• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Modus Cigar Tool - Draw Tool & Nubber

Bird-Dog

...and back again!
Reaction score
The Modus Cigar Tool is a unique accessory designed to enhance the cigar smoker's experience. It combines two handy tools into one very elegant format, a draw tool for improving airflow in cigars that are rolled too tightly, and a "nubber" for holding a very short remaining portion of a cigar (the "nub") to more safely continue smoking the cigar down to its very end.

Now available on Amazon in two color choices, "Maduro" and "Rosado", the Modus Cigar Tool sells for $39.99 and is eligible for free shipping. Also look for them "coming soon to a B&M near you!"

Three-piece threaded metal bands (brass or stainless steel ferrules, depending on the model) unscrew to reveal the stainless steel draw tool skewer (bottom) and twin stainless steel nubber needles (top) under the hollow wooden covers. The draw tool skewer is notched to facilitate removing small bits of tobacco when creating an air channel. This helps to ensure the air channel doesn’t close back up. Multiple passes with the draw tool may be necessary to resolve draw issues in extremely tightly rolled, or plugged, cigars. The draw tool is typically inserted from the head of the cigar after clipping, though it can be used from the foot of the cigar as well. For smaller ring gauge (RG) cigars, it is advisable to begin by only inserting the draw tool as far as the first notch (approximately 1”), then go progressively deeper on each subsequent pass. This will help to avoid splitting the cigar’s wrapper by creating too much internal pressure at once. It may take several passes to adequately improve the draw on some cigars. Nubber needles have a matte finish near the tips to help provide a more secure hold on the cigar. Both tools have extremely sharp points. KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN!

At 6 ¾” x 44 RG (or about ¾” diameter) when closed, the Modus Cigar Tool fits nicely in most cigar cases and travel humidors for carrying along… or just drop in your pocket with the wooden covers in place. High quality materials include exotic woods such as Rosewood on the Rosado model and Ebony on the Maduro. Note that these are natural woods with wood stain that will exhibit natural variation in color, tone, and grain. All Modus products carry a Lifetime Limited Warranty.

Modus-MAD-Group-w-text.jpg

Modus-ROS-Group-w-text.jpg

Are you a vendor or something? You posted one thing since January and then try to sell something. That doesn't look too good on your standing...just saying

Too his credit though it is in the right section. Do let us know if you or someone you know is the seller here. Best to be open.

Yes, I am a vendor, owner of Modus Design LLC. Hence, the reason I placed this in the sub-forum designated for retailers. We currently market B2C through Amazon (and opening with more and more B&M's every day).

However, I'm also a cigar enthusiast and enjoy reading forums as well as posting on them. One of the reasons that my CP postings are rather sparse, though, is that shortly after registering here I was asked to be a Moderator on another major cigar forum, one that I've been a member of for many years. That has significantly increased the amount of time spent there, not to mention being rather busy with the business end of launching this new product. Between the two, and trying to find time to enjoy a cigar as often as I can, that hasn't left as much time for posting as I'd like.

I apologize if you feel it rude of me to try to get the word out here about the Modus Cigar Tool. But, it is designed by cigar smokers for cigar smokers and has been very well received on other forums. Yes, it is my livelihood. But, I like to think it's also an enhancement to the enjoyment of fine cigars and do hope the folks here at CP will see it the same way.

Thank you for clearing it up. Having a retailer or manufacturer on the forum isn't so much a problem as long as they are up front about their posts and who they are. It's the shills and shameless spammers that tend to rub the group the wrong way around here.

Sorry for any confusion. I thought it obvious that I'm associated with the product by posting in the retailer section.

Bird-Dog is good people.

Good to see you here, ya dang ole curmudgeon. :p

Decent tool. I like the threads, otherwise, I'd never consider owning one.

That hookin' looks familiar.

What poker had it on it, curmudgeonista?
Notches? Don't know. Several I would think. Been using them on homemade pokers for years.... since about 2008, I think, maybe earlier. Was a natural to incorporate on the factory made models. Works quite well.

Clarification for others, curmudgeonista is my member name on some other forums.

Last edited:
There is a law in Texas for length of blade on a knife. While I grant you your "poker" is not in the pure sense a knife, I'm not sure how law enforcement would regard it.

All of that to ask how long is the poker tool? I would also ask what metal are the threads?

Thank you

Notches? Don't know. Several I would think. Been using them on homemade pokers for years.... since about 2008, I think, maybe earlier. Was a natural to incorporate on the factory made models. Works quite well.

Clarification for others, curmudgeonista is my member name on some other forums.

Yes. Notches...knurls...whatever the cut out parts are called.

There was a poke a few years back with the same pointy part...and notches.
I have it at home I believe. The point broke off - I think I still have the wood handle with a few inches of metal on it.
Same notches - that's why I ask.

BTW - nice design.

There is a law in Texas for length of blade on a knife. While I grant you your "poker" is not in the pure sense a knife, I'm not sure how law enforcement would regard it.

All of that to ask how long is the poker tool? I would also ask what metal are the threads?

Thank you
It's not a knife! But, the draw tool skewer is 3.75" long.

Threaded ferrules are brass on the Rosado and stainless steel on the Maduro.

I have it at home I believe. The point broke off - I think I still have the wood handle with a few inches of metal on it.

BTW - nice design.
It's a shame the tip broke on the poker you have. Ours carries a lifetime warranty. So, if you were to replace the one you have with a Modus you won't have to worry about it breaking too. In the rare event that it does, we'll replace it for free.

BTW - nice design.

Ah, I thought "hookin" was some sort of regional slang I hadn't heard of.

Ah, I thought "hookin" was some sort of regional slang I hadn't heard of.
It was actually brought up in a thread on that other forum.
A thread talking about how it acts and that you need to hook some tobacco out to really make it effective(which I'm not sold on.)

It's a shame the tip broke on the poker you have. Ours carries a lifetime warranty. So, if you were to replace the one you have with a Modus you won't have to worry about it breaking too. In the rare event that it does, we'll replace it for free.
That would have been fine if the company was still around.