• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Military Retirement

Barry, congrats on retirement. I’ve said about my retirement, all I did was keep the same job for 25 years. It took me at least a year to get used to the “magic money” that appeared on my bank account! May you have a long and enjoyable retirement!

Floyd T

Congrats! Was this your goal all along or did it change at some point?
I was hoping to do overseas RPA contracting, but that well has dried up in the last 6 months. Lousy timing to become a mercenary. Airlines are a really good Plan B though, and the pilot shortage is back hard now that we're recovering from COVID.

Quick update my CP bros!

Over a year out of the military, the transition has been good. I managed to bounce from the regional airline to a low cost carrier--one with cute animals on the tails of our A320s--by March without ever logging a minute on a regional jet. Crazy hiring going on in the airlines right now. Flying has been great so far!

Family and I also completed the move out of Vegas, settling in Georgia this past summer. We're in forever-home now, and thrilled to be setting down roots.

Fun travel nuggets:

-Driving cross country, we stayed a night in Tupelo. I didn't see any billboards with Bradley's face on them, unfortunately. Thinking he might be making it all up... but it was dark outside when we got there, so...

-While in Orlando on a trip, I had time to make my way East to Cigarz at Waterford to meet the legend himself, Izzy. Great shop, great conversation, great hospitality, great BOTL.

I'll try to make time to drop in here to CP more frequently.

Last edited:
Quick update my CP bros!

Over a year out of the military, the transition has been good. I managed to bounce from the regional airline to a low cost carrier--one with cute animals on the tails of our A320s--by March without ever logging a minute on a regional jet. Crazy hiring going on in the airlines right now. Flying has been great so far!

Family and I also completed the move out of Vegas, settling in Georgia last summer. We're in forever home now, and thrilled to be setting down roots.

Fun travel nuggets:

-Driving cross country, we stayed a night in Tupelo. I didn't see any billboards with Bradley's face on them, unfortunately. Thinking he might be making it all up... but it was dark outside when we got there, so...

-While in Orlando on a trip, I had time to make my way East to Cigarz at Waterford to meet the legend himself, Izzy. Great shop, great conversation, great hospitality, great BOTL.

And you didn't message me!?!?

Quick update my CP bros!

Family and I also completed the move out of Vegas, settling in Georgia last summer. We're in forever home now, and thrilled to be setting down roots.

Fun travel nuggets:

Great to hear that retirement is going well! Did you get into your GA house before the market went through the roof? That A320 is a great jet -- I much prefer those over the traditional Boeing counterpart. Congratulations on the airlines seat; I am pretty jealous, to be honest. :)

Good to hear that you got in! I've flown on those A320s from MYR to TTN . Maybe I'll see you on one of those flights.

And you didn't message me!?!?
I know, Bradley. I seriously considered it, but we got in really late and rolled really early.
Good to hear that you got in! I've flown on those A320s from MYR to TTN . Maybe I'll see you on one of those flights.
Funny you bring that up. Izzy and I talked at length about my airline's affinity for TTN. He had some visibility on it during a break from the cigar industry.

Well, I told you guys I'd post something later, so here we are. I know I haven't been tremendously active lately, but I've been going through a pretty major life transition.

I'm hanging 'em up after a 20 year Air Force career. Twenty-four if you count my time at that small technical school in Colorado Springs. Three airframes, 4600ish hours of flight time. Six deployments and over 5 years of deployed-in-place RPA operations. Hundreds of invaluable relationships with great people.

Please please please---do NOT thank me for my service. It's always made me feel uncomfortable, and I usually deflect it with a humorous, "no, thank YOU for paying your taxes!" Rather, please accept my thank you for allowing me to serve. It was an adventure. Sure the bureaucracy was maddening, but I've done things most kids only dream of doing when they grow up.

Over half my life. It's surreal, scary, and exciting all at the same time.

So the next chapter is coming in the next few months. I've accepted a conditional job offer with a major regional airline here in the US. My plan is to get recent in manned flying and quickly bounce to a major carrier. My family also wants to leave Las Vegas and relocate back to the Southeast, so we'll see.

You guys have been like family for the last 13 years. Among my greater regrets is not meeting up in person with Trey (Spad31) and Danno (MadMonk) when we had a great opportunity to do so. So in my new job, one where I'll be jetting around the country on the regular, I'm going to try to commit to smoking with as many of you as I can!

Thanks for reading, gents.
Congratulations on your retirement. It's a big milestone. I hope to see you flying for one of the big ones soon.