• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moisten before smoking?

Mike $

On several occasions i've witnessed a fellow cigar smoker who, when he removes his stoge from the cello, he mouths/licks/moistens the whole cigar before he lights up.

Is this normal? If so, what are the benefits? I'm not trying to be funny here folks, just trying to be informed that's all.

Thank you all in advance for answering my questions, I truly LOVE THIS SITE!!

Mike $

I too have seen this, and I also saw a guy once who used his lighter to warm/dry the entire wrapper before lighting. I see no use for either one. IF a cigar is properly humidified then it needs neither wetting or drying. When I use to smoke King Edwards I would moisten the wrapper first, but that wrapper was naturally dry and was not made from whole leaf tobacco, and I found they burned better if moistened. With a good cigar it should only prove to make the wrapper burn slower, which makes no sence at all.

Right after I cut the cigar I moisten the edge so the tobacco won't go back in my mouth.

Like cvmfour I'll sometimes moisten the end if the cut wasn't perfectly clean to smooth any bits of wrapper that might be hanging off. I can't imagine why you would moisten the whole thing.

other1 said:
Like cvmfour I'll sometimes moisten the end if the cut wasn't perfectly clean to smooth any bits of wrapper that might be hanging off. I can't imagine why you would moisten the whole thing.
Exactly...Someboyd is a few fries short of a happy meal if they moisten the whole wrapper :p

Mike $ said:
On several occasions i've witnessed a fellow cigar smoker who, when he removes his stoge from the cello, he mouths/licks/moistens the whole cigar before he lights up.
Maybe they are licking it for taste?

With some cigars I often lick the cut end of the cigar many time during the smoke. On some I get the most wonderful slightly sweet taste to complement the other flavors of the smoke.

Bruce

I suck at cutting so I lick my finger and pat down the end of the cigar after I cut it. This helps to smooth out my cut and also removes dust or stray tobacco on the end of the cigar.

If I saw one of my friends licking their whole cigar before smoking it I would immediately ask them to revisit their decisions on sexual orientation.

That's just weird, licking your entire cigar.

Tony Bones said:
If I saw one of my friends licking their whole cigar before smoking it I would immediately ask them to revisit their decisions on sexual orientation.
This from the man who discusses penis cozies with moki. :lookup: :p

He probly saw it in a movie. Back in the day before proper humidors were common cigars tended to be very dry. Many smokers would wet them in this manner prior to lighting up.

I've only see one person do this and they had no idea what they were doing or why they did it.

Tony Bones said:

That's just weird, licking your entire cigar.
I think it depends which type friend was doing the licking of cigars. I know I would have no problem with watching this beauty lick an entire cigar:

:D

Old man Gary would lick his cigar to get it moist. Dunno why. Never bothered to ask neither. I agree, it goes back to the days where humidification was a proble. Back in the days when it was a cigar box, not a humidor. An it was common to put a slice of apple in the cigar box every few days.

Emo

I agree with lucasbuck, I've seen the old timers who smoked White Owls etc. moisten the whole cigar due to lack of humidification.

One of the local shops here offers to "dip" the end into Cognac...never done it but hey one way to get the alcohol in at the same time.

Rnccen

cvmfour said:
Exactly...Someboyd is a few fries short of a happy meal if they moisten the whole wrapper :p
My son gets his happy meal with apples now instead of fries. Are you implying there is something wrong with him? :p

I would suspect some sort of phallic obsession seeing a dude lick the whole stick down before smoking it. I moisten the head of a cigar after clipping and briefly before to prevent the wrapper from unraveling. I can't imaging WTF you would want to lick the whole thing for.

My father-in-law will dip the head of the cigar into whatever he is drinking before lighting it up. I don't see the need to do that either though. I guess its whatever you like as long as you don't lick the whole damned thing like that freak friend of yours! :sign:

Matt