• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MJ23 Cigar History

Smokemorestressless

Please jump in with other info/ history The story as I have been told goes like this:

In 2018 Michael Jordan had Alex roll him a custom cigar that was supposed to be only for MJ. Alex rolled a bunch at once, as rollers do. Alex only rolled them that one year, all within a couple months.

Ramze ended up with some of them, and he was selling them. This caused tension between Alex and Ramze, as they weren't supposed to be called MJ23, those were reserved for MJ. MJ was also frustrated with Alex, as they were supposed to be for MJ exclusively.

After that, the "MJ23" were rolled and sold by various people as the double lancero, but they were not the same original batch or blend of a true Alex rolled, original MJ23.

Never heard of the MJ, the MJ23, Alex, Ramze or Michael Jordan. Did I missing something recently?

I've smoked one and have another in the humi.
Pretty sure they are Alex rolls.

Originally, Alex at the hotel Comodoro was making this double Lancero for Prince Turki Saudi Arabia. I don't know if that's a Middle East thing, but not the first time I've seen that format associated with them (Like Saddam Hussein's sons). They were given to a friend of Michael Jordan's (Named Arturo) to let Michael try. He loved them, and of course wanted more. Apparently, it was Arturo who coined the MJ23, even though that wasn't the original intent. Arturo has even told me this himself. MJ could even be seen smoking these in his interviews on the Last Dance documentary. Arturo told me Michael said his mom was complaining about the cigar smoke smell the entire time. 😅

Now, what I don't know for fact, is that Ramaze was getting his hands on these and a lot of other custom rolls as we all know. As you may also know, he has a lot of haters. I get the distinct impression, he took a little too much credit for the creation idea, and naming of the MJ23. Thus the tension.

Arturo is on the right
IMG_0599.jpegIMG_0600.jpegIMG_0601.jpeg

Originally, Alex at the hotel Comodoro was making this double Lancero for Prince Turki Saudi Arabia. I don't know if that's a Middle East thing, but not the first time I've seen that format associated with them (Like Saddam Hussein's sons). They were given to a friend of Michael Jordan's (Named Arturo) to let Michael try. He loved them, and of course wanted more. Apparently, it was Arturo who coined the MJ23, even though that wasn't the original intent. Arturo has even told me this himself. MJ could even be seen smoking these in his interviews on the Last Dance documentary. Arturo told me Michael said his mom was complaining about the cigar smoke smell the entire time. 😅

Now, what I don't know for fact, is that Ramaze was getting his hands on these and a lot of other custom rolls as we all know. As you may also know, he has a lot of haters. I get the distinct impression, he took a little too much credit for the creation idea, and naming of the MJ23. Thus the tension.

Arturo is on the right
View attachment 81340View attachment 81341View attachment 81342
Is that you on the left?

Never heard of the MJ, the MJ23, Alex, Ramze or Michael Jordan. Did I missing something recently?
Hi Juan! Sorry for so many abbreviations. Details below:

MJ23 is an abbreviaton for Ghurka.

Alex and Ramze are the guys who make the cigars on the beach in Cabo with banana leaves.

Michael Jordan is Michael Jackson's alter ego, the one who played soccer for a year.

Arturo is on the right
View attachment 81340View attachment 81341View attachment 81342
Thanks for the additional info!

Do you know when the blend changed off that original batch, or when Alex stopped making them?

Great to have more info like this on the cigar. So many others claim to have/ sell mj23, but are really different rollers/ blends entirely.

Hi Juan! Sorry for so many abbreviations. Details below:

MJ23 is an abbreviaton for Ghurka.

Alex and Ramze are the guys who make the cigars on the beach in Cabo with banana leaves.

Michael Jordan is Michael Jackson's alter ego, the one who played soccer for a year.

Thanks for the additional info!

Do you know when the blend changed off that original batch, or when Alex stopped making them?

Great to have more info like this on the cigar. So many others claim to have/ sell mj23, but are really different rollers/ blends entirely.
Thanks.

The MJ's that I saw were in a box with the MJ 23 on it. They were cut to fit inside the box, so the uncut foot versions you see in the images are likely second versions. There is a mold for these cigars at EL. I do not believe he rolled them or any other cigars of his fame like the Puntilla, he just had the work done at EL by other rollers. David Savona wrote an article about these at CA a while back. Arturo in the MJ pic was known as "Art 305" in Facebook back in the day, did not find him when I looked. There are some rollers that are freestyling it without molds in Pinar and making these, they just use Granma newspapers. These were originally made for Uday Sadam Hussein, double banded with his name on them at EL 2003-2004 with a Cohiba box. John

Last edited: