• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Michelob Amber Bock

SFG75

Master-passer
Went to the local legion last night to enjoy a great churchill while watching Nightline. Didn't know what to have with it, as the election was rather dim-Corona and the typical line of beers like Schlitz and Pabst-never knew that stuff was still in existence. Ordered a Michelob Amber Bock just to try it, and I have to say that dark lagers are more agreeable to me than ales. Does anyone have any suggestiosn for other dark lagers that might be good? I'm kind of a Guinness drinking guy, so I'm looking for stuff along those lines.

I love the Amber Bock but it is very hard to find around here

It's a very good beer. It's readily available here in most convenience stores.

:thumbs:

If you like Guiness then I'm sure you like Beamish and Murphy's Irish Stout.

I like the Amber Bock and being here in St. Louis it is widely distributed on tap at many local establishments. I have, however, grown to really like the stouts, particularly as AVB mentioned the Murphy's and Beamish which are not marketed around here as well as the Guiness.

If you can find some "altbier" that is also one of my favorite brown beers. Altbier is traditionally brewed around the Dusseldorf area in Germany, but some local brewers like Schalfly here in STL also make one. I'm not sure about the distribution of other altbier brands especially those from Germany, but now that I've posted this I am going to try and find out.

PS for a short description of the altbier...alt bier check here

Heard that Budweiser or Coors had an amber bock. Anyone know? ???

Michelob is an Anheuser Busch product so I guess you can say it's just a fancy Bud.

Ah....now you're talkin AVB......dark lagers......hmmmm......

budget - Yeungling Lager.....awesome, oldest brewery in America, or so they claim

Harp's - great dark Irish lager, best on tap if you find it, but bottles are good

Pete's Wicked Lager

Don't know if it's a lager, but I had a Lowenbrau Oktoberfest that was one of the highlites of Epcot....if you can find one of these.....yum

half full monty said:
Ah....now you're talkin AVB......dark lagers......hmmmm......

budget - Yeungling Lager.....awesome, oldest brewery in America, or so they claim

Harp's - great dark Irish lager, best on tap if you find it, but bottles are good

Pete's Wicked Lager

Don't know if it's a lager, but I had a Lowenbrau Oktoberfest that was one of the highlites of Epcot....if you can find one of these.....yum

It isn't my thread so I'm just contributing (I hope :) )

Yuengling is America's oldest brewery and almost a "local" beer for me. On sale all the time if you look. It really is a quality beer without a high price.

Harp's is made by Guinness and too much the same for me. YMMV
Pete's can be really good if really cold. I don't know why it seems to get a little bitter as it gets warmer, maybe that's just me. ???

Any Lowenbrau you buy in the US is really brewed by Miller, it's not even close to the real thing you find in Europe. They say it is the same formula but I don't see how.

Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, Augustiner and Paulaner are still authentic Oktoberfest beers that are imported into the US. Try any of those for the real deal.

ah....a typical newbie mistake....sorry AVB and SFG, I read the thread and responded to the last poster instead of the originator.....

anyhoo...yeah SFG75, what AVB said.
:p :0

Will be sure and check out Murphy's when I can. They have an impressive website, which you can find here. I don't remember seeing a lot of their advertisements when I was in Ireland back in 1999. Sounds like a great beer that I'll have to pick up in a nearby liquor store which also has an impressive collection of cigars.(i.e.-Onyx, Fuentes, Ashtons, La Unicas, among others) :) :) :D

Man I love the Amberbock....hmmm that local liquer store with cigars sounds like mine without the onyx and add Excaliburs and Hemingways

Mephiston said:
Man I love the Amberbock....hmmm that local liquer store with cigars sounds like mine without the onyx and add Excaliburs and Hemingways
Funny thing is, it took me more than a year to figure out they even had a cigar collection!. It's a liquor store across the street from the local university, so you would expect them to have things like swishers or King Edwards for the young punks, but to find Onyx and Fuente??? Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised, only found out through word of mouth from a cigar aficionado at a smoke shop that had a very limited collection of premiums. The cigars have been in great shape, I only select the ones that pass my "pinch" test and I put back the ones I might drop on accident. :D They have Excaliburs, but not hemingways as far as I could tell. I remember that they were big on the double chateau line. They also had La Unicas, Punch, La Aurora, and even Montecristos. :D