• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memory foam mattress topper or feather bed mattress topper?

Memory foam mattress topper or feather bed mattress topper?

• Feather Bed mattress topper (duck down top half, feathers bottom half)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2" - 3lb Density memory foam mattress topper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I can't stand that new fangled memory foam stuff. :laugh:

I know this doesn't answer your question nor did you ask for my advice, but I'm going to give it to you anyway. :p About a year ago my wife and I went with the feather bed (fiber bed actually, I'm allergic to goose down) as we were both experiencing a horrible nights sleep on our 15 year old mattress. Altough it felt very comfortable at first, much the way napping in a big pile of pillows might, it's no long term soultion. It quickly conformed to the worn parts of the bed and the material inside became uneven. Finally a couple of weeks ago we went out and bought a new mattress, which almost brought me to tears thinking about what else I could have spent that much money on. After using it for a week it has been the best purchase I have made this year. :thumbs: I am waking up fully rested and haven't experienced any back pain since. I don't know if it's a product of a better night's sleep, but I have also had dreams every night that I have full recollection of when I wake up.

So my suggestion, go out and buy a new mattress and take your time doing it. Test every one in the store more than once and try not to let brands or specials influence you. Try to avoid looking at the price if at all possibly and just pick out the right one for you.

i agree with casa, if your matteress is shot, the foam will only conform to the bad foundation below. save your $$$ and grab a new mattress, it is a better long term solution.

Casa & Rob K have it right on IMHO.

I've heard some bad shit on the foam (and some good as well as with Brick) but have experienced the bad with the down (both natural & man-made).

We also went shopping last year and bought a new box spring & mattress and it was well wort the cash.

i was in the same decision delema youre in right now about a year ago and i chose the feather top and hated it. the store i bought the memory foam from said hed give me a 90 trial. it was the best purchase ive made. to get use to it, my wife put a thin feather top on top of the foam while we broke it in. its been about 6 months and its awesome.

First, get a good mattress. $1,000 for a queen is about the going rate.

A feather topper will compress. As will sheepskin.

I've slept on 1.5" mem-foam topper on top of a really bad, terrible mattress and it made it bearable. Did not notice a heat buildup problem.

Best of both worlds: Pillowtop mattress and foundation with a 2" foam pad.

Wilkey

The wife and I went through this about two years ago. She wanted to save money and bought a no name brand memory foam bed, took about three nights before i couldn't get out of bed my back hurt so bad. We went with the 10 inch tempur pedic bed and once again it hurt our backs. However when the guys came to pick up our bed they said they had a lot of returns on the ten inch. We eventually found out the thicker the bed the softer is it is. So we went witht the 8 inch and have loved it for two years. Also many hotels provide tempur pedic beds in their rooms. It might be a good idea to spend the night in one to try it out. Thats how I fond out about em.

Wife and I have a memory foam and we realized that we honestly didn't know what "sleep" was until our first night on it. Its amazing and has done a good job holding up over the past year and half.

Wife and I have a memory foam and we realized that we honestly didn't know what "sleep" was until our first night on it. Its amazing and has done a good job holding up over the past year and half.

Not sure advertising another site in your sig is a good idea, but it isn't up to me, I guess.

On topic:

We went through the same thing about 6 months ago. I have a very bad back and the feather bed made it worse. The foam topper made it worse. The only solution was to not try to stretch our mattress past it's useable life and bite the bullet on a new one. Like has been said, try them all and pick the one you like and try to get a trial run (most places will give you 60 days or so around here).

Well before reading all of your opinions, I went out and bought a feather topper before work today. Has a 30day trial. If I don't like it, I'll return it and try the costco memory foam. If they all don't work, I guess I'll go with a new mattress.

I've heard really good things about memory foam. Of course there's a lot of cheap memory foam that is really uncomfortable so pick carefully and spend the extra if you want quality.

Wife and I have pillow top and like it, if had to do over it would be memory foam.

We have used a 2" memory foam topper for about two years and it is great.

See deal below if anyone is interested...

Description: Overstock has a 1-inch memory foam mattress topper + two foam pillow bundle on sale for $49.99. Use the 12% off coupon to bring your order down to $43.

They also have a 2-inch one for $60 after coupon, a 3-inch for $105 after coupon, and a 4-inch for $132 after coupon.

Linky

i agree with casa, if your matteress is shot, the foam will only conform to the bad foundation below. save your $$$ and grab a new mattress, it is a better long term solution.

I have to agree with these fellows. I put the 2 inch memory foam on my bed, cause my mattress was geting old. Worked for about 6 months, but then started getting back to the problems of the underlying foundation (mattress). Also, the foam overlays tend to slide down your mattress as time goes by, so every week or two, you will find yourself re-adjusting it back to the head of the bed. I tried the non-slip material between the mattress and the topper, the topper just rolls the non-stick strips up into wrinlked masses!

Kind of like a house: If the foundation is bad, everything you put on top of it will be bad.

Good luck, which ever way you go. If you do decide on a topper, the foam will survive the underlying problems longer than the feather/down tick will.

Do yourself a favor and return the feathers now.

As has already been said, if your mattress/box springs are shot to hell you're wasting your money purchasing a topper. Purchase a good firm mattress and top it with 2-3inches of memory foam and you'll be good to go.

Someone mentioned heat retention in the memory foam. Yes, the memory foam is a very good insulator and your body heat will be transfered to the foam to some extent. How much depends on room temperture, your own body, and how much cover you use when sleeping. Do like I do and sleep butt naked with no covers. (hehe.... try to erase that mental picture..go ahead, just try)