• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Middle of cigar-end has been getting too wet recently

SherlockeGerko

I've been smoking cigars for about 3 years (with a few long breaks in-between). Recently I started to enjoy the occasional cigar again but the problem is the end (where i draw) has been getti g increasingly wet in the middle (pic related is from like 1h ago where i started smoking, you can see how the middle is slightly darker than the outside).
I really don't knowvwhat i'm doing wrong and i would appreciate any help or advice
1000024010.jpg

Good old tar build up. Some smokes do, some don't and your storage and smoking RH has a lot to do with it. Normally, when smokes do this, a small slice off the end will clear the goop and allow you to continue. Anejo's were, at one time, really bad with this.

Might double check your hygros, make sure things are as you expect.

Thank you very much, kind sir!
Good old tar build up. Some smokes do, some don't and your storage and smoking RH has a lot to do with it. Normally, when smokes do this, a small slice off the end will clear the goop and allow you to continue. Anejo's were, at one time, really bad with this.

Tom, this tends to happen with high RH correct?

Tom, this tends to happen with high RH correct?
I think so. I know when there was an issue with Anejos years ago, it was when they were also dealing with bad mold problems due to being way over humidified. I've had it happen, out of the blue, with a smoke here and there; no real pattern. When it happens once in a while, I consider it the luck of the draw. Then again, I'm pretty careful with my storage. If I had a box and they were all gooping up, I'd be doing some more research.

I recall that God of Fire cigars, pretty much all of them, did this pretty badly when I was using a cigar punch instead of a cutter. As soon as I clipped them they'd stop it!

My humidor's at 68 RH now & I don't think I've had any cigars tar up on me since I switched to the lower RH beads.

~Boar

100% tar. Yuck. What cigars are these that you are having the issue with? All the same, or different ones?
Different ones actually. I don't have a humidor yet so the guy at the tobacco shop gives me this plastic bag that's supposed to keep em fresh for like 14 days. And when i smoke them they seem ok (not to dry/moist) but there's always this tar build up
Maybe i just need to get a humidor

Different ones actually. I don't have a humidor yet so the guy at the tobacco shop gives me this plastic bag that's supposed to keep em fresh for like 14 days. And when i smoke them they seem ok (not to dry/moist) but there's always this tar build up
Maybe i just need to get a humidor
That's probably your answer. Pay attention to what the humidity levels are in the humidor when you go in again. A lot of shops are notorious for over humidifying.

You want to let them rest and dry box for a good spell. A properly set up dry box will pull moisture out if too wet, but not drop below your desired level. 62% is my sweet spot. You'll notice they burn much better, and that you won't have to fiddle with them as much. In addition to no tar! 😉

I think @BBS is on to something. I remember when all those Fuente cigars had that issue. Now that I think about it, it did start when they used to put those humidity packs inside the box of cigars. It also stopped right around the time they stopped using them to take care of the mold issue they were having.

I'd try putting a couple in your desk drawer for a few days. Cut, not punch. See if that makes a difference.