• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mexican resort cigars.

maduro89

Straight Razors and Whisky
What are y'all's opinions on cigars purchased from on-site cigar rollers that are usually at resorts? I asked my parents for a box of cigars when they went to Mexico and I specifically told them not to get Cubans because they'd most certainly be fake. Apparently, the man they purchased these cigars from had just rolled them the week before so needless to say I had to age them before smoking. It was a nice gesture from my parents though, they're not huge fans of my cigar smoking. These cigars are called "Caballeros" and they do smell pretty rich. Can't wait to taste them. It's been about a year since I've received them and I'm thinking about smoking one tonight. What are y'all's experiences with Mexican resort cigars? Edited for grammatical errors. FB_IMG_1496930335871.jpg

Well I'd say you did right by saying not to get you any Cubans. They surely would have been fake, and your parents would have paid too much...even for fake cigars.

As for what you got....I'd say they are interesting. Hell, why not? At least if they are Mexico cigars they are authentic. I obviously don't know if they'll be tasty or not, but you've got a story to go with them and it was a nice gesture by your folks.

I'd say give them a go and enjoy.

I did the Te Amo tour in the state of Veracruz about 8 years back and those stogies were great, especially the few maduro they offered. Not custom rolled like these, but nothing wrong with Mexican tobacco- San Andres wrappers are some of my favorite.

They could be wonderful, they could be horrid dog s#!t. Only one way to tell. Resort hand rolls are a serious toss of the dice, to be sure. And, they'll change often as the roller gets more / different supplies of tobacco.

Mexican tobacco can be very good. San Andres Tobacco is well known. Smoke one and see what you think.

I'll do a pseudo review on this thread on one of these cigars tonight!

What Tom and Wyatt said!

Only thing I can add is to smoke one now. Sounds like you haven't. I often find a fresh roll to be amazing for the first month and then it goes downhill for who knows how long. Some of the freshies I've smoked were among the best.

What Tom and Wyatt said!

Only thing I can add is to smoke one now. Sounds like you haven't. I often find a fresh roll to be amazing for the first month and then it goes downhill for who knows how long. Some of the freshies I've smoked were among the best.

Very good advice.

My experience with fresh rolls is you have a few months....then they gotta sleep a year. So enjoy 1 or 2 now.

Very good advice.

My experience with fresh rolls is you have a few months....then they gotta sleep a year. So enjoy 1 or 2 now.
I swear when I read the OP a few days ago it didn't mention they were almost a year old. o_O

Sorry for the delay guys, had to review a bunch of cases for work. I smoked one at it was great! Very rich taste with hints of oak and chocolate. I'm glad my parents brought me these. They'll be exactly a year old next Sunday.