• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memphis Style Ribs

harkenkc

I live in Kansas and of course Kansas City has some great BBQ. I use to live in Arkansas and went to Memphis on long weekends. I fell in love with the no sauce rub they use on the ribs. Does anyone have any good info on what kind of seasoning are commonly used in a Memphis Rub?

Tim

Magic Dust (see: Peace, Love and BBQ by Mike Mills) tastes good on anything.

IMG_8238.jpg

10 miles away and he doesn't invite me :(

Here's Steven Raichlen's recipe

Memphis Dry Rub Ribs

* SERVINGS: 2-4

Ingredients

1. 2 racks baby back ribs (about 4 pounds)
* For the rub:
1. 2 tablespoons paprika
2. 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
3. 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5. 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
6. 1 teaspoon garlic powder
7. 1 teaspoon dry mustard
8. 1 teaspoon cumin
9. 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* For the mop sauce (optional):
1. 2 cups distilled white vinegar
2. 1/2 cup water
3. 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
4. 1 tablespoon salt
1. 2 cups hickory chips or chunks, soaked in cold water

1. Wash the ribs and blot dry. Remove the thin papery skin on the back of each rack of ribs. (Pull it off in a sheet with your fingers, using a corner of a dish towel to gain a secure grip.)
2. Combine the ingredients for the rub in mixing bowl and stir with your fingers to mix. Rub 2/3 of this mixture on the ribs on both sides. Transfer the ribs to a roasting pan and let marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the mop sauce.
4. Place the ribs on the grill over the drip pan and cover the grill. Start basting with mop sauce after 30 minutes, basting every 20 minutes. Cook the ribs for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours until done. The ribs are done when the meat is very tender and it has shrunk back from the ends of the bones. If using a charcoal grill, replenish the coals after 1 hour.
5. Transfer the ribs to a cutting board or platter. Mop one final time with mop sauce and sprinkle with the remaining rub. Serve with your favorite barbecue sauce on the side

Ray, I've got nothin' but love for you. Those ribs and the brisket underneath were for an afternoon with the family. I definitely will invite you when I have the guys over during a Ravens away game this season.

I'll take you up on that Rob but I need about 3 weeks notice so I can clear my schedule (and my wife's schedule for me :p )

Ray, thanks for the recipe! I've been looking for a good dry rub myself. Raichlen is a BBQ god, don't think you can go wrong with one of his recipes.

Magic Dust (see: Peace, Love and BBQ by Mike Mills) tastes good on anything.
Those ribs look sooo good. :love: I'll have to be on the lookout for that book....

I live in Kansas and of course Kansas City has some great BBQ. I use to live in Arkansas and went to Memphis on long weekends. I fell in love with the no sauce rub they use on the ribs. Does anyone have any good info on what kind of seasoning are commonly used in a Memphis Rub?

Tim
You need to pack your stuff up and move away from KC immediately. Your BBQ access has been revoked, and you are no longer welcome here. Enjoy Memphis (or better yet just move to St. Louis you damn dirty traitor.) :angry:

:laugh:

Those look fantastic. I just modified my WSM 18 1/2 and now I could cook 12 racks of ribs at the same time :whistling:

This was the wrong thread to read on a morning I didn't have time to grab breakfast!! I love the dry rub, Saucy ribs are great, but the dry rub are fantastic!