• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mexican cigars?

I'll watch for the Cruz Real's when down there (if I do get some do you want a few?)? I'm bringing a couple of travel humidors with me (about 30 cigars total between the two to return with).

Sounds like LCDH is really the only option.

Not sure you will find them in Mexico. I think Famous Smoke shop is making Cruz Real now in Nicaragua or somewhere so I don't even know if the Mexican brand exists any longer. The ones I had were a number of years ago, thanks for the offer though.

Well, I made it to Mexico City and of course, let my laptop adapter in the US! Battery for the laptop had about 20 minutes left. Not good for an addicted internet geek! <insert wide-eyed look here>

I managed to find some cigars at a local Sanborn's (kinda like a fancy Target or Wal-Mart?!?) but they are all (save for one) Cuban! Go figure. Eh. Maybe when I go into the city itself on Saturday -- at least planning to -- I'll find one of the cigar shops suggested here and see what they have that I can't usually find elsewhere (I'm in an semi-outlying area called Sante Fe, Mexico DF) I can find some pure Mexican cigars. :) This aught to be fun. Whee!

Although it was recommended to not do the Te-Amo, I decided to give it a go. I found on that's encased in a "humidibag" (never seen that before). I figured what the hay, eh? :)

Well, I go back today. Here's what I found:

- Te-Amo Plantinum (Mexico): wasn't that great and there was a lingering bitterness. (6/10)

- H. Upmann (Habana, Cuba): again, a bit of bitterness and it burned fast. It may have been because of me walking but otherwise, wasn't too impressed. (6/10)

- Te-Amo Vintage 99 (Mexico) a nicer cigar with a nice mild flavour (7.5/10)

- Lieb F100 Purito (Mexico): this is a nice little cigar that was good from start to finish, even in a wind. (8.5/10)

- Capricho Cubano Special (Cuba): the wrapper was almost black while the filler very natural and the flavour very full. Too bad it was Cuban (8/10)

- Cohiba (Habana, Cuba): a very nice mild cigar that had a smooth flavour (almost nutty) from start to finish. Again, too bad it is Cuban (9/10)

- Habana 1959 Premium (Cuba): horrible. Very bitter and burned hot right from the start. I didn't even finish it half-way (5/10 -- if that)

- Santa Clara Special Edition (Mexico): Very nice once I got it started. Mild with a bit of a cedar flavour in it. Burned well even in the wind (9/10)

I also found that the Lieb matches are great. They are a nice cedar stick with a near quick light and burns ok in a wind (not a hurricane or whatever).

So that was Mexico. I am coming back with some Lieb coronas and puritos as well as a few other ones (Davidoffs, Zinos, Santa Clara, Andreas, etc.) All-in-all it was fun. Thanks again to everyone who put in their opinions and experiences. :)