to the cemetery, place them on either side of my uncle’s grave stone, and finally plant a new Flag provided by the VFW.

I was also busy. I was a member of the VFW cadet corps drill team, and we practiced nearly every night the silent drill that we would perform in front of the reviewing stand at our annual Memorial day parade. We spent what other free time we had selling Buddy Poppies made by disabled Vets. I enjoyed this activity. It allowed us kids the opportunity to meet all the Veterans in town and listen to their war stories. We also would spend the Saturday before the holiday planting flags on those veterans graves who no longer had family in town.

Finally, the day would arrive. We would form at the northern end of Main St., every one nervous that they would fall out of step, or worse, drop their rifle in front of the reviewing stand. We had an old retired WWI Marine Gunnery Sgt. as our instructor and he would always make sure we were formed in front of the National Guard band , so we could hear the bass drum, and stay in step.

At 10am sharp the parade would begin. We would march down the length of Main St. under the century maples, planted in 1876 to commemorate the 100th birthday of the US. When we reached the reviewing stand, populated with various distinguished personages we performed our 15 minutes of silent drill, usually without a hitch, and then proceed to the court house park, where the monuments for the Civil War, WWI, WWII and Korea were. Here wreaths of red, white and blues carnations were laid with much pomp and circumstance, while we stood at attention, often in the heat of the noon day sun. Gunny Flint had trained us well, and not ever did a boy faint in formation. He had taught us to wiggle our toes and rock back and forth from heal to toe, imperceptibly, to keep the blood flowing and keep us from hitting the pavement. Earlier that morning a contingent of Navy , Coast Guard, and Merchant Marine vets placed wreaths in the Passumsic river for those lost or buried at sea.

After about an hour of speeches, all while standing at parade rest, the parade would leave the park, wind down Eastern Ave., up Maple St. and end, much to our relief, at the American Legion Post where the drinking , eating , horseshoe pitching and softball games would entertain us for the rest of the day.

Doc.

Thanks for sharing Doc.

I didn't read this last yer, but I can't see anyone getting tired of reading this story.

I read it every year, thanks Doc. Times were definitely different, but it seems much more appreciated back then.

It is indeed a day to celebrate the lives and acccomplishments of our fallen brothers.

They should never be forgotten.

My first time reading this, so thanks so much for repeating.

I'm probably younger than you, but I too remember when it was referred to as the 30th of May -- or Decoration Day by some of the old folks, a reference to the practice of visiting cemeteries and decorating graves of the remembered fallen. Where I grew up in Pennsylvania, the bouquets often included homegrown peonies, which usually bloomed just in time for the holiday.

I, too, remember the town parade, which I marched in when old enough. We all then walked to Memorial Park for a wreath-laying and speeches by older veterans, the mayor and more patriotic music. It was hokey and amateurish and uncool -- and I miss it very much. These days, I try to get to the Vietnam Memorial or to Arlington. But I wouldn't trade the memories.

Thanks, Doc for posting this and for reminding us of the truth of what the Memorial Day holiday is all about

Pre 1971 I was a pre-teenager and sadly, ignorant of the extent of the sacrifices made by our veterans. I knew I had a cousin killed in Vietnam but I was only 7 years old when he died in 1968 and at that age death in a distant land was a concept not fully understood.

My uncle was a B17 gunner in WWII and somehow survived. Again, we knew this but never grasped the reality of what he endured in the skies over Europe.

We had an older gentleman that lived up the street from us that we knew was a WWI veteran. He was horribly disfigured and we kids were afraid of him because of that disfigurement. When he talked it was in a very coarse almost unintelligible voice that further lent itself to the fear we had of him. We were simply afraid because of his outward appearance. I do remember though, that he always walked with his head held high and with a purposeful step.

It was not until later in my life that I came to understand the realities of war and I wish I could go back and talk to the man up the street and thank him for his sacrifice. I found out through our town historical society that his disfigurement was due to having been severely burned over most of his body while fighting in Europe.

Both his ears were burned off leaving only holes in the sides of his head. All his hair was gone and he was missing several fingers. His nose was mostly gone and his mouth was a mass of scar tissue where his lips had been. His voice was the way it was because as he burned in the trench he was screaming and had inhaled the flames into his throat and lungs, permanently scarring them. How he survived such injuries can only attest to his spirit and courage.

Memorial Day to me as an adult, is a way to honor men like my childhood neighbor who left home one day to fight for his country and returned a fragment of the physical man he was before and he did it for me, he did it for us and I never got a chance to thank him and shake his hand.

It is a vision of my uncle as he crouched in the ball turret of a B17 over Memmigen, Germany on July 18th 1944 and watched as 14 of the 26 aircraft in his formation were destroyed around him. He did it for me, he did it for us. Fortunately I did have the opportunity to thank him.

It is a vision of my cousin, LCpl William D. Frantz, USMC lifting off a hilltop in a medivac helicopter on October 17, 1968 in the Con Tien province, Republic of Vietnam and being shot down by a enemy fire. He did it for me, he did it for us and I had never even met him.

It is a vision of family friend, 21 yr old Cpl Ian Stewart, USMC entering a house in the Al Anbar province of Iraq on December 12, 2004 and being killed by an insurgent hiding on a stairwell. He did it for me, he did it for us and he, along with far far too many others like him were much too young when they gave that last measure of themselves in the cause of freedom.

May we not forget them this Memorial Day and more importantly, let us not forget them on any day because to forget is to insult their sacrifice. Freedom is not free, it is paid for by the blood of heroes who come from all walks of life and join in a common effort to make our world a better place.

May they Rest in Peace knowing they are not forgotten.

Danny

Doc, thanks for the story. I read it last year too.
Danny, thanks as well. Both are a great read for the younger generations.
Even though Memorial Day isn't celebrated in Canada (at least not in May) it's good to kmow the real meaning behind certain holidays.

Thanks for the story and reminding us young guys the dedication And sacrifice the true heros of this country have made.