• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mixing different cigars

charrah

So today I just got a 5 pack assortment of San Cristobals. In my 50 cigar humidor I only have 1 divider and about 30 RYJ churchills. So now I want to throw these 5 in there but they're all different. When placing different cigars in the same humidor I know I need to keep the different ones in the cellophane but do I crack open the seal to at least let them breathe a little? I really don't know as I usually only stock 1 type of cigar at any given time.

You will be fine, as long as no infused type cigars (ex. Acid) are being mixed in with them.

Agree with these guys. There has been lengthy debate on cello... but for the most part, I keep them the way I bought them. If you're going to leave the cello on, no need to open up the end. Honestly, you aren't going to notice any difference unless you're mixing them with the Acids and stuff.

I have two 300-ct humidors and keep everything mixed up together in groups, been that way since 2006 and haven't had any bad experiences with flavors. Definitely do not want to mix in any of the flavored cigars as mentioned above. I also think leaving everything in the original packaging works fine- I have several Comacho Liberty coffins in my humidors w/cigars intact, haven't had any issues.

Marring of flavors of different cigars is not an issue unless they are intimate with one another for about 20 yrs or so. This, of course, does not include flavored or infused cigars.

Doc

To touch on this subject a little, I had a weird experience with my cigars and there placement. I had a half box of the EP connies and to make room I placed some other smokes in the box with them and tucked it away for a few months. When I opened the box the EP's had a complete different smell and the wrappers looked different and almost darker. The smoke was def different and not as smooth as I remembered them being. It could have been a number of factors, but since then I try to separate by shade etc.

I don't think this would be an issue at all TBH, and cello is made to breath, so I wouldn't worry about popping them open to "breathe," they are packaged in cello for a reason. I've dealt with sticks long enough to know that when I have new cigars or moving them around, I just "set it and forget it." Not much thought, IMHO. Cigars aren't meant to be stressed over, they relieve it not create it. ;)

I tend to just keep the lighter cigars with the lighter and the stronger range with the the same etc.

as far as cello i think others have more than touched on the subject, they sell them that way they are breathable.
and to be honest one cigar i did take off the cello and i regret doing so.

Personally I made the decision a while ago to go with four 50 ct humidors instead of one or two bigger ones. One for my cubans, one for darker wrappers, one for light wrappers, and one for my Makers Mark 650s because they are bourbon seasoned.

On the one hand I have 4 humidors to monitor but on the other hand I know that no flavors will mix, and if I have any issues (mold, etc.) the worst case scenario is losing 1/4 of my stash instead of all of it.

I tend to just keep the lighter cigars with the lighter and the stronger range with the the same etc.

Color has almost no bearing on strength or flavor profile, fyi. I've had some naturals that knocked my socks off because they were stuffed with top trimmings and I've had some maduros that were smooth and mild. I'm sure many here will echo this experience.

sorry i meant by strength, not color, lighter tasting is what i should of said.

I have one big humidor I use for most of my cigars and never run into any problems. I do enjoy sampling a variety of cigars including the Acids. I bought a small travel humidor to use for those special purchases. It comes in very handy when I go on the road, too.

I just added a small desktop humidor in my home office, too. So, I may start rotating the special buys to it and keeping the travel humidor just for travel purposes. You can pick up a small inexpensive humidor for under $50, which is a very small price to pay for extra assurance of not tainting cigar flavors.